Need some help starting out

Options
callemiramar
callemiramar Posts: 47 Member
I've been through the sticky notes and I get it.
But I need some information not addressed.
About me:
HT 5'5", WT 205, Age 59, BMR 1509, avg 30 day TDEE by Fitbit Charge HR 2550. Moderate Activity
avg daily calorie intake 1600-1700 (didn't understand net calories, so was under BMR since starting MFP). So 2 months of low calories.

I started a Primal "diet" a year ago after researching it. The reason I started was for health. I had really bad brain fog (I work 12 hour night shifts), unable to sleep well, stiff joints, and weird aches and pains. Most of that has cleared up since I changed my diet. I also cut back the amount of carbs (10-15%).

I'm increasing my daily calories by 100 weekly (so 1800 this week) and will net above BMR, but what kind of increase should I have for carbs? I'm thinking I'll need added energy for work outs.

I do have weights and squat rack, but I want to start out slowly due to joint issues (a lot of damage from the military and MVAs). Most of my current activity is walking. Should I start with body weight exercises and stretching? If so for how long?

Also, I could also use some friends who eat...

Thanks!

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would start with body exercises and focus on form. Add a little weight when you are ready.

As far as carbs, the recommended macros are 40% carbs. I would focus on eating the ones that make you feel great.
  • callemiramar
    Options
    Thanks saranharm. I'm currently at 5-10% for carbs, and jumping up to 40% all at once could have me retain fluid like crazy. I had generalized edema which made my joints incredibly stiff and achy, before the drop in carbs. I just don't know how quickly I can go up without having the same problems. And thanks for the FR!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just slowly go up maybe 10-25 grams per day?
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Great advice by saranharm! 40% carbs is a great proportion that will give you energy to fuel your workouts and life. Since you have been eating low carb for so long, a slow increase is the best. After avoiding certain foods for such period of time the body may act funny when you introduce them back, bloating being one f the effects. So take it little by little. You can start by adding carbs before and after workouts. If you workout early in the morning, have a bit more carbs at night.

I know you went through the sticky notes, but you can find some helpful information in the EM2WL starter kit (it's free): http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=DM&utm_campaign=quick start

Ps:just sent you a FR.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious if you were one that increased your protein for more calories, or fat - while keeping carbs low?

If protein, your body converted excess to carbs already, which is what happens to unused amino acids - and if amount is high enough - that's happening already. (that's what happens with some of the 30% of the 40/30/30 anyway - it's counted on to happen)
    It's just less carbs than you get from eating them directly.

I'd hate for you to lose the benefit you have gained in your joints from the lowish carb.
    Which is why @saranharm's advice is so nice - at point you find pain coming back - you know what max amount to allow.

You might be surprised how well a workout goes on the amount of carbs your body is already getting from protein and storing in muscles.

Or you'll find out real fast when you get tired in workout fast.

Normally the primal/paleo advice is to indeed do strength training and walking - because they are relatively low carb burners compared to cardio - what they call "killer cardio" or "chronic cardio".
  • callemiramar
    Options
    @TerezaToledo
    I down loaded the quick start guide, thanks for the link and FR.

@heybales
    I knew about protein being converted to glucose (carb) through metabolic pathways, so I went with fats (coconut oil, olive oil, grass fed butter, MCT oil, full fat grass fed dairy, and nuts).

I've increased my carbs to 15%, which translates to about 70-80 grams more per day because I'm trying to net above my BMR. I've decided to see how well my body handles the transition over a two week period, then readjust if needed. I'll also be increasing the amount of tea I drink to help diurese the excess fluid.

Am I doing my math right to go up? Goal for this week is 1800 cal/day, then amount of calories eaten for the day- exercise calories (from fitbit/MFP conversion) and net above 1509?
    That puts me around 2200-2300 cal/day (yeah fats!) My diary is open.

I also realize that Fitbit isn't 100% accurate, so I'm only using it as a guide, and will hopefully find my true TDEE in this process.

Thanks for the help!
  • TerezaToledo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @callemiramar, your post made me smile! First for upping your calories and giving it a two weeks try. Second for realizing that the Fitbit is just a guide (can you imagine spending your life tied down to an electronic gadget?), and third for trusting e process!

