Are you watching carbs and calories?

Options
dk6boys
dk6boys Posts: 67 Member
I've been in ketosis for 2 weeks, and lost very little. My carbs consistently stay very low while my calories are on the higher side. I move a lot during the day, house work and such, plus run a few times a week. Granted I don't have a ton to lose. Maybe just 20 pounds. Last year while only counting carbs not calories the weight fell off. Not this time. Feeling very frustrating and discouraged.

Replies

• FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm watching both carbs and calories for now. I am not aiming for ketosis, rather for lowish carbs- always under 100, typically 40-80. AND I'm currently watching calories- which, to my surprise is helping me be a bit more conscious of what I'm eating. I'm enjoying Intermittent Fasting right now. .. not much help on the ketosis front-
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    YES! I stay under 1750 calories a day and under 20g carbs a day. I started at nearly 2000 calories and found I wasn't losing, but to be fair, the week I dropped my calories I also started walking and stopped eating cheese for the sake of eating cheese. I do still eat cheese in or on stuff. I was struggling with my loss and figured it was those three things. (A sage person on this forum suggested I drop the cheese and I'm quite sure they were correct).

I now walk around 3 miles 4 times a week and yesterday I managed over 5 miles with about 3 of that purposeful vs. around the ranch. I work from home at a desk so I have to make myself move during the weekday. On weekends there is almost always something that needs to be done so that gets me walking and usually some strength work too; for example yesterday was hauling limbs.

I don't feel hunger when I start my day with Bullet Proof Coffee or Tea and I've done well to stay within the calories overall. If I do go over it's usually with something high fat/protein.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I watch carbs and calories. I was thinking of just minding carbs, since I am now NEVER hungry. I typically fast for 16 to 18 hours just because I don't think of food. Well, I find I'm still needing to watch calories but now for a different reason. I'm finding it harder to meet my calorie goal since I don't think of food much. When I do eat, I try to make it big since I now know I won't want food again for a long time.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I only eat when I am hungry so I don't count calories. I only log so I can remember a general account of what I ate. Some days I am under 1200 and some days I am over 1700.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I keep track of both because it's become such a habit, although I pay way less attention to what the calorie total ends up as now. Don't get me wrong, I still try to be mindful of it but I'm far more concerned with the total carbs than the total calories now. I don't mind it. I find I am all over the map on the calorie part, so it's kind of nice to have a record of what is going in.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I count both.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FitToLead wrote: »
    I'm watching both carbs and calories for now. I am not aiming for ketosis, rather for lowish carbs- always under 100, typically 40-80. AND I'm currently watching calories- which, to my surprise is helping me be a bit more conscious of what I'm eating.

That's it in a nutshell.

Some folks who don't log calories discover they're taking in quite a bit more than they imagined. Same with others who resume counting calories after gaining weight - perhaps because their carb and food logging in general had gotten a little lax.

Physiologically, the advice to top off your diet with fats (after reaching your protein and carb goals) and to let appetite be your guide may work for some people. But metabolism and appetite are controlled by hormones, and these can vary enormously from person to person.

If you're tracking all your foods anyhow, it's almost easier to keep an eye on calories than to ignore them.

I'm currently experimenting with a "max-calories" rule - I stop eating for the day if I hit my total daily calorie ceiling, (which is about 200-250 calories higher than my daily goal). Since I tend to eat pretty steadily from day to day, if I do hit the ceiling, it's usually later in afternoon or evening, but it still gives me a little jump on fasting until the next day.
  • dk6boys
    Options
    Kellryn wrote: »
    I watch carbs and calories. I was thinking of just minding carbs, since I am now NEVER hungry. I typically fast for 16 to 18 hours just because I don't think of food. Well, I find I'm still needing to watch calories but now for a different reason. I'm finding it harder to meet my calorie goal since I don't think of food much. When I do eat, I try to make it big since I now know I won't want food again for a long time.

