Help Please! Week 4 Weight Loss Stall

Options
Hello Fellow Keto-ers,
I wanted to ask for some advice. And perhaps some of you can weigh in and tell me if what I am thinking is right to trouble-shoot my weight loss stall.
Some back ground: SW: 285 (so I am not a boney girl with not much to loose). Current weight: 271.6
Last week I traveled for work, was on a plane all day, didn't eat before I left, didn't pack any snacks (I know I know!) then by the time I got to the hotel I ate cheeseburger no bun with the veggies with celery and ranch.

I ate breakfast (eggs and Canadian bacon) the first day, and eggs with sausage the second day. For dinner I ate little to nothing. It was a work trip, we worked long hours, and in the area we were in they had issues with water so I barely drank any of that either.

So I messed up, now my weight loss has stalled and even got up by the .6 pounds. I am thinking because I am retaining water and my body has gone into some keto starvation mode. I also read that on keto sometimes you body will take the water that you do ingest and hold onto it until it feel safe to release.

I have fallen off plan a single time. I haven't eaten anything inappropriate, the only thing I did wrong is failed to plan and didn't eat during my trip.

I have been back 2 days, and have gone back to hitting my macros, but I am frustrated about this stall.

Of course I don't think I will lose weight at the rate that I did the first couple of weeks, but it the scale can keep going down consistently I will be fine with that. But I need to get my body on track.

This morning I have checked with the keto-stix and I was in the deep range not the highest one, but still deep. I am usually at the moderate level. I have read that that can sometimes mean dehydration.

Can someone please make some suggestions to assist, or tell me you agree or disagree with my hypothesis.

I know everyone's body is different, but I would appreciate your help.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation with dehydration and such due to working out of doors. I'd say get extra water, extra electrolytes, get back to the plan that works, and be patient.

Ignore that scale, because you will gain water with travel PERIOD. It usually comes off within 2-7 days, depending on your individual body processes. Take measurements and pictures. When my scale slows, I generally lose inches or do a kind of recomp. When they scale is moving, the inches don't.

Basically, your body kind of freaked out a bit because it didn't know what you were doing. You did the best you could, and didn't eat off plan - which admittedly is more than most of us would have done! Now spend the next week to two getting back to what worked, and avoid that scale for at least 5-7 days to process the travel water off...

Ketogenic diets are a lesson in patience, for sure!
  • eliseagraves
    eliseagraves Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with KnitOrMiss, don't let the scale get you down. It is going to fluctuate and stall, don't worry, have faith in your protocol it work. Here is a graph of my weight loss- there are weeks I am stalled or going the wrong way. Still in the long run I reached my goal. Indeed it is sometimes an exercise in patients.
  • eliseagraves
    Options
    fxiay5dshdkb.png
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Those foods you've listed are high in sodium & w/ little to no water intake, I'm sure you're retaining. I'd look & feel like a balloon after that. Pound the water, eat lower sodium foods...enjoy some asparagus, it will help rid you of excess water as well.
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    So you listen to Keto talk podcast? They give tons of good advice.

I read what you eat and it sounds closer to low carb high protein, Keto works best with low carb high fat. You have to be careful with to much protein it's called gluconeogenesis, where you body starts turning your protein into sugar that will kick you out of ketosis.

I do agree with drinking water is a great idea.

As far as starvation mode that is a myth when you are fat adapted. Your body is already burning your bossy fat for fuel. Right now I am in the middle of a 24hr fast. I do it Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I go from breakfast to breakfast with out eating drinking water with some type of electrolyte. Dr. Jason Fung is a good person to reference about that on you tube.

On the days I fast I still hit the gym at lunch and do all the other things I normally do.

These are just a few suggestions I started at 275 I am now at 236. I am sure I don't know everything about Keto, but I am learning a lot. Please check out that podcast it's a dr. And Jimmy Moore. They cover a lot.

• walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Those foods you've listed are high in sodium & w/ little to no water intake, I'm sure you're retaining. I'd look & feel like a balloon after that. Pound the water, eat lower sodium foods...enjoy some asparagus, it will help rid you of excess water as well.

Low carb and low sodium is a recipe for disaster. When you go low carb you body releases sodium. This is in chapter 4 of Dr. James Carlson's book Genocide how your doctor ignorance will kill you. Sodium and water retiontion is a product of fat retiontion which is controlled by insulin.
  • KetoGenesis2016
    KetoGenesis2016 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of your feedback. I actually read it somewhere that when you go Keto you loose lots of sodium and that's why it's ok to have foods that are higher in it? Was I misinformed? I actually thought that was the reason I never got the Keto flu. So I have been not paying attention at all to my sodium, so now I'll be more careful.

Additionally I will listen to the podcasts as well to educate myself. As it stand I'm reading everything I can get ahold of, but more is always better because I want this for life.

Thank you all for your caring, sharing and information.

Rochelle
  • eliseagraves
    Options
    When you notice the relationship between the high sodium foods and apparent weight gain you may be tempted to cut back on sodium to make the scale look better. But you're just fooling yourself because being dehydrated may give you a better number on the scale but it does not mean you've lost fat and it is not healthy. Don't let the scale rule you!
  • KetoGenesis2016
    Options
    Thank you. I will just wait this out and drink more water!
  • KetoGenesis2016
    Options
    I want to loop back in and sincerely thank you all for caring enough to comment on my post. I took all of your comments to heart and I am proud to say things are now beginning to move again in the right direction. You all are awesome!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Low carb and low sodium is a recipe for disaster. When you go low carb you body releases sodium. This is in chapter 4 of Dr. James Carlson's book Genocide how your doctor ignorance will kill you. Sodium and water retiontion is a product of fat retiontion which is controlled by insulin.

She was retaining, not releasing water, due to the circumstances listed. No offense, but your statement is invalid in this case.

What I was suggesting was to rid the excess retention. Period.

If your daily water intake is high, yes, you will need additional sodium/electrolytes to make up for what is being flushed from your system. This was clearly not the case.

rford142 wrote: »
    I want to loop back in and sincerely thank you all for caring enough to comment on my post. I took all of your comments to heart and I am proud to say things are now beginning to move again in the right direction. You all are awesome!

Awesome! Onward & downward!