I have two Fitbit and think it's a fun device to have. The thing is I was gettng way too obsessed over addng more dailr activity and results were not really showing and I was ending up sore and exhausted by the end of the day. So I decided to take a break for now.

Great idea on increasing the tea. It's good to keep the fluids going to diminsh water retention. Pay attention to how you feel and how your body responds on the 2200/2300 cals daily. Depending on your workouts and daily activity you may even increase that number.

Tereza
    EM2WL Ambassador and Team Member
  • heybales
    Options
    @TerezaToledo
    I down loaded the quick start guide, thanks for the link and FR.

@heybales
    I knew about protein being converted to glucose (carb) through metabolic pathways, so I went with fats (coconut oil, olive oil, grass fed butter, MCT oil, full fat grass fed dairy, and nuts).

I've increased my carbs to 15%, which translates to about 70-80 grams more per day because I'm trying to net above my BMR. I've decided to see how well my body handles the transition over a two week period, then readjust if needed. I'll also be increasing the amount of tea I drink to help diurese the excess fluid.

Am I doing my math right to go up? Goal for this week is 1800 cal/day, then amount of calories eaten for the day- exercise calories (from fitbit/MFP conversion) and net above 1509?
    That puts me around 2200-2300 cal/day (yeah fats!) My diary is open.

I also realize that Fitbit isn't 100% accurate, so I'm only using it as a guide, and will hopefully find my true TDEE in this process.

Thanks for the help!

Do realize that the Fitbit Calorie adjustment is not just exercise - and so the whole idea of NET really goes out the window dealing with that adjustment like it was exercise.

Because you could have a very active day and no exercise - and big adjustment.
    Or hard workout and be very inactive rest of day - and have no adjustment or small one.

When you start doing a daily static goal - you really have to unsync the Fitbit and MFP, or your daily goal will be incorrectly adjusted.

Since increasing slowly, just the 1800 daily - next week the 1900 daily, until you reach what Fitbit suggests your TDEE is.

Just use the Fitbit to hone in on a better estimated TDEE faster than long experimenting would take. You bought a tool - why not use it.
    Just look at your weekly email stats from Fitbit as to weekly burn - divide by 7 - there's your TDEE figure to use.
    What's nice there is as activity level changes because of season, or kids in school, ect, you adjust as needed.
    Depending on what Fitbit and what workouts - you may be able to increase accuracy of that report by logging some workouts manually on Fitbit's site/app. Just depends on amount of workouts and calorie burn. May be small enough % it doesn't matter - then again it could.

So good job increasing carbs since fat was increased prior. Would suggest that you keep the meals/snacks balanced, and eat the fat and protein first - it may help temper the effects of the carbs and insulin response and inflammation you sound like you experience.
  • callemiramar
    Options
    @heybales
    OK, so I don't need to worry about netting above BMR as long as I keep increasing weekly till I hit TDEE? Then when should BMR come into play?
    Thanks
  • heybales
    Options
    With reasonable deficit, and TDEE based on actual activity level - it'll never come up unless your workouts are like 2 x weekly and really long and/or intense.

Some block of time within a 24 hr time span you are eating under BMR if you think about it.
    Some block within a 24 hr time span you are eating over TDEE for that block of time.

The body at least doesn't start/stop at midnight like our logging and goals might.

Besides, if you truly want to separate exercise to calculate NET correctly - you need accurate burn rates - minus what you were already accounted to burn anyway for that time, so truly what you burned above and beyond expected.

But right now, if truly not loosing - you are eating at your TDEE. Suppressed TDEE, not potential TDEE.
    So the math really doesn't work out nicely anyway.
    Just keep increasing slowly for body to speed up your daily activity - that's usually the first drop in TDEE when you diet, and first to come back with increased energy.
  • callemiramar
    Options
    Thanks @heybales. I've switched off the Fitbit app on MFP, and will continue to increase my calories each week by 100 to get up to TDEE. That might take up to 10-12 weeks, can't wait to see what happens!
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    That's a great way to increase without dealing with side effects such as bloating. As long as you are increasing the calories, you are on the right track! Great job!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL