Carbs

Options
aquamomma
aquamomma Posts: 10 Member
Wondering what percentage and/or grams of carbs everyone eats? My A1C which has been very stable for years recently jumped up over 1 pt in 3 months. I cant get my bg below 200 before or after meals, even with the addition of new meds. If i eat 20 grams or less i have been able to get it down, but I have been starving!

Replies

• wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat up to about 20-45 grams per meal. My fingerstick readings are very variable. I don't do much better with less carbs. As long as those carbs are veggies or whole grains, Some fruits are bad for me, like bananas. My doc wants me to watch out for the "glycemic index" as much as the total carb load.
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I try to stay below 45 grams a meal. But it also depends on if there is any fatty foods I am eating since the body tends to absorb those over longer time period. If I were you I would add more free food choices like vegetables and drinking more water.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Less than 20g carbs a day.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed insulin with your doctor? There comes a point for many T2 diabetics when the beta cells of the pancreas burnout and no longer secrete insulin making managing BG with oral meds ineffective

For me that point came 22 years ago and since I started insulin my A1C has been in the 5.7-6.0 range ever since. I take long acting insulin twice a day and short acting with meals based on the quantity of carbs consumed. On a day with normal activity I eat 150-200 gms of carbs
    on days with heavy endurance exercise I might eat up to 400
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get a 1200 calories diet, with 35% of those calories from carbs, which comes to 105 a day. Because of a surgical error, I have only 50% of my pancreas left, so I also have to really watch my fat intake.

Ken, what do you eat to only have 20g crabs a day? Maybe it would help me with my diet plan?
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get a 1200 calories diet, with 35% of those calories from carbs, which comes to 105 a day. Because of a surgical error, I have only 50% of my pancreas left, so I also have to really watch my fat intake.

Ken, what do you eat to only have 20g crabs a day? Maybe it would help me with my diet plan?

My diary is open for the world to see. :)
    Low Carb, Moderate Protein, High Fat
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't track my carbs but if I had to guess, I stay well under 100 most days. My last a1c was 5.9. I am still hoping to get it back down to a normal range but haven't gone full keto yet. Not against it, I know it works, I'm just not that disciplined. My struggle is eating to much protein, which still acts like carbs. Before I would ever consider insulin, I would crack down even more on carbs if it were me.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am maintaining now and I eat 40g carbs at each of the 6 meals/snacks I consume. 20 comes from fruit 4 servings a day and 20 comes from starchy like bread or cereal and that is 5 of the meals. It's combined in every single meal with either protein from typical sourced (20g) or dairy 10g protein and the usual ton of veggies. If you can eat 24 almonds that is about 1 oz and keeps you wonderfully full and doesn't alter your blood sugar.
    I got a specific plan from a dietician and eating often (every 3 hours) works for me. I am never hungry. Some diabetics can't tolerate this amount of carbs but you could reduce it as I did before I lost all my weight. In addition to that many carbs the dietician said pick the highest fibre items I can. I eat around 50g fibre a day all from my food. No supplements. I thought for sure the fruit would put me through the roof and still I rarely eat bananas and never white bread. My blood sugar is good with this format but it's very individual...you might be best to see a dietician.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Ken, I checked out your diary. I can't eat like that because of the fat retrictions due to the pancreatitis.
    Plus I save those exciting chicken broth dinners if I need a 'clear fluid' diet for a few day. :D
  • aquamomma
    aquamomma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm trying to stay off insulin, so my doctor is giving me a chance to try and get it down, but I already have some minor kidney/neuropathy issues so I have to be extremely careful.
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    aquamomma wrote: »
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm trying to stay off insulin, so my doctor is giving me a chance to try and get it down, but I already have some minor kidney/neuropathy issues so I have to be extremely careful.

The only diet that works for many diabetics is to eliminate all simple carbs, drastically reduce even complex carbs (net carbs <50g/day), and exercise (walking and also some resistance training). It takes several days-couple weeks to adapt, but the hunger pangs disappear for most people who stick with it long enough.

Many people who have had success with this type of diet also swear by "intermittent fasting" to help lower their blood sugar.

People tend to underestimate how much they're eating in general - especially carbs. So in order to give it a fair shot, you'd need to make a plan (if you could you commit 3-4 months) with limited carbs and calories. You would monitor and accurately record everything you eat or drink, resist the urge to eat carbs and calories off plan, check your blood sugar before and after every meal, and read up on how ketogenic diets work. There are many variations, not just a single rigid formula.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    aquamomma wrote: »

@aquamomma - That is a great goal!

The low-carb route has worked well for me, and was after years of unsuccessfully following a low-fat diet that I finally decided to give it a try. (Better late than never, it turns out.....)

Of course, everyone's different, and what's good for the goose may not flatter the gander....

But if you're curious, the low-carbers group here has a "LaunchPad" item that's a good collection of resources folks have compiled over the years:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

There is a wide variety of T2Ds like you and I who participate in the group, and they offer all sorts of interesting insights. The best part - there are many success stories!

Good luck!
  • sheilaparsleyministries
    Options
    45 per meal but I'm trying to stay under 40
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I aim for no more than 40g net carbs per day.

Best bet - keep your BG meter handy and test compulsively, as if you were working on a science fair project with yourself as the subject!