Helpful Ideas

Options
cjdsign
cjdsign Posts: 202 Member
I got a timer, kitchen timer, from dollar tree for $1 that I set for example, 15 mins. When the timer goes off, I stop what I am doing and go lay down. I have trouble knowing when to stop, so this new addition works great! I have the awful habit of "pushing through the pain" which in my case is not a good thing to do. I often forget time and it bites me with severe pain and more disability. The timer thingy is working for me!

Replies

• cjdsign
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I got a timer, kitchen timer, from dollar tree for $1 that I set for example, 15 mins[/i][/i][/i]. When the timer goes off, I stop what I am doing and go lay down. I have trouble knowing when to stop, so this new addition works great! I have the awful habit of "pushing through the pain" which in my case is not a good thing to do. I often forget time and it bites me with severe pain and more disability. The timer thingy is working for me!
  • cjdsign
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Cheesy Said, "I've set up MFP so my daily calorie goal is at about my minimal metabolic rate and for sedentary activity, so I should lose weight even if I'm bed bound. I also enabled the "negative" exercise calories, so days where I'm inactive it subtracts calories from the goals. I've found that a low-carb diet has been best for helping curb any cravings, especially while on steroids. I try to walk as much as I'm able, and a step counter has been really motivating and helpful to see patterns (for instance, a full grocery shopping trip is as many steps as a day at work for me, so that explained why I struggled so much doing both on the same day!). During bad spells I just walk around in my house more, taking breaks as I need. During good spells my dog gets some exercise too " This is a great way to work this calorie system here on MFP. Thank You Cheesy!
  • cjdsign
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Happy Auntie said, "I joined a gym 3 weeks ago with my husband. I am tired of letting my disease run my life so I am taking it back! I rode the bike 20 minutes today and did very light weight training to hopefully build some muscle strength." Thank you for your input Auntie!
  • cjdsign
    Options
    Moobaloo said, "I've just gone low carb & low cal, high protein, fibre & fat on the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet - 4 days in & I've lost 7lbs ":smile: great advice, Thank you!!
  • Gogohobbs
    Gogohobbs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I take 1000 mg of turmeric a day. I really it helps me. I've started using the timer and that really keeps me from way over doing it..
  • cjdsign
    Options
    Gogohobbs wrote: »
    I take 1000 mg of turmeric a day. I really it helps me. I've started using the timer and that really keeps me from way over doing it..

OH Margo! Welcome aboard! And I use turmeric on many things! I'll start capsuling it up! I have a huge jelly jar filled with it!! Thank YOU!
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I add Turmeric to my Indian dishes but tbh I only use a tiny amount as too much is horrible!
  • comic_mcfly
    comic_mcfly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    cjdsign wrote: »
    I got a timer, kitchen timer, from dollar tree for $1 that I set for example, 15 mins. When the timer goes off, I stop what I am doing and go lay down. I have trouble knowing when to stop, so this new addition works great! I have the awful habit of "pushing through the pain" which in my case is not a good thing to do. I often forget time and it bites me with severe pain and more disability. The timer thingy is working for me!

You could also use your cell phone if you can and you can start at any number. I used it for stretching exercises
  • cjdsign
    Options
    @comic_mcfly, Long story, but I use to have a cell, and 3 tablets, short story, I dropped them all in WalMart pking lot. The last 2 just after I started logging my steps with a step counter in March last yr. so for me this tiny timer works great! But thanks for the idea for others!
  • comic_mcfly
    comic_mcfly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    cjdsign wrote: »
    @comic_mcfly, Long story, but I use to have a cell, and 3 tablets, short story, I dropped them all in WalMart pking lot. The last 2 just after I started logging my steps with a step counter in March last yr. so for me this tiny timer works great! But thanks for the idea for others!

ok sucks
  • cjdsign
    Options
    I wrote this, but it applies here too..

As far as food prep, I know it is hard for you, but when you are making a meal, make enough for two meals or more, the oven can hold quite a few and freeze the extra ones and eat one.

Pre-clean & Cut Veggies- when you get your veggies from the store, after resting from the trip & unloading them, go back and prep them. Put them each in baggies and load them into your fridge. This way, you have snacks that are easy to grab and stuff prepped for salads, stir-fry, soups, casseroles, or crock potting it!

:) Grabbing a potato, putting broccoli and cheese on it will make a nice easy meal.

Also, when you cook your meats, shred the extra, baggie it up and use it on your salads, soups, casseroles.

I often soak a bag of beans overnight, then the next AM, rinse them, put them in the crock pot, drop in some carrots, celery, onion (that have been prepped) and some chicken or beef flavoring and then set it to 8 to 10 hrs and when I get in, dinner is ready.

Casseroles can be frozen, so can soup & bean soup too! I use bags, as they are easier for me and clean up is rinsing and putting in the recycle bin. They also lay flat and freeze faster than the containers. They label easily with a Sharpie. I use the date I freeze and just rotate the stacks around so the food gets used.

If you have to get canned, get low or no salt. I can my own veggies, stews, soups and meats, jellies, pickles, chili & sauce. But I don't use the "extra salt", with the exception of meats. I also grow and dry my own seeds and herbs. This is a year long process for me and I do a little each day and wow what a difference.

Check your local thrifts for crock pot, casserole dishes with or without lids, a blender, toaster, and such as they will be cheaper and ck to see they work before buying. Most places let you do that.

I just found a crock pot for $4 at the thrift; this after my Stepson left a meal in mine at his house the other day. I chucked that one and got a new one...The other was growing science stuff and I am toxic to molds!! LOL

I have a difficult time standing. I found a $5 backed stool that sits in the kitchen and I use it when I am doing dishes, cooking and cutting. I sit down to cut foods and prep foods and package foods, as my disability also includes neuropathy in both legs and feet, and co-ordination is a bother. :dizzy: CJ