macro carb??

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Name brand, lower doses, more expensive, but overall, same basic product.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Currently I'm doing carbs 20%, fat 50%, and Protein 30%.
    I did hear that if you have to much protein vs not enough "healthy" fats that you'll gain.
    Everyone is different though.
    I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I am on 2,000 mg of metformin er and 25 mg of jardinance. I have heard so many tell me to try inositol because currently my periods are absent (and I'm not on birth control) I do eventually want to have a baby so I'm working so hard on getting this taken care of. I used to weigh 425 pounds in 2010. I started exercising and everything on 4/12/16 when I found out my diagnosis. Also quit soda cold turkey that day. I don't eat a lot of pasta, rice, bread etc along with processed foods. Most of my carbs come from fruits and veggies. I do drink a lot of water. I recently got a fitbit that helps me track everything. Along with a second job as my job is in an office so my max steps I hit when not exercising is about 4,000 if that. I am holding out on weighing til my next appt, but everyone is telling me i'm losing! I started at 318 beginning of april 2016, went to a weight seminar for possible weight surgery on 4-28-16 and weighed 307.5. I'll update you ladies once I weigh again. But I'm not hungry, which is great.
    I also have started a multi vitamin hoping to try to bring my hormones back to normal. I would like to start my period on my own without meds like birth control.
    any advice for me is welcome! I added all you ladies above me :)

I'm shocked Metformin hasn't helped your cycles. Mine are so freaking regular I hate it. LOL I was used to one every other or every third month. hehe. My OB/GYN would not put me on the pill after my daughter because of my hypertension that started while pregnant. Well he did but it was the mini pill and when my daughter quit nursing he said it wouldn't be so effective so I switched to a diaphragm and well I just know when I ovulate. I can hardly miss it since it can be so painful for me. I had regulated finally by the time my daughter was 6 or so but not fully with Met I've been 28-32 days on the dot. ARGH Sometimes I wish I could go on the pill to avoid them because they are painful and heavy for a couple days. Well some of them. If I didn't want the option open to have another baby some day I'd end them. Being 36 I don't have too long left but still possible. Keep dropping weight and I'm sure your cycles will return. I was on the pill before conceiving my daughter. I conceived her the first cycle off I ovulated day 15 right on target. :) Before I was on the pill I knew my cycles ran more like 6 weeks long.

• ShrinkinMel
    Options
    One question you ladies taking it may know is it safe for use with Hypertension and beta blockers? I really hate to add another supplement my D and B complex are costing so much I stopped my fish oil I had been taking. I may start that again though because I've had some anxiety issues popping up in the car so I keep thinking I may need it again. I started with fish oil and niacin because of triglycerides being up but I had read they will go up with beta blocker(like I said above somewhere) but saw only a little difference. Hoping in another 25 lbs they will be regulated. I'm at 25 lbs lost from my highest weight when my triglycerides had gotten to 299, I think. Perhaps tomorrow I'll fast and get the new labs done so I can see where I'm at a month into my exercise routine and food tracking to compare later in 4-6 months.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Will what? Inositol? It is B8. As far as I know, there are no contraindications of any kind (and I've researched a TON!) unless you're like me in a medically induced state that the Inositol naturally works to regulate...
  • ShrinkinMel
    edited May 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    My problems with Met were mainly dairy and sugar. I couldn't have dairy 2-4 hours either side of a dose, and having sugars made the diarrhea effect exponentially increase! Good luck to you. Knowing so much is great - and can slow us down sometimes, too. That being said, Inositol is B8. Our bodies make it, but generally, they just don't make enough, so it's mostly a natural supplement and doesn't generally interfere with anything - just tries to bring hormonal balance, stress relief, etc.

