Incorrect Carb Count on MyFitnessPal

Options
kmccullough88
kmccullough88 Posts: 3 Member
Hello fellow ketogenic dieters, and thanks for letting me join you in this fine group!

I've been on the ketogenic diet for about 6 months and have noticed some positive changes from carving sugars out of my life (weight loss, clearer skin, better sleep, more energy).

However, my weight loss has stalled in large part because so many of the food entries on MyFitnessPal focus solely on calories and disregard carbohydrates...and, as a result, I'm frequently eating more carbs than I want to or realize. For instance, I had a beer yesterday (oops!) and added it to my Snacks list, but I noticed that the entry read "125 calories....0 g carbs....." which I know isn't correct. (Photo attached for reference).

How do the rest of the members of this ketogenic community deal with the incorrect carb counts of many of the food entries on MyFitnessPal? Do you just know from experience the general number of carbohydrates per fruit/vegetable/etc. and count them outside of this tool? Do you add your own items per the food label(s) and just stick with the ones you've added? Is there any way for us to report incorrect carb counts on specific entries to the admins of MyFitnessPal? (Even the green checkmarked "verified" entries are frequently incorrect, which makes my carb counts an educated guess at best and WAY above my daily goal at worst.)

Thanks in advance for your help in getting me back on the right track!
ty9p2pmn3u3x.png

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Because MFP is user-generated, you may end up with incorrect info. Especially if people are just coutning calories and not carbs.

It's annoying, but for instances like this - I either scour for the right info since some things have multiple entries ot create my own.

I also cross-reference packaging and the internet. For produce and meat, you can verify against the USDA website with their info.

• kmccullough88
    kmccullough88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice @samanthaluangphixay I'll probably do the same - cross-reference with labels. The hardest part comes when manually uploading recipes, because SO MANY of the ingredients are wrong, and it takes a lot of time to correct all of them. Still, I'm committed to getting accurate carb counts, so it's worth it for now!
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I tend to create my own entries- especially for foods I frequently eat.
  • jennbrook180
    jennbrook180 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just found this same issue with Eggs (2 different brands) when I scanned the bar code.

It does get easier once you find the correct items :)
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just discovered yesterday that you can edit existing MFP database entries. If you search for something, click on the item, then on Nutrition (it's to the right of where you put in the amount you ate plus which meal). A page will pop up with the nutrition information. There are two buttons: Is this correct? Yes/No. If you click No, you can edit the information. At the bottom is a field where you enter what you fixed. This little discovery has been invaluable!