Supplements on LC/HF diet

quatermore
quatermore Posts: 96 Member
Hello to all. I’ve just started this WOE and am extremely pleased with my initial results. However, I do have some questions about supplementation. I hope some background information will help in your replies.

-insulin resistance for past 15 years
- 750mg Metformin 2x's daily
-<40 grams of carbs daily
-Nutrition goals are as follows-Carbohydrates-10%, Fat-70%, Protein 20%

I understand the need for hydration and an electrolyte balance in the body, but it is not clear what I actually need beyond proper hydration and basic mineral supplementation. Based on my limited research, I have added chelated magnesium at bedtime. I truly believe in getting the majority of my nutrients from the foods I’m consuming, but I don’t want to shortchange myself. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks
-I will be not be able to respond to any replies until later this afternoon (6/3/2016)

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Good for you on starting with the magnesium supplement.

For an electrolyte balance, look into meeting your sodium needs in your food. Broth and pickles are easy ways to get your sodium needs met.

Potassium is another mineral that may need to be supplemented, but if you keep your sodium needs met - the potassium is not the biggest deal. Avocado is a way to get potassium in food, as well as spinach, mushrooms, and salmon.

You can also look into using a no-salt substitute for your food that contains potassium.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Magnesium is a great start but make sure you are getting enough and the right kind (should end in -ate rather than -ide). If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, you are probably deficient in Vitamin D3 - I supplement 5000 IUs but I've heard of folks going much higher. Getting plenty of sodium and ensuring you eat foods high in potassium helps ensure the balance of salt/potassium in and outside of the cells.

While I agree that getting nutrients from food is important the challenge lies in the fact that farming techniques emphasize production over quality and soil is often depleted of important nutrients you may need. I am exploring cutting back on some supplementation during the summer when I can access fresh veggies grown locally by organic farmers.

I'm sure others will have great suggestions for you!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I agree on electrolytes. Sodium can be gained from things like sausage, bacon, and other animal products. Potassium can be obtained from spinach.

Personally, I take a GNC Vita Pak every day. They are somewhat expensive, though, so not for everyone. I also take magnesium, glucosamine, and additional fish oil.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Stephen Phinney recommends slow-release Mag Delay and Mag 64 (generic versions of Slow Mag), which are magnesium chloride.

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011/04/14/steve-phinney-low-carb-preserves-glycogen-better-than-high-carb/
  • quatermore
    Thanks to all for all the suggestions.
    -samanthaluan- Thanks ,broth and pickles for sodium replacement sound great because I do have issues with affordability.
    Ambergem1969-Thanks for your input. I also buy locally grown vegetables whenever I can.
    Midwesterner…Thanks, I too enjoy sausage, bacon and other animal products! I think I’ll go to Kroger and purchase that big container of spinach.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited June 2016
    Currently using Mg-Threonate (Mag-T). This version was tested at MIT and thus far is the only salt of Mg2+ capable of penetrating the Blood Brain Barrier...animal studies have shown improvements in long term memory. Advantage being this form of Mg2+ can act as a Ligand on NMDA receptors to aid against excited states (from glutamate, aspartate) with implication for benefiting Alzheimer's. But then again, animal studies.

Go by your blood work if possible. Why supplement with sodium if you are within normal limits? Why guess if intracellular levels are low?
  • quatermore
    edited June 2016
    V_Keto_V-Thank you for the information on both issues.
    I really don't want to supplement sodium if I don't need to. I haven't been on this WOE enough time to have blood tests done, but will within the next 3 months.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    You're losing a lot of sodium. So supplementing is simply replenishing what's getting dumped every day. I can't imagine you'll get enough just from salting foods.