Yeah I could be wrong on gluten being the cause but rather how gluten(the carbs and sugar) react with Met that causes my stomach aches/cramping and urgency issues. Might explain why some days I can have pizza and it doesn't bother me and others it does. I do know if I have the gluten earlier in the day it will be worse than within a couple hours of taking it. So timing might be key. In the beginning I did notice less sickness and blah feelings if I take them with food. Just has to be certain foods maybe.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I hate how our bodies feel like a game of Russian Roulette sometimes...firing the sickness bullets at ourselves until we figure out the sweet spot to avoid feeling like crap.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Currently I'm doing carbs 20%, fat 50%, and Protein 30%.
    I did hear that if you have to much protein vs not enough "healthy" fats that you'll gain.
    Everyone is different though.
    I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I am on 2,000 mg of metformin er and 25 mg of jardinance. I have heard so many tell me to try inositol because currently my periods are absent (and I'm not on birth control) I do eventually want to have a baby so I'm working so hard on getting this taken care of. I used to weigh 425 pounds in 2010. I started exercising and everything on 4/12/16 when I found out my diagnosis. Also quit soda cold turkey that day. I don't eat a lot of pasta, rice, bread etc along with processed foods. Most of my carbs come from fruits and veggies. I do drink a lot of water. I recently got a fitbit that helps me track everything. Along with a second job as my job is in an office so my max steps I hit when not exercising is about 4,000 if that. I am holding out on weighing til my next appt, but everyone is telling me i'm losing! I started at 318 beginning of april 2016, went to a weight seminar for possible weight surgery on 4-28-16 and weighed 307.5. I'll update you ladies once I weigh again. But I'm not hungry, which is great.
    I also have started a multi vitamin hoping to try to bring my hormones back to normal. I would like to start my period on my own without meds like birth control.
    any advice for me is welcome! I added all you ladies above me :)

I'm shocked Metformin hasn't helped your cycles. Mine are so freaking regular I hate it. LOL I was used to one every other or every third month. hehe. My OB/GYN would not put me on the pill after my daughter because of my hypertension that started while pregnant. Well he did but it was the mini pill and when my daughter quit nursing he said it wouldn't be so effective so I switched to a diaphragm and well I just know when I ovulate. I can hardly miss it since it can be so painful for me. I had regulated finally by the time my daughter was 6 or so but not fully with Met I've been 28-32 days on the dot. ARGH Sometimes I wish I could go on the pill to avoid them because they are painful and heavy for a couple days. Well some of them. If I didn't want the option open to have another baby some day I'd end them. Being 36 I don't have too long left but still possible. Keep dropping weight and I'm sure your cycles will return. I was on the pill before conceiving my daughter. I conceived her the first cycle off I ovulated day 15 right on target. :) Before I was on the pill I knew my cycles ran more like 6 weeks long.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it Met will help them or not, I've only been on them a month now. I'm just wanting a normal cycle for once in my life. I was 425 pounds as a teen and they never came til my gyn gave a pill to make me start. Then I was on birth control for a while and then my insurance and jobs changed and i couldnt get a refill for it. So I've been off it for about a yr and a half now and nothing, no period. :( I know most people are like you should be happy etc, but i'm not. I want to be normal. I want to be able to have a baby. I want to be able to feel like a girl. And I've heard it's not healthy to not have one. and it can interrupt with fertility issues. I should have the inositol sunday. My friend ordered it for me with Amazon Prime. :)
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So I've been off it for about a yr and a half now and nothing, no period. :( I know most people are like you should be happy etc, but i'm not. I want to be normal. I want to be able to have a baby. I want to be able to feel like a girl. And I've heard it's not healthy to not have one. and it can interrupt with fertility issues. I should have the inositol sunday. My friend ordered it for me with Amazon Prime. :)

@HayleyAnne012911 I just wanted to chime in & say, if you haven't had a period in 1.5 years, you probably need to get into the OB/GYN for an exam & a course of Progesterone (i.e. name brand: Provera) to induce one. This is probably the same med you had initially to begin your cycle as a teen.

I totally get your feelings of wanting to have a baby & not feeling normal by not having regular cycles. I was there for YEARS. My husband & tried for nearly 6 years unsuccessfully to conceive, and numerous different physicians just told me to "lose weight". I finally found a great doctor who discovered/diagnosed my PCOS & put me on a LCHF diet paired with high dose Metformin (1000mg extended-release b.i.d). I would go long cycles (6+ months), and the Metformin didn't regulate my cycles until after I had had a Provera-induced cycle. My doctor described it as pushing the "reset" button on my hormone system. Then the Metformin regulated my cycles to a clock work 33-34 day cycle. Within 6 months I had lost nearly 60# & had a positive pregnancy test in January. We're now currently expecting a little girl in early October.

I'm really proud of you for taking charge of your fertility & health so young! I'm 33 & wish I had done so a decade ago :smiley: . Good luck on your journey!

