Where did you start? What's your current status? What is your goal?

Options
blackeyedone
blackeyedone Posts: 6 Member
Hi All,

Until now, I've never used the community aspects of MFP, but SYSK has a special place in my heart since I listen to it almost every time I go to the gym or on a walk. I'd like to hear about what your goals are and how close you are to accomplishing them! Also, what methods are you taking to accomplish them?

I'm getting married in September 2016 and I want to look and feel the best that I can that day. I'm a 5'9", 30 year old male. Last year at this time, I weighed 187 lbs and I decided I wanted to get in shape for both Burning Man 2015 and my wedding (which was much further down the road at that time). From June 2015 until September 2015 I dieted and exercised and lost 20lbs (down to 167). Then I took a break. Over the next 6 months I gained about 8 of it back (up to175).

Fast forward to about 5 weeks ago. After months of saying I would get back into a healthy routine, I finally started on that journey again. The most important routine i need to redevelop when living a healthy lifestyle is making sure I log absolutely every single piece of food that I eat into MFP. I set my calories at 1500 per day as a limit. As of today, I've lost 8lbs and I am back down to 167.

My goal is to lose a bit more weight (10 lbs) and then add some muscle. I'm working towards that goal by doing cardio 3-4 times a week (Couch 2 5K) and weightlifting 3 times per week. Once I reach that goal I want to continue with cardio, but increase my calories gradually into s surplus and add some more exercises to my weightlifting routine. I'm hoping that by September 10th I will look the best that I have in years.

So where did you start? What's your current status? What is your goal? And, what is your plan? Let's keep each other motivated!

Replies

• MelodyBri
    MelodyBri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 164lbs and I am a little under 5'8", I'd like to get back to 130lbs, and compete in another Tough Mudder. I was maintaining pretty well at 130, but then pregnancy hit me hard. So here I am. I don't have a set date on when I want to get back to 130. I would like to be at that weight before my husband and I plan for our next child, which won't be until our son is at least 3 and 1/2 (he will turn two soon). But the sooner the better because I can also work on building muscle strength and take my kid hikes with his grandpa and grandma (my family is super outdoorsie). My plan is to do what I did last time to reach 130. Run everyday at least four miles (I like running so this is not a huge chore), go for a swim (about half a mile) twice a week, and work on strength training three times a week.
    My main issue is food, especially with a kid around who has some AMAZING snacks, and I work at an office where I am pretty sure it is a birthday every month, and if not a birthday, monthly lunch office meetings. I know I need to reduce my calorie count. So I need to be more diligent in recording my food on here and my fitbit.
  • tgor33
    tgor33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and i was at 194 at the beginning of the year.. the most I had ever been. I have started my journey in January and began walking and eating better. I am down 22 pounds. I've hit a plateau, but have picked up a few tips from the awesome folks here. :) I want to be somewhere around 150. I haven't really done much running as my shins hate me for it. Hiking and walking seem to be a little easier on my legs.
  • mar922
    mar922 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'4 and currently weigh 180 lbs I started at 203. I had gained a bunch of weight due to stress in 2013 and then just avoided the scale because I didn't want to face that I had gained so much weight. When I finally did weigh myself I had gained 50 lbs in 5 months! I did nothing about until I turned 30 last year (and gained 10 more lbs). I decided I was not going to continue pity my weight gain, I may have gained it from stress but I kept it on for 2 years due to poor eating habits.

So last September I started just making the healthier choice and lost 18 lbs by December. then Xmas and a vacation in Mexico and laziness happened but I maintained through all those. At the beginning of March I started eating healthy again and I lost 5 more lbs! So now I am down 23 lbs!

At this point I would be happy to get down 160, I always felt "fat" at that weight but it was my normal weight from highschool until my mid 20s. I was 145 when I gained and had been that weight for a couple years but right now I just want to make it to 160. That saying of I wish I could be as skinny as I was when I thought I was fat is definitly true for me!
  • catmcclelland
    catmcclelland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4", currently 180 lbs, started at 193 lbs, hoping to get to 140-150 lbs. No deadline for me...I've reached a pretty comfortable place with my current diet and exercise level, losing about 0.5 lb per week, so I'd like to maintain that for the next 8-10 months and eventually get to my goal weight. The important thing for me was finding something that clicks long term - a lifestyle change and not a "diet" - and I believe I've found that. So even if the weight loss is slow, I'm happy with it.
  • johnlardner93
    johnlardner93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 1.75m (5'9") and gained a lot of weight over the last year, on 10th March I decided to download MFP and start my diet. My starting weight was 72KG (158.7lbs). After exactly 2 months I weigh 65.5KG (144.4lbs), a loss of 6.5KG (14.3lbs). I am pretty happy with the progress so far. My goal is around 60-62 KG (132-136.5lbs) and then try to build some muscle and up my fitness levels. I have cut my calorie intake to around 1500 a day, sometimes over, sometimes under. I haven't tried any particular method e.g. low calorie recipes, keto, Atkins, abstaining from alcohol etc. just keeping track of what I eat using the app and trying to eat more wholesome, home cooked food (mostly because it is easier to accurately log my intake). Wishing everyone the best of luck!
  • gfelsher
    gfelsher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Everyone is kicking butt! I'm 6'. Originally, I was 284. Currently, 268. Goal, 200. That goal may get more aggressive as I get closer. I'm not sure where I'll be when that rolls around.
  • kershner23
    kershner23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was at 320lbs last summer, started running in October and am currently down 62lbs. My first major goal is 250. Then 220. After that, it's all about getting some muscle and training for a Spartan Sprint.
  • enderloseweight
    enderloseweight Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 36 years old 5'11" currently 305.6. After being diagnosed with a 3rd hernia I decided I have to lose weight. Doctor recommended I get weight loss surgery 65 days ago, I decided to do it on my own instead. I am so far down from 348.2 pounds a total of 42.6 pounds. My ultimate goal is to be about 215, however I am breaking it up into little achievable goals. My first goal is to be 291.2 pounds by July first, losing 1.25% of my body weight per week (about 4 pounds). After July 1st my next goal will be 252 by October 9th losing 1% of body weight per week. After that I will slow it down even further likely. Currently my big tool is a ketogenic diet which is nice because basically I don't get any cravings or feel incredibly hungry like I did any other time I tried to diet. Things are going pretty well so far.
  • pcvchristine
    pcvchristine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have always been overweight, though I've gone up and down a few times in my adult life. I hit my highest weight ever, 275 this past fall/winter. Just after the new year I committed to losing weight, and I have lost 55 lbs so far, so I hope that I am half way through my weight loss journey.
  • Lovethesnow35
    Lovethesnow35 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    Started approx 18 days ago after listening to SYSK and Chuck announced this site. Start weight 165. Current weight 150 after logging everything I eat each day and paying attention to the calories. I'm staying close to 1200. My goal weight is about 135. I just want to be able to feel less winded by getting off the couch. :)
  • kema2007
    kema2007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok here I go. I'm 5'1", on a good day :) and I weigh 143 lbs. I was very thin (105lbs) my whole life till I went to pastry school and taste tested... a lot haha. My goal for now is just to get to 135 which is where I was about 18 months ago. Eventually I'd like to be around 120-125. I've been counting calories (1390 is my limit) for 3 weeks now. I've lost a half a pound and been starving which is pretty disappointing. Besides being miserable from hunger I've also been emotionally far less stable. I'm starting to feel like my overall health would be better if I just quit but I'm not at that point yet. Hoping to keep going and get over this plateau, start feeling better and having the pounds start to go.