Week 9 Daily Check-In Thread for May (Monday May 30th through Sunday June 5th)

Options
heatherc369
heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
Holy Moly Week 9!

Replies

• heatherc369
    Options
    Time to get my head back in the game....Took 3 days off of the shred, but still did lots of walking, house cleaning and swimming! Cant wait for my new fitbit to come ! I feel naked!
  • LizSmith55
    LizSmith55 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ok...so in the weekly check ins...what exactly am I suppose to do? Since I am late and just getting started...do I just tell you guys this week's goals then next week share if I made it??
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    LizSmith55 wrote: »
    Ok...so in the weekly check ins...what exactly am I suppose to do? Since I am late and just getting started...do I just tell you guys this week's goals then next week share if I made it??

Hi @LizSmith55!
    I'm not exactly sure what we are "supposed" to do but here is what I do. I post everyday what's going on with me.. ie. how my food logging and exercise has gone for that day, other things going on with life, questions I have or whine if I need support or motivation. I find it works best when I'm doing it everyday, although sometimes I miss a day or two on weekends. SO if you want to start with posting a specific goal for the week, then do that! Then you can post daily how you are doing, working toward reaching that goal. Glad to see you here! Let's kill June ladies! :)

Today is a rest day for the gym for me but I'm feeling really good so I might knock out a Shred video this evening. Leaving work early to go to kid's talent show and go get my new car registered and title transferred. YAY!

On day 6 of not smoking! Holy Kitten.. never thought I would make it this far!

Realized this morning (while feeling a bit sorry for myself) even though I haven't seen the scale move more than 1/2 lb in 4.5 weeks, I've lost 1.5" on my hips, 1.25" on my waist and almost 1" on my thigh measurements. I also increased my calories from 1200 and have been eating 1500-1600 during that time so that I can see greater muscle gains. I have increased my squat weight +30lb, bench +30lb, OH press +15lb, and my deadlift +40lbs. SO long story short, I am considering myself officially in RECOMP!! If I'm increasing muscle strength and mass and still weigh the same I must me losing body fat right?! LOL!

This week I will focus on my strength gains, how much stronger I feel and how my body looks instead of the damn scale. :smile:
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Holy kittens, @kerryatoon, that's some shrinkage you've got going on there! Way to go!!
    @LizSmith55 not really rules, more like a way to make myself accountable, I often think 'I gotta report to my ladies in the evening, so i better skip that cookie today'! Also helps in motivation when you see the hard work everyone else is doing!! Plus support when things get tough!!
    Today is my oldest kid's 5th grade graduation!!! Holy kittens, it went fast! Now I start bumping into a little man I sometimes no longer recognize with the hormones taking over! Plus he's getting hairy!!! LOL, I'm going to skip feeling old today, and I'll try to get a run this afternoon. I did barbells yesterday, so it should be a rest day for me.
    I have not gotten on the scale, I still feel a lot of water retention swelling. Don't know if it's from beginning lifting still. So I don't want to feel disappointed when I see an ugly number under my feet!!!
  • bitbits24
    bitbits24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's Tuesday! Yesterday was Memorial Day and while I didn't eat very healthy, I didn't eat everything I normally would have ate. I have very bad asthma and I'm trying not to rely on my rescue inhaler anymore because when I was skinny I never had to use it. Now that I'm big, I use it multiple times a day. I haven't used it in over a week!! I'm proud of that. My goal is to not go over my calories at all for the rest of the week since I didn't count them all yesterday.
  • Kerryatoon
    edited June 2016
    Options
    bitbits24 wrote: »
    It's Tuesday! Yesterday was Memorial Day and while I didn't eat very healthy, I didn't eat everything I normally would have ate. I have very bad asthma and I'm trying not to rely on my rescue inhaler anymore because when I was skinny I never had to use it. Now that I'm big, I use it multiple times a day. I haven't used it in over a week!! I'm proud of that. My goal is to not go over my calories at all for the rest of the week since I didn't count them all yesterday.

