Week 1 Topic - PROTEIN INTAKE

Options
PeacefulUnicorn
PeacefulUnicorn Posts: 28 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
Protein Fact Sheet

What is it?
Protein is one of the major nutrients that the body requires in adequate amounts every day. Proteins are made up of ‘building blocks’ called amino acids. There are 21 amino acids that are arranged in different ways to make the proteins found in foods, and the proteins that are made by the body. Many of these amino acids are essential, meaning that the body cannot make them and they must be supplied from the diet. A protein that contains all of the essential amino acids, it is considered a complete protein. Soy and all animal sources of protein are complete. If one or more of the essential amino acids is missing, then the protein is considered incomplete. With the exception of soy protein, vegetable sources of protein are considered to be incomplete. But, when a range of incomplete plant proteins is consumed, it is generally not difficult to provide the body with all the essential amino acids.

What does it do?
Protein has many important functions in the body. One of the primary roles of protein is to manufacture important body structures including muscles, organs, skin and hair. Hormones and enzymes are vital proteins that help the body perform various functions, and are manufactured from the amino acids supplied from dietary protein.

Why is it important?
Without adequate protein, the body would not be able to grow, or to repair everyday wear and tear on muscle tissue. The hormones, enzymes and other specialized body proteins that are made by the body from the proteins in food are necessary to survival. If protein intake is inadequate, the body may begin to break down body tissues to provide the amino acids that are needed to maintain body functions.

Where is it found?
Protein in the diet is supplied from animal sources (meat, fish, poultry, eggs and milk) as well as plant sources (legumes, nuts and whole grains). Protein powders, made from a variety of protein sources, can also be added to other foods to boost protein content.

How much is needed?

Daily protein needs depend on an individual’s age, body size and composition, fitness level and lifestyle. A large, physically active male might need between 100g and 200g of protein per day, while a small female might only need 75g to 100g of protein per day.

I found this resource online:

https://au.myherbalife.com/Content/en-AU/pdf/ToolsAndTraining/NutritionAndScience/Ingredients/Protein_fact_sheet.pdf

Replies

• pmason79
    pmason79 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Is
    Daily protein needs depend on an individual’s age, body size and composition, fitness level and lifestyle. A large, physically active male might need between 100g and 200g of protein per day, while a small female might only need 75g to 100g of protein per day.

https://au.myherbalife.com/Content/en-AU/pdf/ToolsAndTraining/NutritionAndScience/Ingredients/Protein_fact_sheet.pdf

I'm sure I read somewhere that you need to consume 1g of protein for every lb of lean body mass. ( so that's not including the weight of body fat )

Not sure how true

Bless x

• MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It depends on activity level. Body builders go for the 1g per pound of lean mass, up to 1g per pound of total mass. Most fall in a range between .5g and 1g per pound of lean mass. I adjusted my targets last week to take this into account, as I was concerned about losing muscle mass along with fat. This changed my percentages from 55% fat and 25% protein to 50% fat and 30% protein. Doesn't seem like a huge shift, but I'm having a bit of trouble hitting that protein target along with my calorie deficit. It requires large amounts of extra lean meats.
    I'm a dedicated carnivore, but there are times I would rather have the lone bratwurst instead of the entire boneless ham steak.
  • PeacefulUnicorn
    PeacefulUnicorn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    pmason79 wrote: »
    Is

I'm sure I read somewhere that you need to consume 1g of protein for every lb of lean body mass. ( so that's not including the weight of body fat )

Not sure how true

Bless x

PMason - I work with clients regularly and that is also what I typically recommend, but as Markus mentioned, it definitely depends of their goals and body type. I eat roughly 110g of protein a day, but that is because I am looking to add muscle (while reducing fat). When I am in maintenance, I do not consume as many grams of protein. In my opinion, it really just depends what you are looking for.
  • sweetad
    sweetad Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I, too, have trouble reaching my protein goals because I'm a vegetarian.
  • jibeirish
    jibeirish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    sweetad wrote: »

you could try hemp protein powder :)
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    I topped off my protein target last night with three tilapia fillets. Brushed the pan and tops of the fish with a light coat of olive oil, seasoned with black pepper and Weber mango lime seafood seasoning, and baked in the toaster oven at 450F for 10 minutes. Pretty darn tasty.

