Zika

Options
kristisanchez11
kristisanchez11 Posts: 30 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Anyone else worried about Zika? Just found out I'm pregnant - due in Oct. Although there isn't Zika being spread in the U.S. yet (helps that it's still winter!)... some people are expecting an outbreak this summer. Pretty scary to know that a little mosquito bite could lead to major birth defect!

Has anyone started looking into Zika prevention for pregnant women? Has anyone asked their doctors about risks, etc.?

Replies

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    So what has been reported is that they are working on a vaccine, but it will not be available/ready to use in the general public for about 2 years. Otherwise there is no preventative measures other than not getting bitten by a mosquito and not having intercourse with an infected individual. Also, even though it seems extremely apparent, they haven't conclusively linked Zika infection with birth defects (essentially they don't have definitive medical proof from studies). I really hope that Zika doesn't become an issue in N.A. because the effects of microcephaly are terrifying, the images from south america and personal stories on the news broke my heart, and made me squeeze my little guy a little tighter. I'm planning on trying for #2 in a few months (I hope).
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    They have not even established the link between the zika virus and microencephaly yet - it is all based on epidemiological studies (i.e. rise of cases in mosquito/Zika areas). There has been as suggestion that the rise in number of cases in Brazil is due to the insecticide they use to prevent mosquitos contaminating water supplies (which would coincide with the same areas).

Also I would expect it to have the most damaging effect in the first trimester when the brain is developing. So try not to worry unnecessarily but do take sensible precautions like mosquito repellents and long sleeves.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I looked into it. The only prevention is the same prevention you would do to prevent mosquito bites - sprays, sleeves, etc. There are no medical interventions right now. So prevent it the same way you'd prevent yourself from getting West Nile.
  • katsoslim
    katsoslim Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    We paid a specialized mosquito repellant company to spray our yard (all natural, main ingredient is Rosemary) every 2 weeks all summer to avoid any risk. We live outside of Chicago but figure why chance it? Mosquito spread viruses can get serious, fast.
  • thegirlwthegreenapple
    thegirlwthegreenapple Posts: 40 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have worried too! Wearing repellent like crazy
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm not real worried. As of last Thursday there were 246 pregant women in the US with Zika. None got Zika in the continental US. They are either in a US territory or traveled to a country with Zika. The CDC is putting out a release every Thursday so just check their site. It does suck that I had to cancel our Thanksgiving trip to Puerto Rico, but I'm hopeful that maybe Florida won't have cases and I can go there instead.
  • lauraaleshire
    lauraaleshire Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There is evidence at this point that Zika is linked to microencephaly. That being said, there are no cases of domestic transmission yet. For now the most important thing is that you and your partner avoid travel to countries in which transmission has occurred.
    http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/index.html