What is something you can do to make you feel better about how you look?

Options
paperfrogmas95
paperfrogmas95 Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
I'm talking about when we have those bad days. Waking up on the wrong side of the bed, getting up and dressed, looking in the mirror and just thinking "I look and feel like utter crap".

When you have those days, what do you do to change your negative thinking and leave the house feeling a little better? I would love to know Xx

Replies

• ATMay22
    ATMay22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always put on a dress on those days! 1- it's way easier, and in Alabama- WAY cooler and 2- you end up getting a lot of compliments. Your hair can be a mess and have on no makeup, but you put on a dress and people think you've dressed up! (Also works for days you wake up super late. My life)
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    have you tried sexy bras/panties? I have a new love for them. Knowing that I have something super sexy under my clothes makes me stand a little taller.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Lipstick and heels. Even if I don't look perfect, I feel a little more presentable.
  • GeorgiePie88
    GeorgiePie88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm going through quite a stressful period in my life now, but I'm finding that it's important to enjoy the little things. Putting on my favourite show/movie, doing my nails, and doing my makeup always makes me feel better (even if it's just temporarily). Hanging around someone you love who acts goofy and funny also helps. My husband has an amazing talent of cheering me up.

During really bad times, it's so easy to not take care of yourself and just let yourself spiral down a dark hole. It's so important to give yourself a "break" from negative feelings as they will slowly wear you down and disable you from fighting whatever's stressful in your life. If I try my best to eat, sleep, and laugh, then I will be stronger to deal with issues that bring me down.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    For me, it is makeup (a dress and heels don't hurt). I spent a lot of my 30s not really thinking I was pretty (and gaining weight, as well -- grad school is stressful). Then I got contact lenses and got back into makeup (including eyeshadow, fun liner colors, highlighters, bold lipstick, and bright nails) and it really did make me feel better about myself.

The other thing I like (which is related) is expensive skincare. I probably spend close to an hour getting ready in the morning (and don't even want to total the purchase price of the items I am using) but it is just a nice period of time to myself where I am getting ready for the day. If you don't have that much time, sheet masks, clay masks, foot peels, bath bombs, etc., are all nice little luxuries.

This may not work for everyone. But I am going through a feminine phase right now and this stuff is making me happy.
  • hilarytwilary
    hilarytwilary Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    On those days, I tell myself "being good-looking isn't everything. You are not worth less just because you're having an off-day, self-image wise. You have worth because you are smart, capable, funny, creative, etc." And then every time I notice my thoughts going to that "I'm ugly/fat/whatever" place, I redirect my thoughts to the function of my body--I say to myself (in my head) "My legs are strong and carry me around, and I am grateful. My eyes and ears and other senses help me experience the world, and I am grateful. My brain is full of thoughts and feelings and helps me make smart decisions, and I am grateful." It sounds corny, but I really find that this helps me take the focus off how I look when I'm in one of those moods, and I end up feeling way better as the day goes on. For me, dressing up or putting on make up usually makes me feel worse when I'm feeling gross to begin with.
  • iSpendLots
    iSpendLots Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me, spending the time on my hands and feet make a huge difference. Polish, toe rings, anklets, rings and bracelets - can be used for any manner of dressing. This small effort makes all the difference in the world about how I see myself that day.
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yep...to all of the above...I usually will indulge in a bubble bath if I can or wear that one 'go to' outfit..that makes me feel good about myself even when I have a bad day. Hugging the dog helps too...he loves the way I look!
  • jalynwatson21
    jalynwatson21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Normally I try to balance having a productive and lazy day. I feel the best when I get some stuff done, such as writing or drawing. When I lay in bed feeling emotionally yucky I tend to ruminate. But then in the evening I paint my nails, use a face mask, exfoliate, and watching silly movies. Also I dress a bit nicer that day.
  • gingerninja110
    gingerninja110 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As long as my hair is clean & looking o.k., I'm good to go. If my hair is yucky, that's how I feel, no matter what I wear.