• ShrinkinMel
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes @HayleyAnne012911 great job taking charge of it all. :) I was thinking on the treadmill the other night oh how I wish I had kept it up in my early 20s. When my max weight was 215ish. I had dropped some(but unsure what I had weighed as we didn't have a scale I think I weighed in under 200 at the gym one though) and was running 10 min mile. I can't wait to get my pace up. I feel like a granny walking at 3.0 and having to turn that down in intervals. But in 4 weeks I lost 6 gained some back this week though. ARGH I'm not too worried I'll keep it going and if I have to cut out more carbs I will. In fact highly considering Whole30 for the month of June. Would be tough we have two kiddos birthdays in the fam. YIKES Usually they share a party at a pizza place. Even salads there wouldn't really meet guidelines but maybe if I bring my own homemade dressing. I usually pass on her cake choices anyway they always have that nasty whipped cream frosting and it gives me a tummy ache anyway.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    Options
    @aSearch4Me Thanks for your support! Is provera a birth control? I don't want put on another one of those. I want to have these naturally with supplements if possible. This is day 3 on inositol. I've heard a lot of people have good results with this. If I don't start in a month, I'll make a gyn appt. I just want to try this first.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    Options
    @ShrinkinMel
    I don't like whipped cream so I don't care for those frostings either. And it may be harder to lose weight once you're in your 30's but I have faith for you ladies that you can do it! My realization was when I heard the word diabetic. Quit soda that next day and started on these meds. It's worked so far. I weigh in June 9th at my weight surgeon consult. I'll let you all know what my weight loss is. It'll be a good 6 weeks in between weighing so hopefully I've lost at least 10 pounds but will be happy as long as it's less.

• aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    @aSearch4Me Is provera a birth control? I don't want put on another one of those.

@HayleyAnne012911 There are some people who use progesterone for birth control, but this isn't really a birth control thing in this case. You take 1 pill a day for X # of days, & then a few days after you stop taking the pill, your period starts (the actual dosage is determined by your doctor). It's the synthetic version of the hormone your body creates during your cycle called progesterone, & sometimes your cycle just needs a little kick-start to re-regulate itself. Every doctor i have had has recommended at least 3-4 bleeds/year in absence of any other issue (i.e. clotting disorder, etc) where a quarterly cycle wouldn't be advised.

I just looked at my prescription history, and it looks like I had to take 10mg for 10 days, and then my period came about 5 days after the pill (some people get theirs sooner, some get theirs later). That was last spring, & I haven't had to take it since. The cost of the script was <$4 through the Kroger generics program. The generic name is medroxyprogesterone. I was regularly taking inositol & it alone did not regulate my period (even above 4g a day). Once I had my cycle re-started, between the inositol & the Metformin my cycle regulated.
  • HayleyAnne012911
    Options
    @aSearch4Me Thank you! I'll make an appt with my gyn. Guys I did however weigh in the other day (by mistake- was on a new higi machine that does blood pressure etc) I have lost 14.5 pounds in 3 weeks! I am so excited! :)
  • ShrinkinMel
    Options
    aSearch4Me wrote: »
    @aSearch4Me Is provera a birth control? I don't want put on another one of those.

@HayleyAnne012911 There are some people who use progesterone for birth control, but this isn't really a birth control thing in this case. You take 1 pill a day for X # of days, & then a few days after you stop taking the pill, your period starts (the actual dosage is determined by your doctor). It's the synthetic version of the hormone your body creates during your cycle called progesterone, & sometimes your cycle just needs a little kick-start to re-regulate itself. Every doctor i have had has recommended at least 3-4 bleeds/year in absence of any other issue (i.e. clotting disorder, etc) where a quarterly cycle wouldn't be advised.

I just looked at my prescription history, and it looks like I had to take 10mg for 10 days, and then my period came about 5 days after the pill (some people get theirs sooner, some get theirs later). That was last spring, & I haven't had to take it since. The cost of the script was <$4 through the Kroger generics program. The generic name is medroxyprogesterone. I was regularly taking inositol & it alone did not regulate my period (even above 4g a day). Once I had my cycle re-started, between the inositol & the Metformin my cycle regulated.

Progesterone only is mini pill I took. I never had a period because I was breastfeeding too. I spotted of and on though.
    @aSearch4Me Thank you! I'll make an appt with my gyn. Guys I did however weigh in the other day (by mistake- was on a new higi machine that does blood pressure etc) I have lost 14.5 pounds in 3 weeks! I am so excited! :)

Yay!!