New here. Anyone else ttc?

Options
1235»

Replies

• aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're taking time for you, to heal both physically & mentally. While I haven't walked the IVF path either, my heart aches for you.

Re: Acupuncture. I know I think the world of my husband's chiropractor/acupuncturist. After nearly 3 years of chronic back pain/tightness from an injury (that 2 years of traditional PT & medicine barely touched), "dry needling" acupuncture with chiro adjustments basically fully took away his pain in <6 months of treatment. If you can find a chiropractor that is covered by your insurance who also does acupuncture (I think ours gives 12 visits/year), I'd highly recommend that route. I know there are some in our area who do fertility-focused treatments. His chiro visits/adjustments were covered (& those include basically a mini-massage), & the acupuncture was like a $30-40 add on that we paid with our Healthcare Flex Spending account (price flexed depending on if it was just his back, or back + hamstrings/quads). I have had friends who have had great results with acupuncture for things like migraines & stress. You might also want to check to see if your insurance covers massage-- some do. I think we can get like 12 visits a year for massage too...although I haven't explored that (but I totally should!). The problem is there are just few in our area that can process insurance paperwork (most tend to be located at Chiropractor practices).

Re: Metformin. I feel like a cheerleader in the Metformin Fan Club. I personally love the stuff. I noticed a big difference in my cycles AND my mood issue tendencies with Metformin (lifelong anxiety/depression cycle). My final dosage is 1000mg ER twice-a-day (2000mg ER total)....which might be the max dosage of the ER formula. If you are noticing chronic stomach issues with the Metformin, you might want to ask your doctor about taking the Extended Release formula (ER)...but make sure your insurance covers it first, even the generic is pricey (like $600-700/month). Like @KnitorMiss mentioned, you might want to be careful with dairy before/after your dosage. I didn't find a reaction with cheeses...but traditional milk or something like ice cream...It's unpleasant. I never could break my "milk addiction", but I have found that the reaction is less with lactose-free milk (lower sugar/carb). And nearly a year after starting to take it, my GI symptoms in general are basically gone with the Met. (unless I take it on an empty stomach in the morning & then space eating breakfast...then my stomach still complains a bit...understandably so). I personally give Met the credit in my ability to conceive after nearly 6 years of trying...I can't imagine a life without Met at this point.

If you don't have any talk therapy options covered by your insurance, I'd consider joining a local infertility group. Many of them have moderated group meetings, that are essentially group therapy. It might help to connect 1:1 in-person with people facing the same issue. Someone at your infertility practice may be able to connect you with a local group.

Above all, take care of you. {Hugs!}
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    aSearch4Me wrote: »
    Re: Metformin. I feel like a cheerleader in the Metformin Fan Club. I personally love the stuff. I noticed a big difference in my cycles AND my mood issue tendencies with Metformin (lifelong anxiety/depression cycle). My final dosage is 1000mg ER twice-a-day (2000mg ER total)....which might be the max dosage of the ER formula. If you are noticing chronic stomach issues with the Metformin, you might want to ask your doctor about taking the Extended Release formula (ER)...but make sure your insurance covers it first, even the generic is pricey (like $600-700/month). Like @KnitorMiss mentioned, you might want to be careful with dairy before/after your dosage. I didn't find a reaction with cheeses...but traditional milk or something like ice cream...It's unpleasant. I never could break my "milk addiction", but I have found that the reaction is less with lactose-free milk (lower sugar/carb). And nearly a year after starting to take it, my GI symptoms in general are basically gone with the Met. (unless I take it on an empty stomach in the morning & then space eating breakfast...then my stomach still complains a bit...understandably so). I personally give Met the credit in my ability to conceive after nearly 6 years of trying...I can't imagine a life without Met at this point.

For me, it was likely the cream I used in my eggs, because it was that, butter, and cheese, most of the time.

I don't miss milk anymore, but I enjoy heavy cream from time to time as an indulgence, or a substitute for a meal if I'm on the run...