How long did it take you to not be hungry? I'm starving all the time!
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    @dk6boys I know you asked Kellryn but I'm not hungry any longer either - it took a few weeks for me and I really think the BPC in the mornings helped. I drink water before I ever get out of the bed; then when I get up I make the coffee (1 T butter, 1 T coconut oil, fake sugar to your liking and some HWC. I personally use 1/4 cup because I really hate coffee for the sake of coffee. When I make Bullet Proof Tea instead I use way less heavy whipping cream. After I drink that I'm good to go for hours and hours. I do drink lots of water all day long too.
  • dk6boys
    Options
    @Rowdyslady I'll try the bpc recipe you use. That may help me out. Thanks!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    @dk6boys I know you asked Kellryn but I'm not hungry any longer either - it took a few weeks for me and I really think the BPC in the mornings helped. I drink water before I ever get out of the bed; then when I get up I make the coffee (1 T butter, 1 T coconut oil, fake sugar to your liking and some HWC. I personally use 1/4 cup because I really hate coffee for the sake of coffee. When I make Bullet Proof Tea instead I use way less heavy whipping cream. After I drink that I'm good to go for hours and hours. I do drink lots of water all day long too.

Me too. If I drink it between 6 and 7am I'm not hungry again until sometimes as late as 2 in the afternoon. I was actually thinking of dropping it since I am at a point where I need to eat more to maintain not continue to lose.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If you're just beginning on coconut oil in your coffee, use a tsp to begin with and increase it to tolerance. The issue is that it can cause really fast bathroom issues when beginning! Be warned!

To find the state of not being hungry you must increase your fat intake, otherwise you will always be hungry. In the beginning I used hwc in my scrambled eggs each morning and that created a satiety I had never felt! Would make it to supper time without thinking about food! It felt very strange, but I adjusted quickly, and began to use coffee with hwc in the mornings, and felt the same satiety. This allowed me the opportunity to decrease the calories consumed, and stay under 20 gm carbs very easily.

This woe is all about finding that balance that creates this unhungry state! Best of luck!
  • kgracesch
    kgracesch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I watch both. I focus on keeping my carbs under 100g a day/ less than 35% of my daily intake. My calories are between 1500-2000, usually closer to 2000. I'm very active excercising high intensity 5-6 days a week.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    If you're just beginning on coconut oil in your coffee, use a tsp to begin with and increase it to tolerance. The issue is that it can cause really fast bathroom issues when beginning! Be warned!

To find the state of not being hungry you must increase your fat intake, otherwise you will always be hungry. In the beginning I used hwc in my scrambled eggs each morning and that created a satiety I had never felt! Would make it to supper time without thinking about food! It felt very strange, but I adjusted quickly, and began to use coffee with hwc in the mornings, and felt the same satiety. This allowed me the opportunity to decrease the calories consumed, and stay under 20 gm carbs very easily.

This woe is all about finding that balance that creates this unhungry state! Best of luck!

Good point...I started with a tsp but not because of bathroom issues, but because I thought it'd be gross...heck! It's yummy!!!!
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I watch both. I only get really hungry when I work out a ton. When I don't work out I don't get hungry but I my body in on autopilot. I can see getting to a place where I don't have to... but I am far from that now.

I have a poor record of maintaining my weight after I have lost it. If the price of staying healthy is logging my food everyday... I am prepared to do it.

I've walked to the lunch restaurant only to realize I am not hungry at all. I force myself to have breakfast because it sets me up well for the balance of the day. When I skip breakfast I find making good choices tougher.

• Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Good fats, proteins, and veggies are my staples.

I watch my calories but when I eat enough veggies it fills me up before I run over
    On calories most times.

So it is a thing I don't often have to worry about

But I can stalk my weight loss by eating too many calories
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you want to understand the physics of CICO, give this a read (Jason Fung's latest blog post):

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4f49b1bc5c73173b727fe0ca2&id=8d7eb1c9da&e=07510dda63
  • YewDream
    YewDream Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't find calorie counting necessary anymore because when I eat around 110g of carbs or less, It becomes very hard to reach 1500 kcal or higher. For me, restricting carbs kind of naturally restricts calories as a happy bonus.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb will help control hunger so it's easier to eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit will allow you to use weight. Low carb is great (I've been keto 2 years) but it is NOT magic. If you eat too much you won't lose weight, no matter what your macros.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Is the coffee part of the bullet proof coffee important? I am asking because I believe caffeine to be a great appetite suppressant. But I can't have caffeine. Would this work as well with herbal tea? I am only 1 week in to reducing my carb intake, and finding that I am very hungry between breakfast and lunch. Sometimes just feel like I'm starving right after eating breakfast. Maybe I need more fat and less "breakfast" . . .