@bitbits24 Sounds like a great goal to me. Just take it one day at a time and log EVERYTHING.. you got this!
    @NadiaMayl I have read that anytime you start a new strength training regimen it isn't unusual to have 2-4 weeks of weight stalls while your body gets used to the new demands. Make sure you're doing your measurements so you can keep track of your progress!
    @heatherc369 I just want to thank you for starting this group and embracing this weirdo.. lol.. I love this group. I look forward to checking in here all day. I do have a life I swear, you guys are just that bada** :)
  • NadiaMayl
    Options
    Yeah, vie read that as well, @kerryatoon! That a why im not focusing on the sale for now... I do see some mi or but GREAT changes that are imposible to mensure, like that humo of chubby Belinda The necesita, right aro una the beginning of the spine a little above where you place the barbell for squats, I used to hate that roundedness and puffiness there, now it's much less! Or the dimpled skin on my legs, a lot less! So I can't measure it all, and maybe the changes won't show on the scale, but I see my body slowly improving, and that is also worth 2lbs on the flat torture device!
    So, after graduation we took the new Jr. Highschooler for lunch and he chose sushi. I ate a bento box with shrimp, so not too bad! I had planned on coming home after soccer practice with said child and get on the treadmill, and as soon as I drove home, I saw my husband's green face and h asked if I was feeling alright.... I was feeling fine until then! He'd just thrown up, and as I was standing there he had to run for a 2nd visit to hug the toilet! Add to that that the older child suffers from motion sickness and gets super nauseous every time we get in the car (poor thing) and he was looking green himself... I have a stomach bug phobia!! Or food poisoning phobia! So, of course my body starts kicking in a major anxiety attack (have I called myself wimp lately? WIMP) and I get nauseous! Hahaha it was kinda comical! The only aloof one in the house was child #2! Anyway, needless to say treadmill and I didn't get the pleasure to hang out, instead, Clorox wipes and I did some wiping all surfaces --you know, just in case--!
    As it happens, nobody else got sick, and husband proclaimed hunger 30minutes later and wolfed an orange and a bag of pita chips in one sitting (it baffles me how he can eat after puking)! With his two weeks abroad and jet lag and probably a burnt intestinal tract from too much coffee, I think his body just needed to tell him to start taking care of himself...
    So there, yesterday was useless for work in out... Hahaha maybe today will be better! :smiley:
    When are your kids out on vacation, ladies? Mine are out tomorrow at noon.....eeeeekkkkk.... Summer always stalls my progress due to lack of routine!
  • heatherc369
    Options
    Welcome @LizSmith55 !!! Looks like @Kerryatoon summed it up for you, it just a place to check in, vent, share what you have done that day, what may be bothering you or something that made you happy....no rules really lol

@kerryatoon I am so proud of you! You have made it over the big hump, keep it up lady! And I see you are getting to the point where you are really trusting your training and not relying completely on the scale....another great accomplishment! And I have always done better in groups liek this , but I usually end up after 6 months just posting to myself lol! You guys are doing better than me! lol I have had a rough time finding time and motivation to be on the computer much and my damn phone is retarded in the forums on here lol

@NadiaMayI onto the 6th grade huh? Wow! Big step! I give you props for not stepping on the scale, I step on it at least once a day lol But I no longer let it get to me like I used to because I can feel my clothes fitting different and that's all that matters really!

Welcome @bitsbits24! Congrats to you! and you have some totally achievable goals! Stick with us and stay accountable and I know you will achieve them!
  • heatherc369
    Options
    Yesterday my eating was on point, I did day 9 of level 2 of the shred and my new fitbit charge hr came in the mail ! *happy dance* everything pre-logged and planned foodwise through Friday and my macro percentages are all on point! yay!
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @NadiaMayl lol!!! I'm dying imagining your whole family puking except the one kid sitting there completely cool..haha.. Sorry that happened! Sounds like you had a good day in spite of all that and ate well! My kiddo's last day was today too! She's going to do some summer programs..I work so it's pretty much the same for me :/
    @heatherc369 good job on yesterday! And I've been seeing your scale numbers going down down! Awesome job!! I'm just trying to focus on strength gains for now and inching cals up to find my maintenance so I'll know how much to drop when I want to cut. Kinda weird to eat so much..not sure it's working but it's ok for now.
    I ate too much today..just ravenous after my workout so I ate. My workout was good but I had to stay put on weights because of a strained wrist.
    Here's what did today:
    1.5 miles treadmill run 160 cals
    5x5 squat 85lbs
    5x5 bench 65lb
    5x5 rows 50lb
    Face pulls 5x10 50lb
    Cable crunch 4x14 100lb
    Ahh.. Good night everyone!!
  • heatherc369
    Options
    @Kerryatoon Ya I am in shock it is still moving so steadily? Even with slowly upping my calories....I am almost to my original goal, after that...its all about that strength training! Going to do Chalean Extreme again I think :)

