Hunger

Options
Hi everyone! I've been doing keto for about 2 months now. I always stay under 20g of carbs a day but I'm usually at 10 or less. I keep calories to about 1700 a day. So far I'm down 23.8lbs which I am thrilled about. The past few weeks I've noticed on random days I just feel starving! I try to listen to my body and give it what it needs but I feel guilty sometimes. Anyone else go through the same thing? Any snacks that satiate your hunger? I should also mention I drink a lot of water. Like 4-5 litres a day. Thanks guys!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Some days you will feel hungrier than others. That's not weird at all. Don't feel guilty for giving your body what it needs.

High fat snacks are satiating or have a bigger meal with more fat to help tide you over. Half an avocado sprinkled with some sea salt, pepperoni sticks, cheese - these are all good choices and easy to grab. Keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge, ready to grab if you need a snack.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Samantha is so smart! What she said!

Conversely, don't worry if you aren't eating as many calories some days. One of the major benefits of LCHF, IMO, is that it helps manage hormones (science people?) and you can better recognize your body's hunger signals.
    Listen to it, it's pretty clever.

(PS. Not saying it's a good idea to consistently hit very low calories, but it can happen every so often.)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel more hungry close to my goal weight even though I eat even fewer carbs now than when I started.
    I remember days when I could barely stomach 800 calories, then I could barely keep below my 1300 calorie limit and now, though I'm not tracking anymore, I can't imagine I'm ever at 1300 anymore. Probably 1600 or more most days.
    Even if I try to fast through to dinner, I can't seem to hold off eating. I'm not even an active person.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It's funny I am experiencing that feeling today. I usually can go nearly all day with just my BPC I the mornings but not today...I want to eat everything! I didn't eat much yesterday until dinner and wonder if it correlates....my body says "balance out". I ate two fried eggs with butter. Didn't really help. I'm just suffering till I get a chance to eat again.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I echo Samantha's advice! Spot on. Some days like yesterday I snack to a point where I don't have dinner so I just don't eat it. Some days I am SUPER hungry and chow down on low carb food. Don't feel guilty!

If I find myself overly hungry I add more fats and protein to my meals - avocados, almonds, cheese, hard boiled eggs and beef jerky are good choices. Sometimes I snack on raspberries or blackberries but NOT when I'm really hungry or I will overdo it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yep. Hungrier days will happen. Keep keto friendly foods around for this. This is why I don't worry about the lower calorie days, since the hungrier days are there!