T2Ds - Any advice for OGTT recovery?

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
LCD friends - I'd appreciate any tips you'd care to share. Thx in advance!

I have a hydrogen breath test with glucose coming up. (BG will be monitored, but the primary purpose is to test for SIBO.)

LIke an OGTT, this test requires one to fast then gulp a 50g jolt of glucose. :o I'm not thrilled about swallowing a sugar bomb on an empty stomach, but there's apparently no way around it....

Q - I'd like to:

1. Be ready to do or ingest whatever it takes to not feel awful, minimize the ketosicidal impact, reduce insulin and BG levels;

2. Ask for any other relevant tests that can be run other the same conditions (such as insulin & other hormones, lipids, other blood or urine tests...?? ), so I don't have to do this again if I can help it.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider increasing your carbs to "normal" levels for a few days prior to testing of your OGTT may be off. Apparently we can get physiological (temporary) insulin resistance eating very LCHF, meaning your BG may skyrocket more than is normally would after the drink... I guess its a bit of shock to the body after a while of low carb. I'm not 100% sure on that... I am sure others will chime in. :)

I would just suggest a vigorous walk after leaving the appointment, especially if you aren't there for a couple of hours on a OGTT. You may as well burn those carbs as soon as possible. ;) I can't think of anything else to minimize the impact besides fasting.

If you do lipids, I would go for HDL and triglycerides. If you get LDL, perhaps ask if they can separate it into pattern a and b.

Perhaps tests on inflammation like CRP or Lp a? Sometimes these go down on a LCHF diet.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the suggestions!

This particular test tries to get a handle on how your gut in an unloaded state reacts to a blast of sugar, so the instructions call for low carb starting a couple days before the test.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott Look forward to hearing how this test goes, as I'm considering something similar...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Deal - I'll keep you posted!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Ah gotcha. :) I thought maybe it was the actual OGTT test to check BG at the various times after the drink rather than SIBO testing alone.

Good luck with it! :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    This was described as the more modern test - apparently they no longer offer the straight OGTT.

I plan to bring my trusty meter along and check my BG every 15 minutes or so (just for shirts and giggles). I wish my body weren't the laboratory, but it should still be interesting!
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just had the OGTT (I'm 17 weeks pregnant) and I "failed" it miserably, emphasis on the miserably. 45 minutes in I had a pounding headache that took three days to go away. My blood glucose was 191 at the one hour mark and it took the rest of the day to come back down. My doctor said she expected as much because she knows I eat lower carb (about 100-150 gm a day throughout this pregnancy) but the test is really designed to see how your body reacts to a sugar dump and not necessarily to your normal eating habits. It was definitely a shock to my body (the doctor warned me it would be). Drink tons of water after the test is over- I went through two gallons and that seemed to calm the headache to a dull ache rather than feeling like somoene wedged an axe into my brain. This reaffirmed that I can never ever go back to the way I used to eat.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2016
    Options
    dtobio wrote: »
    It was definitely a shock to my body (the doctor warned me it would be). Drink tons of water after the test is over- I went through two gallons and that seemed to calm the headache to a dull ache rather than feeling like somoene wedged an axe into my brain. This reaffirmed that I can never ever go back to the way I used to eat.

@dtobio - Thanks for the timely advice - I'm just getting started.

BTW, yeccch! on the half cup of faux lemon goo I got for breakfast.... not the way I'd choose to get my once-a-decade blast of sweets!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @dtobio - The 5-gallon pail of water I guzzled before I left was clearly a good idea.

My BG gleefully shot up to 300 in the first hour, and the headache set in about 90 minutes in after it had dropped back to 200. It cooled back off to 150 after 2 hours and eventually settled back to around 100 after I got a chance to walk some of it off.

The H2O and an aspirin with some weak coffee got rid of the headache after a while, though I was not very peppy the rest of the day.

Thanks for the tip!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    :) Glad it was too prolonged of a recovery!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Hope the insights of the test make that headache worth it
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Thx. We shall see....

It was technically a SIBO test, not an OGTT by design, but still you'd think they'd monitor BG levels of known diabetics. But nooooo!

I was fortunate to remember to bring my own BG meter and came away with at least one important life lesson, to wit:

Don't chug heavy syrup on an empty stomach!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Thx. We shall see....

It was technically a SIBO test, not an OGTT by design, but still you'd think they'd monitor BG levels of known diabetics. But nooooo!

I was fortunate to remember to bring my own BG meter and came away with at least one important life lesson, to wit:

Don't chug heavy syrup on an empty stomach!

All of you. Ty for sharing your experiences.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Some of us will be in debt to you for a while to come!
  • dtobio
    Options
    As long as I live, I never want to go near any artificially orange sugary drink again. That scarred me for life. They told me I could walk laps around the waiting room but that I couldn't leave their sight because I could pass out. Had they said as much before I consumed the sludge I would have run out screaming.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    As long as I live, I never want to go near any artificially orange sugary drink again. That scarred me for life. They told me I could walk laps around the waiting room but that I couldn't leave their sight because I could pass out. Had they said as much before I consumed the sludge I would have run out screaming.

Hmm. Cup o' sludge v. plate of broken glass.... choice not obvious.

The protocol you describe... Whew.

I would think if you didn't pass out from sludge shock upon the first sip of the stuff, then merely going for a stroll shouldn't have much effect on your consciousness.
  • dtobio
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Hmm. Cup o' sludge v. plate of broken glass.... choice not obvious.

The protocol you describe... Whew.

I would think if you didn't pass out from sludge shock upon the first sip of the stuff, then merely going for a stroll shouldn't have much effect on your consciousness.

The label should say "cup o' sludge"

I could see not letting me get in the car and drive around, but would a few laps around the parking lot really have been such an issue? Apparently, so it was me and a very kind 85 year old woman who was walking around the waiting room alongside me, hoping it inspired her bladder to cooperate with a urine sample. Truly an experience I will NEVER forget, on many fronts!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Well, you got a "good" story out of the ordeal, and I got some very timely advice.

Thanks again!