I finished level 2 of 30ds yesterday, got over my step goal, over my water goal , and macro percentages were on point :)
  • LizSmith55
    Options
    I have no idea what happened yesterday but I took the time to write this long post in this thread and when I went back in later...it wasn't here!! I checked to see if I stupidly posted somewhere else...well if I did...I couldn't even find it...ugg!!
  • LizSmith55
    Options
    Well...my b-tchfest from yesterday was admitting I have some serious self abusing issue! As of March 1st I had lost 50lbs. and I was THRILLED. It was my 1st major goal met. I still had 20 lbs. To dump but I could tell my body was trying to adjust (my cycle was off etc.) so I made the choice to just back off my militant diet I was following for a short time then take it back up in a few months. In the interim, I felt confident that I had lost enough weight (weighing in at a weight I was pre-marriage!!) to safely begin a running routine (something I did in my 20's...I am now 46) so I started training for a 10k...something I have NEVER completed. I was thinking...now that I was burning 600+ cals. every workout...I didn't need to be such a Nazi about my diet. Well...I almost cried yesterday when I stepped on my scale to find I was up 8 lbs.!!! I am use to gaining 3-5 lbs. over a weekend (I've always allowed myself to cheat on the weekend) then work it off over the week and I have been OK with that....but allowing myself to gain 8lbs. in a week I ran my 10k race??? !!! It makes me realize I have a serious issue with food. I TRULY need to realize that can NEVER let anything slack. I use to be able to eat anything I wanted as long as I ran a few times a week. Now I am logging in more miles than I EVER had and I feel I can't let up in diet AT ALL. If I were at my final goal weight, fighting 5 lbs (or even 8) I wouldn't care...but I'm right at the stage where 5 lbs. Puts me into unhealthy territories. Damn I hate this.
  • LizSmith55
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So, my goal....my goal is to start tracking cals. Something I have never done...it seems like even more work to add to this process that is already hard. So yesterday I did it and I lost 1lb...I know HOW to reel it in and I think all my added cardio work will certainly expedite my weight loss and maybe it is just time to re-motivate myself and finish the job THEN fight with 5lbs. At that point. But I am a "good time girl" who loves her beer and BBQ'S and tis the season....it's gonna be a tough summer ladies...but I just committed to a friend that we are gonna train for a 1/2 marathon...so it's time to get serious now.
  • LizSmith55
    Options
    So...question...is there a way to manually add a food item? Like a home cooked meal that I can find the nutritional value of?
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @LizSmith55 Glad you came here to post! It helps me just to process stuff for myself by writing down exactly what I'm struggling with.

First of all DON"T PANIC or beat yourself up! Get moving in the right direction and I suspect you'll find it relatively easy once you're logging and keeping good track of your diet.

I would definitely start using MFP to track and log your calories. It's so easy once you get started and keeping cal's in lower than cal's used is THE KEY to losing weight. No amount of exercise can change that simple equation. I suggest you get a food scale so you can accurately measure your servings.. I found that I was unclear about serving sizes when I started.

I'm going to be 40 this year and I've definitely noticed my caloric requirements are lower than they were in my 20's although strength training and building lean muscle mass has certainly improved that.

I'm including a link to one of the message boards for you.. its where I started reading and learning how to use MFP to its full potential. Read, educate yourself and get started! MFP is awesome and has so many ways to help you toward your goals. Also feel free to post here anytime and we'll all be glad to help however we can!

Here's the link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • LizSmith55
    Options
    @Kerryatune thank you so much!! I will certainly read the link!!
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Ack!! I'm kinda freaking out! I've inched up 100 again on my cals this week as suggested in the recomp threads and strength training articles I've been reading. I hadn't gained any weight and still lost inches over the last 3 weeks at 1500 and the previous 2 weeks at 1400 so I'm up to 1600 now. It's frustrating and scary to allow myself to eat that much (I'm not having any problem enjoying it though.. I'm loving the food!) but I'm looking for that balance point to find maintenance at my current activity level. I'm not unhappy with my size now but still have a pooch on my belly and some flab here and there I know is fat that I want to lose. According to MFP I should still be losing about 1/2-1lb week even at 1600!! Crazy right!?! But that doesn't seem right as I haven't lost anything worth mentioning in 5 weeks now. Le sigh. I'm still seeing strength gains and I know this part of the journey takes mad patience but it's more of a head trip than I was counting on. :/ I was told to try 1600 for a couple weeks and if I saw no weight gain to try 1700 for a couple weeks and so on. I'm looking for that point where I "tip the scales" so to speak and gain a pound or two. Then I'll know where my maintenance point is and how much of a deficit to run to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss. I'm sorry to ramble but i need a place to talk this all out (mostly for myself). Part of me wants to just drop back to 1200 but I've worked so hard for this muscle and I DO NOT want to lose it. I'm just being impatient I think. Sooooo hard to change my mindset from "I'm too fat and need to lose weight" to "I'm pretty good now and want to get bigger muscles" I still want to lose a bit more body fat but honestly I don't want to get much "skinnier". I've spent most of my adult life with the I'm fat mentality and have never tried to do any kind of "body building" before. But I LOVE my muscles and how strong I feel. I LOVE how I'm looking in my clothes! I just have to re-learn how I see myself and my goals. Work in progress.. You all can bill me for the therapy session later..lol! ;)
  • heatherc369
    Options
    @LizSmith55 I think @Kerryatoon said it perfectly. It's all a game, calories in Vs calories out....if you don't know what's hoping in you could be working against yourself. One of my favorite features of this website is the recipe option you click to add recipe to give it a title how many servings and then you slowly add in how much of everything that you put in there and it gives you a calorie and macro count per serving it's the neatest thing ever. And now you can even put a link from a recipe you found online and it will import all the ingredients which is super freaking awesome.

