New to strength training!! Help :)

Options
jackies620
jackies620 Posts: 37 Member
Hi everyone! So, I just took the plunge and joined a gym by my house. I did this so that I can access weight training equipment. Until now, I primarily do cardio, and now I want, rather NEED, to add strength training to my routine. My question is, where do you suggest beginning? It's so intimidating at the gym being a newbie, and I understand everyone is new at some point, but it's still hard to get past that feeling. So, how do you get past that intimidation/embarrassment, and more importantly, how did you put together your strength training plan?? If you'd like to share with me your schedule, feel free as I'd greatly appreciate that as well! Any tips are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

Replies

• nebaru
    nebaru Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started by using the app Jefit and downloading a 5 day split. The app has little animations showing you how to do each exercise and you can follow their recommendations for reps/sets, or you can adjust it to your goals. In general, 3-5 reps x 4-5 sets with longer breaks will help you increase strength. 8-12 reps x 3-4 sets will help with muscle hypertrophy (aka growth). I liked using the app because I knew exactly what I was going to do each day and that helped me stay focused rather than looking around the gym without knowing what to do, thus, less opportunity for anxiety. Know that people at the gym are focusing on themselves and nobody is looking at you or judging you. It is normal to feel intimidated but you pay to use the facility and you have as much right to be there as anybody else!
  • jackies620
    Options
    nebaru wrote: »
    I started by using the app Jefit and downloading a 5 day split. The app has little animations showing you how to do each exercise and you can follow their recommendations for reps/sets, or you can adjust it to your goals. In general, 3-5 reps x 4-5 sets with longer breaks will help you increase strength. 8-12 reps x 3-4 sets will help with muscle hypertrophy (aka growth). I liked using the app because I knew exactly what I was going to do each day and that helped me stay focused rather than looking around the gym without knowing what to do, thus, less opportunity for anxiety. Know that people at the gym are focusing on themselves and nobody is looking at you or judging you. It is normal to feel intimidated but you pay to use the facility and you have as much right to be there as anybody else!

Thank you! I'll definitely look into that app! That's my biggest fear-walking in with no plan, and no idea how/where to begin!
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The very first time I joined a gym I worked out with the trainer just on that one day. It gave me a great orientation to the gym without feeling out of place. I was much more comfortable going around on my own after that.
    Always go in with a plan. That app sounds great. Also New Rules of Lifting for Women (book) is a good place to start. There are alot of free workout programs on the internet to get you started. Check out Bodybuilding.com for ideas. They have a ton of programs for all levels. I also love Food Fitness Diva. She has several progressive free programs. Shoot me a message if you need more guidance

• jackies620
    Options
    modmom1 wrote: »
    The very first time I joined a gym I worked out with the trainer just on that one day. It gave me a great orientation to the gym without feeling out of place. I was much more comfortable going around on my own after that.
    Always go in with a plan. That app sounds great. Also New Rules of Lifting for Women (book) is a good place to start. There are alot of free workout programs on the internet to get you started. Check out Bodybuilding.com for ideas. They have a ton of programs for all levels. I also love Food Fitness Diva. She has several progressive free programs. Shoot me a message if you need more guidance
    Thank you so much!! I probably will :smile:
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!
  • bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use the Jefit app and I worked up the Strong Curves routine to use with it.
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that's already been shared here. I'm doing SrongLIfts 5x5 partly because of its simplicity and the fact that I only need to be at the gym 3 times a week to see impressive gains. There is a group here for SL and the sticky threads at the top are FULL of information. Like modmom1, I got a trainer my first day just to show me around and ask questions about equipment, etiquette and to help me get started on my 5x5 program. I've only been doing this about 5 weeks and I already walk into the gym feeling like I belong there and I know what I want to accomplish. I got to know the guys that work there so if I have questions about a new lift or piece of equipment I can just ask them. I also will occasionally ask other people that are working out questions about their program or a particular exercise they're doing, most people are really friendly and happy to chat. Just do it.. 5 weeks and I don't feel intimidated anymore. Congrats! Weightlifting has been one of the best things I've done for myself in this journey.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you've joined a gym where the staffers actually know about lifting and can help you with form. More than anything, make sure you have good form, it will avoid injuries. A good beginner program is Stronglifts 5x5, you stick with the basic compound movements, also check out New Rules for Lifting for Women.

I'm a powerlifter, so I focus my training around the big 3 lifts, Squat, Bench & Deadlift, but I had to start somewhere. Good luck.