I don't know what I'm allowed to eat!!! Help!!

Options
tinkerbelltia
tinkerbelltia Posts: 5 Member
(be nice to me I'm new to this!!)
Before I started this diet I was eating snacks before bed and constantly eating all day, I've cut out so much and haven't had bread rice pasta or potatoes in 2 weeks (normally I always eat them) however I haven't lost any weight.

I'm looking on here and everyone is eating carbs at 20g and I don't understand how that's possible! I can't get under 100g...
My usual day is =
Weetabix and semi skimmed milk
A nectarine
Chicken and vegetables
And that's it!

Please can someone tell me some low carbs food that help or there normal foods as I haven't lost weight at all

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to look at my diary for ideas

>:) or o:)
  • tinkerbelltia
    Options
    How do I do that??
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Read through this entire forum. Ask questions. Be sure to read the permanent postings on the landing page.

There are also threads with meal ideas and pictures.

Click on people's profiles for a link to their diary. Some peoples diaries are open. Others are not.

If don't eat anything with carbs... you won't be eating carbs. Enter the food in mfp before you eat it to see if it works for you.

It's hard at the start but really easy once you are in to it.

I've had all my questions answered on this site and have read the main postings at least 3 times each.

I can't imagine eating any other way. I love it and am still losing weight every week. I have no idea when I will level out.

If you are eating witabix and skim milk you have not spent enough time on this site. A lot of people here will have eggs and bacon for breakfast. NO TOAST. I put whipping cream in my coffee every morning.

Good luck and keep asking.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!

I think of each meal as protein, fat, and veggies. Fruit if I'm trying to increase my carbs for some reason, although berries are relatively low-carb.

I'm guessing Wheetabix is a cereal-- that is probably the majority of your carbs. Maybe try Greek yogurt and berries for a quick breakfast? If I have time to cook, I like to saute some chicken, ginger and greens, or maybe some eggs and bacon.

Make sure you're getting enough protein, too!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    How do I do that??

Viewing a diary is pretty easy :)
    Click on the user name, a new box will appear
    click on the user name in that box & you'll get a few
    options, view diary will be 1 of them. (if it's open)

>:) or o:)
  • ailsadell
    ailsadell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Any meats (try to avoid sausage and processed ones), fish, eggs, cheese, cream, butter, olive oil, most vegetables grown above the ground, a tiny amount of root vegetables, nuts and a little fruit like berrys. I love alpro plain yogurt with berrys for breakfast or scrambled eggs done in butter...

Avoid bread, pasta, cereals of any kind, rice, potatoes (I occasionally have a small serving of sweet potatoes instead but not often)

Don't be afraid of fat, use it to feel full, along with vegetables and a usual portion of meat/protein

Hope that helps?
  • quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Breakfast cereals are all going to have too many carbs, and so is the fruit (nectarine). Instead try eggs, bacon, sausage, and even meat leftovers if you have them. Also regular dairy milk has about 6 carbs per 1/2 cup. I like dairy unsweetened coconut milk, or you could try unsweetened almond milk.
    I agree with Cheesy567 try some Greek yogurt with berries if you like fruit with your breakfast. Give it a try and you'll find it gets easier as you go along.
  • tinkerbelltia
    Options
    My main aim is to lose my belly fat, have you found the low carb diet good for you losing weight even though you're increasing fat? (Sorry I'm new and don't know much yet!!)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Fat increases satiety so you are satisfied with less. Your body switches to using fat for energy rather than carbs.

Don't fear the fat. Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Firstly, well done on getting rid of pasta, bread, rice and potatoes - they're tough to give up to start with but I promise you won't miss them as you follow this way of eating for longer :)

I'm guessing you're from the UK as you mentioned Weetabix? I am too, so feel free to follow me if you want to look at my diary and see what I eat.

In terms of what to eat, you have to realise that this isn't just a low carb diet - it's low carb HIGH FAT. Your body can burn carbs or fat for energy (protein is for muscle growth and repair) so normally most people get their energy from carbs. When you cut out the carbs you HAVE to replace them with fat otherwise you'll feel crappy and will have no energy. It feels wrong to begin with but there are so many studies showing that actually, fat is not the cause of all of the health problems it's been blamed for.

Carbs are anything starchy, stodgy, or sugary as a general rule. You've already got bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes (the main culprits) - now start eliminating all grains too. Wholegrains need to go as well I'm afraid! Cereal is pretty much out, but you can find other breakfast ideas which are just as tasty and will keep you satisfied for longer. Dairy can be dodgy as it can be higher in carbs due to the lactose in it (a type of sugar). Get full-fat milk and cream instead of semi-skimmed, or try coconut/almond milk instead. Full-fat Greek yoghurt is also okay, as is cheese.

Go for the full-fat versions of EVERYTHING! Any low-fat products usually have carbs added to them to thicken them up. And when your body is burning fat for energy, you don't need to worry about eating high fat foods!

Also, watch fizzy pop - always gets diet versions as they don't have carbs or sugars added to them.

When I started this website was my absolute bible for the first few weeks - http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

They explain everything really well :) This forum is also wonderful, everyone is very helpful and there are lots of good ideas for meals.

Hope this helps - feel free to message me if you want to ask more questions! :)
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello! Check out the launch pad for our group, it will give you some good ideas on what to eat. You can also Google low carb foods and recipes. I've been following a low carb/high fat diet for over a year, I'm down around 113 pounds, and was able to come off blood pressure medication, my cholesterol is also now in normal range.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Switch your breakfast. I was a hardcore cereal eater for 40 years. Now I eat bacon and eggs with a slice of cheese every day. Have lunch and make it a protein, like tuna and a fat, like avocado. Eat the chicken and vegetables, just make sure the vegetables aren't the starchy kind.
    You can still eat fruits in moderation, weighing is really important. There are tons of recipes for delicious things that are either low or no carb out there. This group has a lot of great information too. I think you'll see how beneficial this type of eating is.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm from the uk too - Ditch the weetabix!! Get some bacon and eggs down yer neck!! Feels so wrong at first as we have been told for so long that fat is bad for us, but it's not, quite the opposite in fact. You have to turn everything on its head! Once you get used to it, it's really quite liberating!
    Feel free to add me as a friend and check out my diary - I'm no angel so it's not perfect but there will be loads of ideas and suggestions of what to eat on there :#:#
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Drop all processed carbs. Add fat (this is uber important to succeeding with this woe!). Cook scrambled eggs in butter, with heavy cream, and cheese, and a side of bacon, or sausage for breakfast. Cook veggies (cabbage, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts...) in coconut oil, butter, or this mornings bacon grease. When you eliminate carbs, and replace them with high fat, and moderate protein, you experience an amazing change in your relationship with food. It's a wonderful control you didn't realize you could have! As long as you don't eat high fat and high carb, you will not gain weight!