Gas at the Gym?

Options
The high protein in my diet is causing uncontrollable gas at the gym especially when I'm doing cardio. My headphones are in and I'm listening to Josh and Chuck so I can't hear it but the people around me sure can. I can see their faces in the mirror. Anything to help curb unwanted flatulence?

Replies

• MelodyBri
    MelodyBri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ummm, look at the person next to you and give them the stink eye indicating it is them..... other than that I don't know. Most people seem to have headphones on anyways so not sure how much they can hear or the overhead gym music is really loud.
  • ama1830
    ama1830 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried GasX?
  • ShootingduckswithChuckers
    Options
    I have in the past. I think Gas X is more for stomach discomfort though.
  • brandanmajeske
    brandanmajeske Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could try a pre-workout pitstop in the restroom to... ehem... unburden yourself of the gas, etc.
    Options
    Definitely part of my routine. I also adjourn to the restroom between cardio and weights for a tuba solo. But all of the body movement during cardio seems to shake me lose. There is no way I'm the only one with this problem.
  • RudeGirll
    RudeGirll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I had this problem, as well. Never found a solution, just switched to biking to avoid it haha
  • brandanmajeske
    Options
    Do you workout in the am before you eat or later in the day? Personally I usually work out in the early am and dont typically have flatus issues. Good luck finding the solution!
    Options
    About 9:00 am usually. After breakfast smoothie. Definitely after my morning bathroom visit.
  • allanteer
    allanteer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had this issue whenever I eat a protein rich breakfast. I work way early morning and don't usually get into the gym until several hours after. I'd try giving yourself some more time after eating maybe?
  • Coopnjaxdad
    Coopnjaxdad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could try a pre-workout pitstop in the restroom to... ehem... unburden yourself of the gas, etc.

Unburden...hmm, have you been watching "The Path" on Hulu?

Seriously though, I don't know what you put in your smoothies, but I have found different brands of protein powders yield different results in this area. Maybe try isolating what in your smoothie is the main contributor.
  • 7H3V1RU5
    7H3V1RU5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Two things cut it for me. I learned that different flavors and brand gave me gas over others so I switched from different shakes till I steadied with my gas. During the gas though, I ran outside alone until it went away then I was comfortable again. Hope this helps. Good luck bud.
  • brandanmajeske
    Options
    allanteer wrote: »
    I've had this issue whenever I eat a protein rich breakfast. I work way early morning and don't usually get into the gym until several hours after. I'd try giving yourself some more time after eating maybe?

Nothing stinks worse than a juicy protein fart! Lol... Really though, it is a regular part of the fitness "scene" and a normal function of the body. We all deal with it to some degree. I find that working out before eating/early in the morning keeps the gas to a minimum.

• mismelis58
    mismelis58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try eliminating soy and dairy (including whey protein) and see if it improves. If it does, add back dairy and see if it flares up again. If so, cut it and then try adding back dairy. I went from obnoxious gas to practically zero gas and anytime I eat something with soy or dairy, I get gassy within a few hours. I like the Vega brand protein mixes and straight up collagen and/or gelatin for added protein. Hemp protein( hemp hearts) is great too.
    Options
    I really don't want to drop the whey protein from my diet at this point because it does more good than the gas does bad. I'm about to go into the gym right now. I just came from volunteering at the food bank and I've been crop dusting the old retired volunteers all morning. I've been waiting for one of them to say "REALLY?" Maybe I should just own it.
  • brandanmajeske
    Options
    I really don't want to drop the whey protein from my diet at this point because it does more good than the gas does bad. I'm about to go into the gym right now. I just came from volunteering at the food bank and I've been crop dusting the old retired volunteers all morning. I've been waiting for one of them to say "REALLY?" Maybe I should just own it.

haha, awesome! I say 'own it' and then point to the research that smelling farts may be good for your health.
    http://theweek.com/speedreads/450160/study-smelling-farts-may-good-health
  • allanteer
    allanteer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    allanteer wrote: »

Nothing stinks worse than a juicy protein fart! Lol... Really though, it is a regular part of the fitness "scene" and a normal function of the body. We all deal with it to some degree. I find that working out before eating/early in the morning keeps the gas to a minimum.

Only time where I've worried about it was when I ripped a loud one pulling a heavy deadlift once. XD

I usually don't have the issue at the gym though.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My aerial teacher keeps Gas-x in her med bag in class in case anyone is gassy xD. When you're engaging your abs that much, it can just slip out. I've definitely considered buying some to take before class for the days I have a high fiber lunch.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'll also say cutting dairy out of my diet did me wonders. I was having some really er.... rank side effects when I'd have dairy, and cutting it out helped.
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    how many grams of protein do you take? I tend to have the farts if I down 2 scoops of protein shake in under 5 seconds. However, it's eased off since I started to spread out my shakes throughout the day (say 1 shake for breakfast and another mid morning) and drink them slowly. Else you could have a intolerance to dairy? Tried pea protein powder? Good luck.
  • bowsah13
    bowsah13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

You don't have to drop protein, but maybe scale back the whey portion of it. Maybe try eating eggs instead of your shake? Or get a vegan shake? I'm much more gassy with whey protein than say pea protein.