I have no idea how a vegetarian would go about having a solid protein intake at the same time as running a calorie deficit. If there are any plant foods that are high in protein without a ton of carbohydrates and/or fats, I don't know what they are. If eggs are ok, one could try a lot of egg whites. I'm a big fan of whole eggs, but the yolks do have a lot of fat (proportionally) which would make it more difficult to hit a specific protein target without going over on calories.

Looking to broaden my base for high protein foods, I'm about to hit google (actually, duck duck go) to see if I can find anything on foods with at least 7g protein per 100 calories... that's what it takes to hit 30%, since protein is 4 - 4.5 calories per gram.
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake in the morning or before bed mixed with 1 cup of oats, 2 tbsp of peanut butter and a tsp of cinnamon and 2 scoops of muscle tech nitro
  • Meesamoop
    Meesamoop Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I drink whey protein powder with some almond milk to get that extra boost of protein. Bought a shaker cup off Amazon, which made mixing the powder into the shake much easier!
  • gkjefferson
    gkjefferson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, protein shakes can help you top it off. If you eat eggs, Jay Robb has an egg white protein powder that comes in chocolate and vanilla. I normally use it with unsweetened almond milk and heavy cream. I'm on a Keto diet (that's why I add the extra cream)...but you can dress it up to fit your macros.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    I bought some whey protein isolate powder to try tonight, vanilla flavor. Tastes alright, but I guess it's impossible to find a protein powder that doesn't have that chalky texture when mixed.
    Also decided to go ahead and cut my protein goal back to 25% (148g). Trying to hit 165 just took too much variety out of my diet. The new goal works out to .67g per pound of lean mass at my desired goal weight and composition.
  • LoveLifeLiveHealthy
    LoveLifeLiveHealthy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake that is made out of pea protein and I love it. It doesn't have the chalky texture, it actually is like a milkshake, so good. I use coconut milk to mix mine and sometimes sneak in a little spinach and blueberries. It is very low in sugar,fat, has no dairy or soy. I get it from a company called Arbonne.
  • sweetad
    sweetad Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake in the morning or before bed mixed with 1 cup of oats, 2 tbsp of peanut butter and a tsp of cinnamon and 2 scoops of muscle tech nitro

You have protein BEFORE Bed? Doesn't that interfere with sleep?
  • HarperAnn6
    HarperAnn6 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I recently added back fish to my diet after twenty-two years of vegetarianism. I wanted another protein option. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy the fish unless it is fried:(

I find I have a few essential sources of protein: Greek yogurt, Tara's Organic Grass Fed Whey protein powder ($$$!!!), cottage cheese, and egg whites (so sick of egg whites). I have to work extremely hard to meet my protein goal and keep my carbs down. Most vegetarian sources of protein (plant-based) are also very high in carbs. I am not low-carb, but I try to keep my carbs under 110 a day.

Thank you for the hemp powder suggestion; I will try it out. Incidentally, here is a great high protein smoothie recipe that really isn't too bad for you:

-almond milk (or almond coconut blend), unsweetened
    -two scoops protein powder
    -frozen peaches (1/2 cup to 1 cup, let them sit out for about five minutes before blending)
    -cinnamon
    -vanilla extract
    -if needed, sprinkle of powdered stevia

The frozen peaches and vanilla extract make this smoothie recipe reminiscent of ice-cream... ahhhhh.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options

Why would it? I've never heard of that one.

Old, unhealthy eating me (you know, last month) was prone to late night binging on all kinds of lunchmeat, cheese and whatnot (plus carby stuff) right before going to bed. Never seemed to affect my sleep. Of course my sleep patterns are already screwed up by staying up too late, falling asleep in front of the computer and generally just not spending enough time on the mattress.

Managed to hit my protein target today. Granted there was protein powder mixed with whole milk, and two pork chops in the mix, but I wasn't sitting here at midnight going, "dear lord, I need 70 more grams of protein in less than 300 calories... I have to eat a pound of turkey, ugh."

• andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Yep before bed, in the morning, mid day, just depends on where I need to fit it in, and naw no effects with sleep at all, the baby does that to me enough :p
  • Laura_Jean_76
    Laura_Jean_76 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bought some protein powdered yesterday ,chocolate not to bad. today I added coconut yogurt with some mix nuts and blend taste good.