That being said, @aSearch4Me, I have a question about Met. My doc talked to me on Tuesday about possibly getting back on Metformin, but since I had such horrible issues last time, she suggested trying the 250 mg instead of 500 mg xr. She said it might help. But, I got my insulin back down from a 15 (perfect crap-storm of bad events, and bad choices the week before my test upped the levels badly). This was 6 months after a test of 5.1. Well, after about 6 weeks, I got it down from a 15 to a 9.1 again I think. If I stick with my plan and add my exercise back in after I finish healing my rash, I think I'd do well managing it with diet. I can't categorically remember what all it's supposed to help with (most things don't work on me since I do continuous birth control pills)...so I'm really really hesitant to get back on it. Thoughts??
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @KnitorMiss I think Metformin has a lot of benefits besides just the lowering of the A1C/glucose/insulin level labs. I know it lowers free floating estrogen & androgens, which are one of the things that mess up cycles with women with PCOS (& probably what doesn't jive with your continuous BC). I think there is some sort of affect on progesterone as a result, because I know my progesterone lab levels were horrible pre-Met (probably triggering the irregular/long cycles), & those improved drastically after a few months on Metformin with no more Provera supplementation minus a "kick-start" a month into Metformin. I know there have been several studies over the past decade that have shown benefits of Metformin in relation to cancer (both in helping to prevent, & in prolonging life or aiding in cure for those with specific types of cancers...but I'm not in a place where I have my usual access to study resources right now :smile: ). I think there are also a few studies showing Metformin's ability to improve heart function in women & provide protection against heart disease (but if I remember correctly, it had an opposite affect for men...I wonder if part of that is decreasing estrogen? I don't know...I'm so far out from my physio classes to remember all of the micro/hormonal pathways...lol).

Regarding the dosage, I'm not an expert in that area...because my OBGYN (who treats A LOT of PCOS patients & has PCOS herself) was pretty adamant that I needed to be on max dosage to conceive due to my long history of irregular cycles, my mom's difficulty conceiving (probably PCOS, but never diagnosed), & my strong family history on both sides of T2 Diabetes....so I never had a "middle step" on my Met, I just ladder-stepped week by week up to max dosage...lol. I started with the normal Met & then was transitioned to the XR about halfway through. I don't even remember what my insulin lab values were (the practice has switched e-medical record programs since then, & the old labs aren't listed), but I know I've never had a high A1C or fasting glucose level...but I was destined to eventually with how IR works.

I know my dad is on half of the dosage of the Met XR that I am (500 b.i.d XR)...as he so lovingly pointed out when he was at my house the other week & saw my pill bottle...lol. I can't convince my parents why I'm on Metformin when I don't have "diabetes." And it's a whole other fight to convince them it's not bad for the baby for me to still be on it (since PCOS women are more prone to Gestational Diabetes & pre-eclampsia, & there are zero studies showing harmful effects on baby as long as they are growing...which she is). I know my dad is within the "normal weight range" now, and I think his Metformin dose was dropped once his A1C regulated & he reached "normal weight" (he was diagnosed with T2D after he had an issue with peripheral vascular disease pop up suddenly). But he's still on it despite normal weight & labs, & will be for life.

Personally, I would do whatever you are most comfortable with. If you *really* don't want to restart the Met...don't. Just follow the plan that has dropped your levels before & be sure to get your follow-up labs to make sure it's working. Everyone's different. I fully realize that because Met's a miracle worker for me, it won't be for everyone. That being said, if you're willing to give it another go...it might be worth trying the 250 to see how your body responds this round? If anything, it could offer a bit of protection when plans go awry because of life events?
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

Let me just add that I'm with the club of loving Metformin! It has totally helped me. The extended release is amazing. :) With the normal one I was ALWAYS on the toilet. And it made me realize just how crappy I was eating. Now that I've cut out most carbs. ( I still get at least 80 grams a day total, not net) but I'm trying to reduce those to. @aSearch4Me I scheduled an appt with my obgyn for the provera as you said. So I'll let you all know how that goes. I don't want my cycles absent to long as I do want to try to conceive probably within the next yr or yr and a half.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, so a little update:
    I've been on metformin for close to a month now, just started take 2 tsp of inositol for almost 2 weeks.
    I don't know if it's the metformin or life getting better, but I feel better overall. We visited the endocrinologist for the "we did in vitro, it didn't work, wtf doc" appointment.

