Dairy

Options
SelfHelpJunky
SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I was curious....What has your experience been with low-carbing and cutting/minimizing dairy? I notice that I tend to lose weight faster when I cut it out as much as possible (cheese in particular). What are everyone's thoughts?

Replies

• morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love cheese but maybe I need to go without it for a week and see what that does. I'm curious to see what the replies will be!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Cheese plugs me up (if ya know what I mean). That's only if I eat it everyday. One a week ~ no problems.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I know that it slows my rate of loss, but doesn't stop it all together. One thing I've done with regards to cheese, is no longer purchasing the bags of shredded cheese. They add corn starch to keep it from sticking together! I now grate my own!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I started off with eating lots of cheese and I wad sabotaging myself. All but cut it out and the loss is back on track. I eat some....maybe on a burger but never to bump my fat now.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    One thing I've done with regards to cheese, is no longer purchasing the bags of shredded cheese. They add corn starch to keep it from sticking together! I now grate my own!

Da**! One more carb-hiding item for the Gotcha! List.

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Cheese n nuts were on my use with caution list. Too tempting to overeat. Now I realise for me they cause inflamation and headaches so both off of my edigble list.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    One thing I've done with regards to cheese, is no longer purchasing the bags of shredded cheese. They add corn starch to keep it from sticking together! I now grate my own!

I've seen potato starch more often than corn. I don't buy Sargento shredded because it has more carbs but Kraft and my store brands seem fine. A 1oz portion of cheese will have like 0.5 carb anyway, so you add about 0.5 carb per portion of pre-screened.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

I've seen potato starch more often than corn. I don't buy Sargento shredded because it has more carbs but Kraft and my store brands seem fine. A 1oz portion of cheese will have like 0.5 carb anyway, so you add about 0.5 carb per portion of pre-screened.

I avoid the pre-shredded varieties, not because of the carb count but because if you're trying to minimize grain stuffs for digestive health reasons it's just one more item to look out for. And don't get me started on what I call "Cheese Dust" -- that alleged Parmesan cheese in the green shaker box. EVERYBODY should avoid that because it's a tasteless insult to a fine cheese product.

• SelfHelpJunky
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Cheese plugs me up (if ya know what I mean). That's only if I eat it everyday. One a week ~ no problems.

Dan the Man from Michigan

That seems to be my issue, too! I haven't been eating cheese as a snack but when I have a little bit on a salad or burger I seem to be ok. It's so easy to overdo it, though. At least for me.
  • SelfHelpJunky
    Options

I avoid the pre-shredded varieties, not because of the carb count but because if you're trying to minimize grain stuffs for digestive health reasons it's just one more item to look out for. And don't get me started on what I call "Cheese Dust" -- that alleged Parmesan cheese in the green shaker box. EVERYBODY should avoid that because it's a tasteless insult to a fine cheese product.

My thoughts exactly! When I get cheese I get the good stuff.

• cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wont give up cheese because then I would have practically nothing to eat. I need my dairy products to add variety to my almost carb free diet.

But I do avoid the pre-shredded packages ever since I found out the US FDA has approved chemically treated sawdust (virgin wood) to be put in the packages. I don't want to pay for or eat saw dust with chemicals in my cheese. Look on the package. If it includes cellulose, it could be sawdust. Some other shredded plants are also approved by the US FDA so it is Not always sawdust but some other waste product I'm sure. Corporations, feeding you crap and calling it good.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, 'cellulose' ..... just a fancied up term for filler. Watch out for ice cream ingredients too. If it isn't just cream/milk, natural flavour of your choice, sweetener of your choice, and possibly eggs (if it's a custard base) you are getting ripped off.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I used to eat what I thought was too much cheese - but when I went keto 9 months ago, I ended up eating more. I was losing at 2lbs a week for several months - no problems. I'm less carefull in my eating now, still consuming lots of cheese and losing a lb a week.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't lose when having dairy, especially cheese. I eat cheese very rarely. The only dairy that I have daily is butter. I am a little lactose intolerant. I wonder if you have some degree of lactose intolerance it affects weight. Since butter is very low in lactose it does not affect me.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I know that it slows my rate of loss, but doesn't stop it all together. One thing I've done with regards to cheese, is no longer purchasing the bags of shredded cheese. They add corn starch to keep it from sticking together! I now grate my own!

In the US, the "powdered cellulose" they add to avoid caking is usually sawdust, ewww... Costco has some shredded varieties (mostly the Parmesan and Romano) that don't have cellulose added, though.