Welcome! Introductions please!

Options
Xpecta
Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
Welcome! This is where new members can introduce themselves and tell us their story! We ALL have a story and each of them is worth telling!

Hello! My name is Krystal. I'm 26 years old. I've been married 8 years and have 3 beautiful children. I've struggled with my weight for many years. Through high-school I was chunky. I probably could have easily lost the weight had I known how then. After my first pregnancy (And through breastfeeding) I gained roughly 100 pounds. It was life changing for me, for the worst. My weight yo-yo'd for a while. Losing then getting pregnant. Losing then getting pregnant. It was awful. So I'm still working on losing all my baby weight from 8 years ago. It's been a long journey battling depression and anxiety. Working through emotional eating. But I know that it will be worth it all in the end.

Some other things about me: I love Jesus! He is the center of my world and heart. I'm also a huge Backstreet Boys Fan! Since I was 8 years old! I'm currently writing a novel. It's a Christian fantasy. So far I'm. Pretty proud of it :) I live in BC Canada and have only lived in 3 different cities in my life.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Replies

• angela259
    angela259 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Krystal! My name is Angie. I am 30 years old. I am a Nurse, Mother and Sunday School teacher. My husband and I coach for the Special Olympics and run a non- profit for special needs families. My life is pretty busy, we are not home often. This leads to a LOT of eating out and late night eating after long shifts at the hospital. My weight has been steadily increasing, and with sporadic dieting, I feel defeated. I feel like I am active but I am self sabotaging with my diet! I hope to find friends here so we can support each other with no shaming. Thank you for making this group :smile:
  • Xpecta
    Options
    Wow!! That is busy!! No kidding. Is there a way you can pack your own dinner so you could pre log your food? I find that when I'm running around like crazy that really helps. Then you don't have your think about it.

I self sabotage as well. All the time. I just weighed myself and because of my sodium intake yesterday I'm up like 8 pounds!! Ugh!! But I feel more determined now!
  • angela259
    Options
    We have been using the crock pot more and that has helped. I am the only one who cooks in our family (my husband is terrible in the kitchen) I need to make dinners and bring them to work, but Rob waits for me to get home and hasn't eaten him self or our daughter, Emily. Rob is naturally thin and works out quite a bit, so he can eat anything and not worry..... jerk. :wink: he answer is too often take out. Luckily he is willing to learn how to cook.

My biggest problem is that I binge eat when I am home alone. I'm not sure why I do this, then I feel guilty about it. I often weigh myself everyday, which I know isn't good.
  • MSJourneylog
    MSJourneylog Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi Krystal and Angela! My life isn't near as busy as you guys! I'm 25 and have no kids. I work in a call centre now (overnights) and I worked at Subway before this. I currently have a whopping 175lbs to lose! I also very bad for stress eating! Well, I'm going to change that... or rather I'm currently changing this! :smiley:B)B)B)
  • Xpecta
    Options
    Good for you MS!! It's a long long journey. Depending on how this month goes, I might make this a permanent group! You got this!

Angie, great job on using the crock pot! Definitely a useful tool!! Sometimes I'll make my own separate meal when others want a more unhealthy choice:)
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi. Call me Natasha, ok? I am 65, and have struggled with binge eating all my life. Sad predictable childhood. Mom had same issues, which is just one of my childhood traumas. Not to worry, overall I am a well-enough survivor. But the binging continues. This is a great place for me to be, so THANK YOU. Today, thanks to this group, I exercised when stressful situation led to nervous energy. I have a master's in PE and wellness, so this is easy for me to do, and I would be glad to lend exercise ideas in detail to anyone. I also wrote on this board what I intended to eat today, and was motivated to do so. I have prepared a bottle of water to take to bed with me, and intend to go get it in a minute. Later all....
  • Xpecta
    Options
    Wow wow wow!!! That is so encouraging for me! Thank you so much for your kind words and sharing your story with us Natasha!

