Electrolytes choice of drink?

Options
jaymo602
jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
Following a Keto diet for the last 17 days, and questioning my choice of electrolyte drink.
Currently I am drinking Vitaminwater Zero.
Anyone have any thoughts on this or a better alternative?
Thanks!

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I like Powerade zero personally.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I just drink bouillon cubes for sodium and take a separate magnesium citrate supplement.
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the bullion cubes!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    The only drink I found that worked for me where muscle cramps were concerned is Zipfizz; however, it is expensive and depending on your carb allowance can be higher in carbs than you might like (I think one tube averages something like 2 carbs). I can get a pack of 20 at Sams for $20.00 but balk at the thought a 2-month supply costing me $60.00. I used to use 1 tube per day and didn't like it very strongly flavored so I just used more water to dilute it a bit. I would drink half in the morning with breakfast, and half in the evening with dinner which also made the 2 carbs tolerable for me. Sams is the only place I found them for this cheap. They are ridiculously expensive online and in other local stores like Vitamin Shoppe, etc. One other thing...Zipfizz DOES contain caffeine so this might be something else to consider. I currently use bouillon cubes, but they do not alleviate the calf and foot cramps I get every morning. The salt in the bouillon helps, but hasn't fixed the problem 100% so I'm still working on tweaking stuff in my daily regimen to find something less expensive that works consistenly for me.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like bouillon, but I do recommend it if you like it. Home made bone-broth is best since you can control the salt and mineral content as well.

I have been using drops from a company called TraceMinerals. Here is a link. I get the 40,000 Volts! at Amazon. I also switched to using Celtic sea salt, just to make sure it has minerals. Was surprised to learn how much salt out there has no minerals, and how much has very little.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You can also try ketoade.

It is a homemade concoction designed to help supplement electrolytes.

Here is the basic recipe from the Launch Pad.

Ketoade is simply 8-12oz of water, flavored with a no-cal, no-carb flavoring (like Mio), and mixed with a 1/4 tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of potassium salt. For those who can't/don't use artificial sweeteners, squeeze some lemon juice (or soak berries) and add some stevia to your electrolyte water.

I like pickles for the sodium.

I didn't know that had a name! I drink that every day. I use Stur (a stevia sweetened water enhancer), electrolyte/mineral drops (mentioned earlier), and I squeeze in 1/2 a lime (not a big fan of lemon water, and limes essentially have the same effect). They taste like a virgin cocktail, so sometimes I even put them in a pretty drinking glass when with friends who are drinking booze. :smile:
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Eat pickles. Low carb, cheap, tasty and have a lot of good electrolytes in them. Fermented pickles are good too.

Dan
  • jetsamflotsam
    jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've always made my own... My husband gets dehydrated frequently so we make one up with 1/4 t salt, splash of lemon juice, room temp water, shake in a blender bottle, chug... Sometimes I put stevia drops in, but usually I just drink it straight up. LOL
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I just add salt to water now. When I started I used powerade 0 and added extra salt to it
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mio Fit which has potassium and sodium. I also use something called Lyte Show (I bought it on amazon) and that has sodium, potassium, and magnesium. I usually mix the two. Lyte Show tastes salty but when I mix it with the mio its similar to a powerade or gatorade, but better imo. I like to do it this way vs drinking say a sugar free powerade because I get to control how much I put into my drink. Also! I use Lite Salt on my food which is half sodium and half potassium.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You just need salt in large amounts. You'd need 10-12 Powerade zeros to equal the minimum of what you need each day.
    Eat pickles. Problem solved
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Save $$ and make your own, experiment until you find the best recipe for your body
  • LCChris2016
    LCChris2016 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make bottles of Sea salt water, cheap and works great!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    You can also try ketoade.

It is a homemade concoction designed to help supplement electrolytes.

Here is the basic recipe from the Launch Pad.

Ketoade is simply 8-12oz of water, flavored with a no-cal, no-carb flavoring (like Mio), and mixed with a 1/4 tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of potassium salt. For those who can't/don't use artificial sweeteners, squeeze some lemon juice (or soak berries) and add some stevia to your electrolyte water.

:+1:
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    The only drink I found that worked for me where muscle cramps were concerned is Zipfizz; ................ I currently use bouillon cubes, but they do not alleviate the calf and foot cramps I get every morning. The salt in the bouillon helps, but hasn't fixed the problem 100% so I'm still working on tweaking stuff in my daily regimen to find something less expensive that works consistenly for me.

On the cramps, have you tried Magnesium citrate, 400mg? I have given it to my husband 3 times when his legs have been cramping and the relief was within minutes. Personally, I can tell that I forgot to take my tablets by the fact my lower leg will cramp and remind me. Hope that helps.