Drinking with meals

Options
duffslove
duffslove Posts: 125 Member
I'm finding I'm having a very hard time trying to keep from having something to drink with my meals. Never had that problem before but the last several months, I find myself eating something and need to have a small sip or several sips of a drink during my meal. I know I'm not supposed to because it moves the food out of my pouch faster, but even if I don't have a drink at the table with me, before I'm done with my meal, I end up getting up to get a small sip...anyone else have this issue?

I know I have to find a way to stop it..but wondering if there's a reason it may be happening rather than just a habit coming back

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "need to have"? Like you can't get the food down without moisture? If that is the case, there could be something else going on.

Otherwise, it is just habit and willingness. It took about 6 months but it is second nature to me now. It was one of the hardest things for me to change; I'm a very thirsty person!

When I'm eating something very salty or spicy, I save a few bites and eat a slice of apple or pear or some berries. It wets and/or cools my mouth.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 1 1/2 yr post surgery, never had this problem before..my food doesn't seem to be overly dry, but I find my mouth feeling really dry when I'm chewing..I mean, I'm not drinking a lot or big gulps..just a sip or 2.. Which is still bad, but it just seems like I need to give my mouth more moisture when I'm eating, not that I can't get it down necessarily. I know it sounds weird, guess I'll just chalk it up to an old habit creeping back into my mind. Just wondered if anyone else experienced that issue
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read/heard (as well as talking to surgeon, dr, dietician about it) says it's not a big deal if you have a sip or two with meals. Don't get me wrong I try not to drink too much while eating but I'll probably drink maybe 2-3 oz of water with a meal. If it feels more comfortable to do so, I wouldn't sweat it.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    At more than a year out, and just a few sips, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you feel like you're actually eating more because of it. Two years out, I consume water until it's time to eat and then stop for 15-20 minutes after. I try not to drink more than a sip of water if I'm eating something a little spicy or salty, or do the fruit thing like Amanda. My only real cheat is if I'm having alcohol (maybe twice a month, a cocktail or glass of wine), I drink it right along with my (planned, small) meal. I don't eat more, but I need the food in there so I have the inhibitions to not drink more. I've also very occasionally had coffee...with dessert. :)

• tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    im 9 months out and sometimes i take a sip or two no biggee imo
  • BitterGrace
    BitterGrace Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take a few sips a year out. I still have issues with very dry food. Sometimes I'll just mix it with broth. I make sure to be diligent about not drinking more than 2-3 ounces though.