Excess skin

Options
This is kind of embarrassing to talk about being only 26 years old (F/5'2"/133) but I have lost almost 90 pounds in the last 2 years and am now dealing with the issue of excess skin from being obese my whole life. I still don't feel good about myself at all because of it. It's frustrating because I lost weight the healthy way, no shortcuts. But now I'm afraid the only way to fix the problem of excess tummy fat is to have a tuck (which I can't afford anyway). Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for ways to tone excess belly and inner thigh fat?

I currently do an hour of cardio 5x a week and use ab, leg and arm machines at my gym.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• mismelis58
    mismelis58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but really the only way to get rid of that kind of excess skin is surgery. Serious strength training and muscle building will help other areas of your body to a certain extent but they won't do much for excess skin on your stomach and it won't all go away. Your genetics play a big part on how your skin will react to weight loss and gain but years of being overweight just stretches it out to the point it won't go all the way back.

Get your hands on "New Rules of Lifting for Women" or "Strong" both by Lou Schuler and Alywn Cosgrove. You can build a strength training plan with solid realistic training advice and form notes. I can tell you that I also lost 90 lbs (93 to be exact) after a lifetime of being overweight and serious weight training was the best thing I've ever done for my body.
  • melkay05
    melkay05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat, but mine is from multiple pregnancies and c-sections. It can be so frustrating.
  • KaelaGibbons
    KaelaGibbons Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I feel ya. I lost over sixty pounds and realizing that I did all that to end up with excess skin in some areas was rough. It was like having the finish line moved on me only when I was finally in sight of it. There were times I felt it was almost worse than being obese in some ways. I don't even have it that bad. It's only a small amount on my tummy and thighs. You would never know it through my clothes. I know a lot of people who have lost more weight and have it much worse.

They say that doing work on a trampoline can help a little but I think it's just something that you learn to live with.

In a way it's really just another step along the path of learning to love myself. It put my new found self-acceptance to the test. The truth is that chasing perfection is counter-productive and a hopeless endeavor. I know that in this case it is a much more legitimate issue than someone who is complaining about the fact that when they lean way over they have some small rolls on their belly. But in the end it comes down to the same thing. You are beautiful exactly as you are. You did something that very very few people are able to do and to maintain it. You are strong. You are accomplished. These imperfections are not important in the long run and in fact are just proof of everything you have achieved.
  • gfelsher
    gfelsher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First of all, try not to be embarrassed. You've done incredible work, and you're healthier overall. You deserve to be confident... Well, the excess skin issue kind of depends. At 26, you have age on your size. It should shrink up to an extent. Also, strength training will also tighten it. For legs, there's squats. If you don't do strength training yet, there's a 30 Day Squat Challenge app. They're all body weight. From there you can go to weights.
  • mismelis58
    mismelis58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    melkay05 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat, but mine is from multiple pregnancies and c-sections. It can be so frustrating.

I had those too!! :(
  • MonkeysInHeaven
    MonkeysInHeaven Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    gfelsher wrote: »
    First of all, try not to be embarrassed. You've done incredible work, and you're healthier overall. You deserve to be confident... Well, the excess skin issue kind of depends. At 26, you have age on your size. It should shrink up to an extent. Also, strength training will also tighten it. For legs, there's squats. If you don't do strength training yet, there's a 30 Day Squat Challenge app. They're all body weight. From there you can go to weights.

Thanks! Just downloaded it and it looks pretty cool. :)
  • MonkeysInHeaven
    Options
    I feel ya. I lost over sixty pounds and realizing that I did all that to end up with excess skin in some areas was rough. It was like having the finish line moved on me only when I was finally in sight of it. There were times I felt it was almost worse than being obese in some ways. I don't even have it that bad. It's only a small amount on my tummy and thighs. You would never know it through my clothes. I know a lot of people who have lost more weight and have it much worse.

They say that doing work on a trampoline can help a little but I think it's just something that you learn to live with.

In a way it's really just another step along the path of learning to love myself. It put my new found self-acceptance to the test. The truth is that chasing perfection is counter-productive and a hopeless endeavor. I know that in this case it is a much more legitimate issue than someone who is complaining about the fact that when they lean way over they have some small rolls on their belly. But in the end it comes down to the same thing. You are beautiful exactly as you are. You did something that very very few people are able to do and to maintain it. You are strong. You are accomplished. These imperfections are not important in the long run and in fact are just proof of everything you have achieved.

Thanks so much. I'm kind of a cynical person so that's definitely something I struggle with. Reading that definitely made me smile though :)
  • Deftness
    Deftness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im 33 with 4 kids. My first kids pretty much left me "ruined". Just when I didn't think it could get any worse, I had to have a csection with my 3rd and again with my 4th. It made it worse. Now, I LOVE my kids and wouldn't change a thing but I know that I will have excess skin after I lose all my weight. Its just a fact. I am going to have a TT as soon as possible after I lose my excess weight.