It's been almost 2 months since the failed in vitro and I was finally ready to go in for the follow up.
    Basically he says metformin will not help me since I am not overweight but if it makes me feel at ease, I can keep taking it and see if anything happens. I asked about acupuncture and he said there are no scientific studies showing that acupuncture helps at all. But if I want to go for it, I should.
    As for the failed in vitro, he said it's basically a crap shoot if the egg is chromosomally normal or abnormal. Apparently there is a 60% chance it's abnormal and the pregnancy is not viable.
    I have two frozen embryos right now, 1 good quality and 1 poor quality. I thought they discarded the poor quality embie but turns out they kept it! Idk why but I feel better knowing I have two more chances left. He said next transfer we can put the two embies in at the same time.

We will try again when I feel ready. Right now I'm better but not completely ready to start again. Thank you ladies for all your support❤️
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm glad that the appointment was positive, even if the doc was a bit flippant. He obviously has no idea how metformin works. It has nothing to do with being fat. It has everything to do with giving you better insulin response and allowing your insulin to not spike allows your estrogen levels to stay normal, which I'm guessing would just by basic understanding make it easier to conceive, just from the estrogen not being like a roller coaster!

But it is definite good that you have options when you're ready to try again, and since you feel better taking metformin and Inositol, keep on keeping on! Personally, I don't think your doc was professional about those comments. I'd have expected something more like, "While we don't understand the exact mechanisms of how those medicines impact fertility and there's no scientific proof that they actually help the process, if you're feeling better on them, I'd say we should keep it that way and give you your best chances!"

LOL

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hiya been away for awhile but back again
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    Hi ladies. I've been on met for almost two months while taking inositol. No luck with inducing a period or ovulation. I've noticed I've been EXTREMELY tired. To the point where I want to just go home and lay down when I get off work. I chalked it up to being stressed or sad about the last ivf cycle. My husband said the met meds are causing my tiredness.
    I don't even have energy to work out like I used to. I'm usually quite peppy and I've lost that.
    I've stopped taking met for the past week and I see a dramatic difference in my mood. I get off work and I want to go out and have date night with the hubs. Or just be out and about. Before, I just wanted to go home and do nothing. I had no motivation to do anything!
    I have an appointment with the RE on Thursday to induce my period and start the frozen egg transfer. I'm a little more optimistic this time since we are transferring two eggs instead of one. Will keep you ladies posted!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    There has been a great deal of discussion in the low carb forum about how under-regulated the generic forms are of most medication, specifically of Metformin. If your doctor does want you continue on the Metformin, I would request the brand name medication, Glucophage. It could very well make a difference, @LolaDeeDaisy23 ...

That being said...and I don't want to say this and be a total jerk and be wrong, but after my miscarriage, I started feeling crazy tired, listless, uninterested in walking or doing the things I'd done, and all kinds of mess. I was depressed and basically wanted to do nothing, really. I was not taking any medications at the time (not related, anyway). I had absolutely no idea at the time, but I was pregnant. It would be at least 4-8 weeks later before that even occurred to me to wonder, but as I was hopeless about the whole situation, it took ages before it occurred to me. Apparently my coworkers suspected long before I did, and started trying to figure out how to test me without me knowing and stuff, because they didn't want to get my hopes up and such.