@Kerryatoon yeah that whole backwards diet thing has always been really scary to me but I'm finding that it works as well I've been slowly up and my calories too and I'm losing more at around 1500 calories than I was at 1200....who would have thought?? Lol

So I almost cried yesterday I went home got dressed out ready to do my workout so eager to begin level 3 of 30 Day Shred then come to find out I cannot find it on YouTube my other go to for free workout videos was always vk.com couldn't find it there I finally gave up because I needed to hurry up and go start doing dinner and all my other nightly things and I started doing level 2 well about halfway through level 2 all the sudden the TV starts casting level 3 come to find out how he was coming down the hallway and had found level 3 for me and started casting it from his phone so I got a workout and a half done last night LOL so does OnPoint macro percentages were great I went over on my steps and overall My Water goal....happy dance . Well you guys all know that I rarely log on the weekends well I love my food but I really come on the forums on the weekends so if I don't talk to any of you ladies have a wonderful weekend!
  • NadiaMayl
    Options
    Off week... Hubs stomach thing might have actually been a bug. The day after his issue I woke up feeling queasy and nauseous, never threw up, but yucky for three days. Finally today I feel back to the normal life type thing... Hehehe.
    Add the last week of school activities and I have not set foot at the gym or in the treadmill since Monday. I woke up achy and out of breath today, I think my body is telling me to get back into it! So, tomorrow will be my re-kick off day!
    Hubs and I were supposed to go salsa dancing tonight, but ended up smashing himself against a wall of tires while GoKart racing with our boys today. His entire back cramped up and now he can't move... Poor bugger!
    Top it off, I stopped by my mom's apartment earlier to drop off her meds... Uugghh... It was a mess, four days worth of dirty dishes and trash everywhere (short story, severe depression and anxiety for years)! Had to clean and it was really hard not to lose my temper over her hoarding and lack of self-care. I KNOW it's an illness, I've suffered from depression as well, but it still gets to me...anyhoo!
    Eating, obviously with nausea, has been ok... Lots of homemade chicken soup, hahaha... Have been able to keep up with my 10,000 steps most days. Mainly trying not to beat myself over the inability to make it to the gym and not feel like I've gained 4 lbs on three days -you know, those nasty mind games.
    Good job @kerryatoon and @Heatherc369, I learn a lot from you ladies! It's really a great thing to have your examples of work, acceptance, and grace! I love reading your goal achievements and your journeys!
    @kerryatoon, how's the non smoking going?!
    @lizsmith55 like Kerryatoon, I recommend you get to reading the pinned/sticky posts in the different forums... Information is your stronger tool! Support comes right after, so don't hesitate to ask for it here! I use the recipe builder all the time, some of my family's staples are homemade waffles, chicken soup, scrambled eggs, chicken tostadas, etc... Some of them simple, some more complex... It's nice to be able to add my serving to MFP diary and not guess around it! And use the scanner option in your camera phone or tablet (if you have one), it's much faster than searching for a food item by typing it up! But mostly, don't be so hard on yourself! This journey is also about getting fit and strong (in my opinion)! Your body may be adjusting to a change in exercise routine and new nutrition... Maybe you are eating more sodium and together with exercise changes, you maybe retaining water (I've been going through this for about three weeks)! Just keep at it, and try to remember that this should not be an obsession but an interesting learning journey... I'm trying really hard to learn to enjoy the discovery of how this mystery works! One day at a time, not one day is a success or a failure, it's just a small part of an entire event!
    You girls have a lovely weekend!!!
This discussion has been closed.