Whole 30

Options
ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
How much tougher is a whole 30 than paleo? I'm thinking of doing one and I'm curios how tough it will be.anyone btdt? With good results?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, specifically, but I've done something that qualifies as under their rules (more strict even). My biggest issue is that I refuse to give up weighing myself daily. I like the data and it doesn't hurt my emotional state. Giving up dairy is already done with paleo (not primal). That can be tough. Giving up replacements foods is hard, but it's completely doable.

Avoiding all processed foods, which you're doing with paleo anyway, is enough to keep you within the Whole30 rules for almost everything.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I've done Whole30, but not as strict. I agree about the scale, but I don't think the staying off/getting on the scale is as important as cutting out the processed stuff. I lost 6lbs in the process and still keeping it off eating Primal BluePrint. It's a great way to start detoxing from non-Paleo foods, but I never lasted the entire 30 days.
  • ydyms
    Options
    I've done Whole30, but not as strict. I agree about the scale, but I don't think the staying off/getting on the scale is as important as cutting out the processed stuff. I lost 6lbs in the process and still keeping it off eating Primal BluePrint. It's a great way to start detoxing from non-Paleo foods, but I never lasted the entire 30 days.

What does not as strict mean? Isn't it all or nothing?

• GrokRockStar
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yeah, if you want to reap the most out of Whole30, you should keep it 100%, so I've done it when getting back on the wagon to help me refocus & detox. I tend to steer clear of all-or-nothing, I just pull the best parts of Primal Blueprint & Paleo and forget about the rest.
  • ydyms
    Options
    Could you give me some of your tips? Maybe if I moderate I could actually do it..
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The whole30 is hard but you just give it your all to follow the rules and no matter what, even if you slip up a couple of times, you have still made a big acheivement, no matter what anyone else says.

I have always lost about 5 pounds my first week but the last time I did the whole30 I didnt lose any more after that really. I did lose an inch on my waist, bust, and hips. I slipped up with sugar a few times in the form of maple syrup, honey, and once I went to the movies and I got m&ms...but I kept away from grain, legumes, and dairy like a rockstar.

I took about 1-2 week break (sticking to paleo but allowing natural sugars) and now I am 7 days into the 21 day sugar detox. I have lost a few more pounds and I think I will stick to this way of eating for the long-haul. I don't know why I couldn't stay away from sugar on the whole30 but I am foing great with it on the 21dsd. Probably because I am more focused on that as the main goal and I am practiced in the rest from my whole30.

I think after the 21 days i will relax the rules on fruit and I will eat sweet potatoes occassionally which arnt allowed on 21dsd but otherwise try not to eat added OR natural sugars because I have a habit of overdoing it.
  • ydyms
    Options
    What's the difference between Whole 30 and 21 day fix?
  • GrokRockStar
    edited May 2016
    Options
    To my understanding the 21DSD is a phase approach to help eliminate those processed sugar/carb cravings, but it's somewhat similar to Whole30, minus the fruit, and plus the dairy, so closer to Primal Blueprint (minus legumes). I suggest you do some research to see what works best. Here's a link to phase 1 - yes/no food list: http://www.oddlysaid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/21-day-sugar-detox.jpg
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    The whole30 is hard but you just give it your all to follow the rules and no matter what, even if you slip up a couple of times, you have still made a big acheivement, no matter what anyone else says.

I have always lost about 5 pounds my first week but the last time I did the whole30 I didnt lose any more after that really. I did lose an inch on my waist, bust, and hips. I slipped up with sugar a few times in the form of maple syrup, honey, and once I went to the movies and I got m&ms...but I kept away from grain, legumes, and dairy like a rockstar.

I took about 1-2 week break (sticking to paleo but allowing natural sugars) and now I am 7 days into the 21 day sugar detox. I have lost a few more pounds and I think I will stick to this way of eating for the long-haul. I don't know why I couldn't stay away from sugar on the whole30 but I am foing great with it on the 21dsd. Probably because I am more focused on that as the main goal and I am practiced in the rest from my whole30.

I think after the 21 days i will relax the rules on fruit and I will eat sweet potatoes occassionally which arnt allowed on 21dsd but otherwise try not to eat added OR natural sugars because I have a habit of overdoing it.

Glad you found what works and seeing results! I've been sticking with Primal and it has been going pretty good!
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've only done 2 Whole 30's in 6 years of Primal/Paleo eating. I LOVE dairy and it is one of the only allergens that I don't have. Corn, wheat, soy, legumes all take me out so it is relatively easy for me to stick to the rules because when I don't I suffer terribly (although oats and rice are ok so once or twice a month I'll eat some..don't tell the paleo police!)

The rules with Whole 30 are more difficult for me personally, like you MUST eat before coffee. I IF so this is hard. And if you have a snack it MUST be a mini meal containing protein veg and fat in specific amounts . It takes a lot more prep for me especially because I lean more carnivore/ fat and have to force myself to eat veg. And the fat is way less than I want to eat. Who want 2 thumbs of Avocado?! I want the whole dang thing at LEAST!
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a minimum of 2 thumbs, not a maximum? I read the book and don't remember them mentioning limiting your fat
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    There isn't a.maximum. You also shouldn't snack.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    i haven't done a textbook, by the rules whole30. When i first wanted to give primal a go, I dropped all grains and made a huge effort to eat fresh, non processed foods (mostly meat and veggies). I lost 5kgs and have pretty much kept it off since :) there were a few tough moments (any kind of eating out is a nightmare) but I think it was worth it and for me it showed me that I could live grainfree pretty much always