I'm so proud of you for getting up and getting to it!! So excellent! Thanks for joining!
  • angela259
    Options
    ltssharon wrote: »
    Hi. Call me Natasha, ok? I am 65, and have struggled with binge eating all my life. Sad predictable childhood. Mom had same issues, which is just one of my childhood traumas. Not to worry, overall I am a well-enough survivor. But the binging continues. This is a great place for me to be, so THANK YOU. Today, thanks to this group, I exercised when stressful situation led to nervous energy. I have a master's in PE and wellness, so this is easy for me to do, and I would be glad to lend exercise ideas in detail to anyone. I also wrote on this board what I intended to eat today, and was motivated to do so. I have prepared a bottle of water to take to bed with me, and intend to go get it in a minute. Later all....

My mother and sister are binge eaters as well, and my father and sister are alcoholics. My mother is unwilling to get help and is now having health problems. My sister is currently in therapy. So, I don't have a great support in these issues, clearly they are just trying to handle themselves too. I'm glad we are all here for eachother :smile:
  • Xpecta
    Options
    Oh wow. That is so hard! I'm sorry to hear that. It's so difficult when we don't have support from people we need it from most! We're all here for you though! It's so great that you've decided to make this great change for yourself! You're a warrior!
  • Ohiomom91
    Ohiomom91 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone my name is Tracy. I'm 46 years old and have been a binge eater my entire adult life. I've gained and lost 100 pounds half a dozen times. It's more difficult for me now that I'm an empty nester. Im looking forward to getting to know you all.
  • angela259
    Options
    Hi Tracy :smile:
  • Xpecta
    Options
    Welcome Tracy! Wow! Losing a hundred pounds is huge. It sucks that you gained it back, but at least you know you can do it! We can be a support for your maintenance!
  • spargot
    spargot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good evening. I found this group while browsing the website and would love to take the challenge.
  • Xpecta
    Options
    Absolutely! Welcome!! How are you doing today?
  • turtlelover37
    turtlelover37 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hi
  • Xpecta
    Options
    hi

HI :) Would you like to introduce yourself?
  • ltssharon
    Options
    Hi turtlelover37 and spargot
  • MerKat
    MerKat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm MerKat. I'm a single mom of two amazing and challenging kids (3 and 5 - 14 months apart). I work full time, live in the Los Angeles area. And I really appreciate you having a thread regarding this. Usually, I'm a lurker and I don't comment online, but I've decided I need to change some habits and hopefully find some people who can commiserate and understand. Which will hopefully lead to some strength in changing other habits. Right now, I'm the heaviest I've ever been besides being pregnant. It's been a bit of a stressful last few years--get married, move across country (DC area), gain weight, have two children, get divorced, move back across country (SoCal), get new job, try to balance everything!

However, for the last year or so, I cannot control the binge eating. I'll do fine during the week or even a week or two, but come the weekend and all bets are off.

I should probably move some of this to the "shame" thread, but I don't just feel shame, I feel a sort-of anger. Does anyone else feel that, like angry defiance, "I work so hard during the week, keeping all the plates spinning, I just want to sit and eat what I want". Eat a drumstick (the ice cream, not chicken), which flips the switch and then all the drumsticks are gone) and that's just the start of a binge.

I really want to get a handle on this because I think my daughter may model my food behavior (she's the three-year-old and a great eater). My son, who is 5 and on the spectrum is very particular with his food, he's actually very restrictive with what he eats (so I'm concerned for another reason regarding his food) but he'll I doubt he'll ever binge eat.

Wow, that was a long introduction! Hopefully being part of a community like this will help me break through some habits or give me ideas on how to handle the binge urges and/or aftermath. I've read that compulsive/binge eating could be related to anxiety - has anyone more information regarding this or tips to reduce stress that may bring on binge urges. (Krystal, would you prefer me to move this question to another thread or is here ok?)
  • ltssharon
    Options
    Yes, I also feel that. I dropped off this board for a while = busy binging.
    Anger - what to do with it?