Trying to "find myself" again

Options
jetsamflotsam
jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
The last few days I've been thinking about how much I've changed since my teens and 20's. I used to be a very outgoing happy girl, eager to participate in whatever was happening, full of energy and laughter. Life took a real toll and I morphed into a VERY introverted person. I'm still confident and opinionated, but I avoid most activities and dread going out. I'm happiest when I'm at home with my two favourite guys (hubs and son)...

I feel like I'm starting to obsess over this WOE and am sinking more into my introversion than ever. I don't want that. I got dressed for the first time since Wednesday and we're going to the beach today. I posted on the local homeschooling page where we are going and invited them to join us (totally out of my comfort zone). Wish my luck.

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I tend to be the same way, but it's mostly due to depression. I'm trying to get out more as well.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Any major change often has the same effect on me. My move across country last fall gave me several spells of what I call depression but I hate using that term because I've never been officially diagnosed with it. But there I was, sitting alone and ruminating on all my troubles and tearing up at everything. Thankfully, it didn't last more than a couple of weeks.

Going to the beach and inviting others to join you sounds like the perfect prescription for curing what ails you and it proves you are stronger than you may think.

I think obsessing over this WOE is something we all do, at least at first. After all, LCHF is a new and somewhat radical concept for most of us. It's the high fat part that takes our brains some getting used to. Add to that all the marvelous info found in this group, all the stuff to learn, all the searching out recipes, all the medical studies to read through. . . It's a new and exciting thing to find LCHF and know that, finally, we can get our weight under control. Maybe what you are experiencing is part obsessing and part joyous excitement! Whichever, enjoy it while it lasts.
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    Had a lovely afternoon at the beach with the family. None of the other families showed up, but there were a couple kids my son knew there so it was still fun for him. It's HOT out today so we're camping out by the fan and drinking lots of cold drinks (calorie free of course!).
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Where do you get energy from? Connect with people exhausting or energizing. Me, I am an extravert (the definitive energized by people) others need time by themselves to recharge. Both intraverts and extraverts can be very social folk and both can be shy, even socially anxious. When I move countries I go through a period of stabalisation where I am more cautious. The hurdle of energy required for participating in or organising events is higher. Tricky bit is if I don't get out and connect I become sad. Maybe right now son and husband is perfect for you. If not then loving your overcoming barriers and asking folk out. Good luck.
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    I get my energy from alone time. I spent about 80% of my time alone at home and I relish and enjoy it thoroughly. I very rarely feel bored or restless, I'm most at ease when I'm alone, puttering around with my little home routine. Socializing with friends, and even too much time with my family is completely draining. I can't do crowds at all anymore. I experienced some pretty major trauma in my 20's, gained a lot of weight, and that's when socializing ceased to energize me. I'm not a depressed person, I generally feel quite at peace and happy, other than the normal odd sad or difficult day, usually circumstantial. I just wonder if losing this weight and becoming more comfortable with how I look, and being able to move with more ease will open me up again and I'll become more extroverted again... Has anyone experienced anything like that? I was watching a youtube video the other night and the girl had lost a LOT of weight and was talking about how she wishes she wasn't so loud and outgoing now, and how when she was overweight she was so much more subdued and quiet... Just got me thinking/wondering about that... not really that important, just sharing... LOL
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been a single parent for over eight years. My life was all about raising my children and working. I thought that as soon as my children were grown and I got down past a certain number on the scale, my personal life would begin again. Well, my youngest is now in college and I have lost almost 80 pounds over the past year. I feel great and people tell me that I look great. Everything should just fall into place, right? No, not that simple. I am seeing a therapist to help me mentally adjust to the new me. It has been rather shocking to discover that making food/exercise changes has been easier than changing how I see myself and how I relate to others!
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I struggle with energy a lot and have definitely lost myself - I am a single parent of a child with special needs and also suffer from depression, so I have no time to myself at all - I also home educate him at the moment, although we are now looking at getting him into a special school which will then give me some extra time to myself - I have become very reclusive too due to my sons social and behavioural issues so it would be great to be able to get outside more and do things I love to do - I am really happy to be finally looking after my weight problem though and feeling more in control.

I used to travel loads and worked in the city had a great social life and really enjoyed life, so it feels very different now.
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    I have a feeling there will be some counselling my future...
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I came to this woe as a result of internal growth/change. I did a lot of self introspection before I changed my diet. I am an extreme introvert too. I just bought some new clothes that are a lot tighter than I am used to wear. It has been quite an adjustment.

One of my colleagues told me she lost 50 pounds and thought her life would be different. She said, "My life didn't because I am still me." It broke my heart and reminded me not to have unrealistic expectations from losing all of the weight.