High Bar vs Low Bar

Options
maranarasauce93
maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
I am guessing most of you all have a preference towards low bar, but I was wondering if anyone felt comfortable with one style of squats vs another? I got into powerlifting originally because of crossfit so because we practiced high bar so much, that is what I became the most comfortable with.

Replies

• DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm just a novice lifter and I've never competed before, but I prefer high bar because I don't have the shoulder flexibility to get into a low bar position while keeping my wrists straight. I tried low bar with bent wrists and ended up with bicep tendinitis for a while. I just get the bar as low as I can while keeping my wrists straight so all of the barbell weight stays on my back and not on my arms.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I typically squat high bar during my hypertrophy training cycles, then switch to low bar during a strength cycle. Took me some time to get shoulder mobility where it needed to be to comfortably squat low bar, but it did make a difference being able to squat more weight going low bar.
  • johnboy_miller
    johnboy_miller Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I never really knew there was a difference when I first started lifting. As I learned more I found that I squat low bar and always have really. I have never liked having the bar so high on my neck. But there is many many very strong oly lifters that only squat high bar
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My preference is towards low bar. When I high bar, I'm fighting with my form every rep. When I low bar, everything just seems to fall into place. Although, yes, the needed shoulder mobility can be challenging.
  • seanguard
    seanguard Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started training with low bar. Was a learning curve and getting used to time period but I kinda actually feel like I can lift a bit more with it than high bar.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i train both ways, but i compete high bar. 630 platform best, 725 rev green minis in the gym. and if you carry the bar high enough to feel it in your neck, its too high. it should be resting in/on your traps.