How long to you plan on living lol? I mean, if you saved up 10k by the time you're in your early 30s and have the surgery I think its worth it. I don't want to live my life in a body im ultimately not happy in. I know a lot of people embrace their excess skin and stretch marks but its going to be your personal decision on how you want to deal with it.

Me? Im ready to throw that excess crap in the medical dumpster and move on with a body I can feel comfortable in.
  • kimmiecookie
    kimmiecookie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help about the excess skin. I'd agree that being only 26 should work toward your advantage.

You asked about belly and inner thigh exercises. The inner thigh is a tough one and doesn't generally get hit with straight squats. Instead you want to do plie squats: legs wide apart, toes pointing outward and "sit" straight down (not bending over). It's very important to make sure knees are going in the same direction as toes are pointed! Once these become easy, add a weight in your hands and/or do mini hops. Another inner thigh exercise is to lay down on your side, cross the top leg over the bottom so the foot is flat on the ground at about where the bottom knee is (where ever comfortable) and do leg raises of the lower leg with a flexed foot. Add an ankle weight is this is too easy.

Belly. First, KEGEL! learn to love them. Get yourself in the habit of kegeling with all your exercises. If you're doing bicep curls, kegel on the way up. In the car, standing in line, anywhere and everywhere! The kegel triggers the transversus muscles - this is the band of muscle deep in the lower abs that wraps around the body like a weight lifters belt. These are very important in protecting the lower back. There are SO many core exercises you can find on YouTube. I recommend planks and all the variations (look at spiders). Good luck!
  • ShootingduckswithChuckers
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately surgery is the only true way to get rid of excess skin. But hey! But at least you've got the 90 lbs off. Good on you. Be like me, just own your loose saggy skin. And if somebody doesn't like it, you don't need them.
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Deftness wrote: »
    Im 33 with 4 kids. My first kids pretty much left me "ruined". Just when I didn't think it could get any worse, I had to have a csection with my 3rd and again with my 4th. It made it worse. Now, I LOVE my kids and wouldn't change a thing but I know that I will have excess skin after I lose all my weight. Its just a fact. I am going to have a TT as soon as possible after I lose my excess weight.

How long to you plan on living lol? I mean, if you saved up 10k by the time you're in your early 30s and have the surgery I think its worth it. I don't want to live my life in a body im ultimately not happy in. I know a lot of people embrace their excess skin and stretch marks but its going to be your personal decision on how you want to deal with it.

Me? Im ready to throw that excess crap in the medical dumpster and move on with a body I can feel comfortable in.

Good on you! It may seem superficial to some people but you're looking at yourself in the mirror end of the day and it's what you're happy with. After losing around 68lbs, I've a bit of flap on my belly. The weight training has helped and I'm going to give it a couple of years and applying bio oil to see if it helps. My wife swears by bio oil as it prevented her stretch marks during pregnancy. However if it is still bothering me, I will consider a TT.
  • ZooGalErica
    ZooGalErica Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First, WAY TO GO on that weight loss!! That is awesome! (And inspiring, as I have that much I can afford to lose, ugh.)

Second, thanks for being honest and posting this. As stupid as it sounds, the thought of having a lot of excess skin hanging around (bad pun!) has actually held me back. I know that with diet and exercise, I can lose the weight and be healthy, but vanity and self-image count too, when it comes to overall health. It's hard to feel your absolute best when you're trying to hide an "imperfection," even if we're the only one who notices it.

I've often thought that if you lose a lot of weight the healthy way, and have been monitored by a doctor, insurance should help pay for excess skin removal. Actually, I'm going to talk to my GP about that!!

Thanks again!!!!
  • MonkeysInHeaven
    Options
    First, WAY TO GO on that weight loss!! That is awesome! (And inspiring, as I have that much I can afford to lose, ugh.)

Second, thanks for being honest and posting this. As stupid as it sounds, the thought of having a lot of excess skin hanging around (bad pun!) has actually held me back. I know that with diet and exercise, I can lose the weight and be healthy, but vanity and self-image count too, when it comes to overall health. It's hard to feel your absolute best when you're trying to hide an "imperfection," even if we're the only one who notices it.

I've often thought that if you lose a lot of weight the healthy way, and have been monitored by a doctor, insurance should help pay for excess skin removal. Actually, I'm going to talk to my GP about that!!

Thanks again!!!!

I very much agree! It's frustrating that gastric bypass is a lot of times covered, but excess skin removal isn't. I just feel like I'm a fat suit still sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of myself, but it would be nice to feel comfortable in a bathing suit :/