WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!

Options
Hey, folks. Here's a big warm welcome to the new folks here at the SYSK Fit Club. Thanks for joining in. There are some great discussions going on already and I'm glad to see people have chimed in with their current height and weight and fitness goal in the thread below. It really helps me to see other people out there with some of the same struggles I have. Please make yourself at home and chime in with any ideas about how we can help each other out. I think a group goal is a great way to start - any ideas? Any other feedback? Let's hear from you.

Replies

• waynehinkin
    waynehinkin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great idea and leadership, Chuck! Plus great group to work with towards better health.
  • jlmathews17
    jlmathews17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is way cool! Respect for everyone's journey and support for everyone's path. ❤️
  • TheDominantJean
    TheDominantJean Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chuck! I'm a long time fan dating back to the pre-Chuck dark ages! I appreciate you starting this group and am looking forward to getting our healthy on, together :smile:

Fit bit user under the same name...dusting it off and plugging it in! Will check in with height and starting weight after the holiday :wink:

Thanks everyone!! Good luck!!
  • littlemermaidmaiah
    littlemermaidmaiah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know my personal goal is portion control and less sweets! I'm super active with twin babies but give in too much to healthy treats and sweet coffee! PS I love the SYSK podcast--it's nice and distracting on long walks or runs!
  • intherunning45
    intherunning45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey there Chuck. Love your podcast. Goes with me on many a run!
  • juliekherman
    juliekherman Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I know my personal goal is portion control and less sweets! I'm super active with twin babies but give in too much to healthy treats and sweet coffee! PS I love the SYSK podcast--it's nice and distracting on long walks or runs!

I also struggle with portion control. Particularly of sweets. I can't just eat one cookie. I have to eat all the cookies. My job is pretty sedentary, so right now I'm just trying to be more active. I got a Fitbit last year and realized just how little excercise I got. I'm trying for 10,000 steps a day, but when that doesn't happen, I aim for at least 30 minutes of activity. I haven't lost any weight, but at least I'm burning off some calories from all the cookies I can't seem to stop eating!
  • pcvchristine
    pcvchristine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chuckers, I'll see you at MaxFunCon, so we can stay strong on our goals together!!
  • joelpoindex328
    joelpoindex328 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you want to track active time, steps, miles walked, etc., and don't have a fitness tracker, the Google Fit app provides a reasonable estimate using your phone's GPS. You can sync it to the myfitnesspal app so it updates your exercise data automatically. Good luck everyone!
  • chercher82
    chercher82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there were groups in myfitnesspal until I saw the facebook post today! This will give me one more reason to log in! I've actually been catching up on my SYSK in 30-45 chunks as I walk my dog every day. So I already consider the podcast part of my exercise regimen :)
  • KrazeeBob
    KrazeeBob Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also heard about this in the Chiggers episode. I've been using MyFitnessPal off and on for years

Every time I use it and meet my goals, it works. It's amazing! I'm stunned an doing of needed out how basic all the science is. 3500 calories is a pound, so 500 less calories a day is one pound a week. So simple!

Hard part is actually logging on every day and sticking to my limits, especially around holidays and vacations.
  • ZH13524
    ZH13524 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same here heard about this group on the Chiggers podcast and have been using MyFitnessPal for a while and joined this group. Even though I have reached my goal weight the journey hasn't ended and too keep on this path of health takes a lot of focus still.
  • DarrellBSU
    DarrellBSU Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm a 36 year old first time dad with a 6 month old son and I'm finding that my wife has had an easier time losing the baby weight than me! I'm having shoulder surgery June 2nd, so I'm going to really have to be strict with my diet to avoid gaining weight. I'm at 197 and really would love to someday see 179 again. Surgery should help me get active again since I'm a big tennis player and haven't been able to play for almost a year due to the injury. Wish me luck!

By the way, any Misfit users out there? If so, connect with me - I'm darrellbsu. I used to have a fitbit but I love the fact that Misfit doesn't require daily charging.
  • bpmente
    bpmente Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks!

I'm a 37 year old dad with a 11-month little girl. New parenthood, work, and getting a masters in the past two years really shut down a lot of the active habits my wife and I had, so we're trying to work back to them. I'm 6'4" and around 202, hoping to get back to 185 which was what I was for 6 years prior to all the life change. My wife and I know for sure the only way for our daughter to build healthy active habits is to model them for her. Biggest struggles for me are mindless eating at work and being too "busy" to get up from my desk and move.

Thanks everyone for the sharing and encouragement. Good luck to all!
  • mar922
    mar922 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    gfelsher wrote: »
    Here's a little something I did to keep myself motivated. I broke my weight loss goals down to 5% increments. It takes work to get to each one, but they're all attainable. Also, I want to make it a point that even if I stall, I won't go above an achievement point.ysv02v9mos4l.png

I use the app called happy scale and it does a breakdown for you based on weight increments. It also tells you how close you are to each goal if you like to see your progress. Thought I would let you know in case you want to see your progress between goals, I think it's motivating to see where you are and it helps get me to the next goal!

• SashEdwards
    SashEdwards Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Morning gang, I've been using UA's MapMyRun, however as many other, discovered this from the Chiggers episode I listened to on the way to work this morning. I'm sort of on my own in the whole fitness thing (other than trying to model the example to my 12 year old daughter), so this is sort of my shot to get some likeminded individuals to share goals, share tips and have a support system. Thanks all for being here, and thanks Chuck for bringing us all together!
  • xfreshly123
    xfreshly123 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello all! It's so great to find a group of people with similar goals as my own! (As well as people who listen to an excellent podcast. Shout out to Josh and Chuck for providing such informational company on long days at the school!) Go team! Go us! We can do it!