Anime fans?

Options
Clo747
Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
I'm not much for manga or graphic novels; that's not wherein my nerdliness lies. But I was hoping to gain some anime friends, if you're out there...? My favourites are Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin, and Gintama. I'm currently watching a few but enjoying Re:Zero. Would also highly recommend Erased, as even my non-anime watching hubby loved it.

Replies

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I just started Sword Art Online and I'm like it a lot. I'm also a huge Studio Ghibli fan! I like Cowboy Bebop and Fairy Tail as well. I'm quite picky and have a low tolerance for the squeaky female characters in many shows. :) Ooo, have you ever seen Claymore? That one is very good as well.
  • Clo747
    Options
    I really liked the premise of SAO, I just didn't love the way it ended up playing out. I've not seen Claymore or Fairy Tail and I know it's utter blasphemy in the anime world, but I just couldn't get into Bebop! I may go back one day, but it's hard enough keeping up with all the newer releases! I'm on a few right now (Bungo Stray Dogs is enjoyable) and have several that I intend to catch up with...still need to watch FMA:Brotherhood! I'm not too picky, but when things get incesty, I'm out! Lol! Not my bag. Are you on MAL?
  • shinycrazy
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Where do you watch? We have Funimations streaming service and netflix.
    I can totally get not being into bebop, they are really just a bunch of thieves, and not very good ones at that. I'm about to show my n00b status here, but I have no idea what MAL is. :wink:
  • Clo747
    Options
    I watch on Crunchyroll or download what I can't find on there. No, don't be silly! I'm in no way NOT a noob, too! MAL is My Anime List. You can keep track of what you've seen, what you're watching or what you want to see...get recommendations, take part in discussions... I use it, really, for my own devices and to get ideas on what to watch next. I don't so much go into the forums.
  • shinycrazy
    Options
    Ooo!! That sounds awesome! my husband would like that too. He's more into it than I am. I'll have to check that out.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I used to watch a ton of anime before it got mainstream and on tv. Sadly aside from the crappy stuff adult swim tends to show I have no idea what's out there as our local FYE carries very little. I went to an anime con in Pittsburgh and had no idea what half the costumes were from these days. I do like Sword Art Online and need to get the box sets. I haven't bought any anime in a while aside from the multiple remakes of Appleseed. I'm hoping for another season of ghost in the shell: stand alone but after that last crappy reboot they did with a teenage major i've lost faith in them.
  • Clo747
    Options
    I've heard so much about Ghost in the Shell, but have never seen it! I haven't seen too many classics, actually, so have a bit of a backlog to catch up on...eventually. But I do like the some of the new things coming out!
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I like Ghost in the Shell as well. I have both of the movies and the Stand Alone Complex series.

My only issues is that now I have gotten older I can't sit and watch TV or shows. I like having them play in the background as I'm working on projects. I know it sounds bad, but I would rather listen to the Dubbed versions then the Subbed. Mostly because I will walk out of the room and come back and not know what is going on.
  • Clo747
    Options
    I should probably get around to watching it! I prefer subbed because I really enjoy the cadence of the Japanese language. I think it's quite beautiful. And it forces me to pay attention! Lol... But I can understand if you're doing other things how dubbed can be useful. I watched Inuyasha and Bleach in dub and still enjoyed the series. I'm not one who is overly precious about that sort of thing.
  • ladyraiah
    ladyraiah Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been watching Full Metal Alchemist and really like it. I really enjoyed the first season of RWBY. I started Bleach but have only watched the first 1 or 2 episodes. Does anyone know where you can get Cowboy Bebop? I've heard it's really good but haven't found a source to stream or rent it, and I really don't want to buy it.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You could see if a local library or a local Anime club.
  • Clo747
    Options
    @ladyraiah Are you watching the old version or Brotherhood? I think Brotherhood is meant to more closely follow the manga, but I thought the first one was excellent either way! Bleach is long and meanders a bit when it caught up with the manga, but you can find lists that help you watch the whole thing filler free! You can skip whole swathes of episodes and not be missing any of the core story, so it's quite nice if you start to dislike a certain part or get bored with it.
  • ladyraiah
    ladyraiah Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    @Clo747 I'm watching the old version. I was going to watch brotherhood next, I assumed it was a sequel of sorts. Good to know about Bleach, I'll look for a list when I get back into it. I was super excited to se Rurouni Kenshin on Netflix, I read most of the manga and really enjoyed the story. Is Ghost in the Shell on crunchy roll? I've heard good things about that one and I think a movie is coming out next year. Guess now as my shows are ending for the summer I have some anime to catch up on!
  • Clo747
    Options
    ladyraiah wrote: »
    @Clo747 I'm watching the old version. I was going to watch brotherhood next, I assumed it was a sequel of sorts. Good to know about Bleach, I'll look for a list when I get back into it. I was super excited to se Rurouni Kenshin on Netflix, I read most of the manga and really enjoyed the story. Is Ghost in the Shell on crunchy roll? I've heard good things about that one and I think a movie is coming out next year. Guess now as my shows are ending for the summer I have some anime to catch up on!
    No, it's a retelling, but is meant to be better. More faithful to the source material. I've had it on my list for ages, so must get around to watching it! Kenshin is so worth the watch! It's one of my faves! I never read the manga, but think they did a great job telling the story. Don't know about Ghost in the Shell, though.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,693 Member
    Options
    Fukushima :heart: is going to be in the upcoming "Ghost in the Shell" movie it sounds like: http://www.hofmag.com/rila-fukushima-ghost-in-the-shell/155720 - too bad about the whitewashing though (pet peeve).
  • shinycrazy
    Options
    Clo747 wrote: »
    I really liked the premise of SAO, I just didn't love the way it ended up playing out.

I just finished SAO yesterday and agree that it got really weird! Uncomfortable even. Very strange twist.
  • Clo747
    Options
    I'm never cool when anime treats incest like it's sexy or acceptable in some way...! Lol! Too out there for my tastes!
  • orochiwarrior
    orochiwarrior Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love Anime. I am watching Sangoku Basara: Samurai Kings and Ghost in the Shell: Arise at the moment . I added Eden of the East and Black Lagoon to my collection last weekend.
  • Clo747
    Options
    I love Anime. I am watching Sangoku Basara: Samurai Kings and Ghost in the Shell: Arise at the moment . I added Eden of the East and Black Lagoon to my collection last weekend.
    I've never seen ANY of those! Quite the list - let us know how you get on! X
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've been into anime most my life (digimon, pokemon, cardcaptor sakura, sailor moon), but I didn't know what it actually was until I was in 6th grade (since 2003). Since then, I have obviously branched out a bit and discovered tons of new titles. Some of my favorites include Full Metal Alchemist (both, but Brotherhood is better), Sword Art Online, Sailor Moon Crystal, Deadman Wonderland, Inukami, Noragami, and Speed Grapher.