I have know people to talk about having to get off Metformin while actually pregnant, and others who did not have to do so or needed to stay on it. I am not saying this is what is happening at all, but that was my first thought. I know after all you've been through, at this point, feeling hopeful is probably quite painful, but ... I never had a cycle after my miscarriage. In fact, I was worried that I wouldn't get one again and be able to try again. They had told me I had to get a cycle before I had any chance of conceiving again... They were wrong. I didn't have to do egg transfers, and honestly, I've been told that it was my miscarriage, triggering a weird flush situation that enabled me to be able to get pregnant the way I did...

I so apologize if this is painful to you to even consider, which I hope it's not, since you're optimistic about trying the transfer again, but...having been on inositol and met for this time, it could have made a difference, perhaps Regardless of my thoughts on the matter, I wish you the utmost success in your next transfer! I'm glad to see that taking care of yourself has made a difference in your outlook on everything... (HUGS)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I wanted to chime in, that we've been TTC for about 2 years now. I only ovulated 2 times while on Clomid for 6 months. I asked my doctor to put me on metformin and he wanted to keep me on spironolactone. I finally went to an endocrinolgist and because of my prediabetes, she put me on metformin (in June). I just got a BFP this week! Same symptoms as KnitORMiss, severe fatigue and feeling down.

Seriously, I had given up. I didn't even think metformin would help except for my prediabetes. Please don't lose hope. I had given up so much that I could no longer see a baby in my future. My husband kept reassuring me and telling me to have patience. It happened naturally out of the blue and I have NO idea how.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    @fbmandy55 I am so so happy for your BFP! I have heard stories about women who were told they can't get pregnant, give up, and get pregnant! It truly is a miracle. Thank you for your story.

I haven't posted because I decided not to go through with the egg transfer. I realized I wasn't ready for another failed cycle and if it fails, I don't know what I would do with myself. My last post was in august. Since then, I've taken met every night. If you are a member of The Low Carber Daily Forum group, you would have seen we just adopted a new puppy last week. I've stopped working for a month now. I had a procedure done in the beginning of November and corporate made me take a month of medical leave. As a result, I spent Thanksgiving weekend with my family. I never see them because I work retail, and I always work weekends and holidays.

For the first time in a long time, I feel happy. And today when using the bathroom, I saw I was spotting!!!! Getting my period means I somehow ovulated ON MY OWN. Which is impossible!!!! I am so so happy.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Congratulations on AF @LolaDeeDaisy23! I love how PCOS gets us excited for things others dread, like AF every month.

I've posted my story somewhere here before, maybe the TTC success stories sticky. TL:DR is we were told we'd have a better chance of being struck by lightening then getting pregnant naturally. Hubby has bad swimmers and i've got PCOS. After almost 7 years of BFN, we tried keto and got a BFP in 3 months. I miscarried due to PCOS low progesterone but went back on keto and got pregnant again 4 months later, both time naturally and both a surprise.

My son is now 8 months old and exclusively breastfed until he was 6 months when we introduced some solids. So now he's breastfed with some solids. But until about 7 months old, he had a dairy allergy that wouldnt let me eat any kind of dairy, even trace amounts without him being in extreme pain, bad poo, the works. So keto was just not something I could handle at the time without dairy.

We started keto December 3rd since his dairy allergy seems to be gone finally. That gives us exactly 4 months before he turns 1 to get my cycle back into coming regularly so we can TTC again. If history holds true, by march or april we could be pregnant again. I started tracking my cycles last month, will start my progesterone after I ovulate this month and do that every month. I am turning 40 this month and have had pcos since I was 13 but only started keto in 2014, so time is not on my side and it may take me longer then I hope to get pregnant again.

It is amazing how well our bodies work when we feed them correctly for our situation. Getting AF to come on time so you can track cycles, fixing sperm issues, keeping your insulin low to help a sticky baby stick.

Hang on to hope everyone! We are all in this together, we've all had the same heartaches, month after month after month. It is wonderful we have a place here to vent our frustrations and find an understanding ear.