Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building - Take 2

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    last day of workouts until friday. i get two days off \o/

this was more accessory. not great, not the end of the world. turns out 45 pounds is a LOT to bench press when you're doing it 15 times every set. didn't really feel like i was getting the form i wanted until the last set, but there was a lineup by that time and i'd already done 15x2 . . . so.

somewhat the same thing with squats. i got those done too, and then since i hadn't really been happy enough i went and did 3x15 front squats as well with the 30lb bar. that felt like my form was better, but it was DEATH.

since i started this 3x15 set thing, i haven't had nearly the doms that i dreaded each day (touch wood). i'm arbitrarily deciding for now that this is because i leave the gym, sit down somewhere as soon as i can, and eat something that grew on a plant. today's anti-doms dosage was an orange and four peaches . . .

and the moment i got home i dug a protein bar out of the freezer and ate that as well. i was just thinking how weird it is that the wendler programme doesn't give me the deadlift hungries the way sl did . . .

BUT I WAS WRONG.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi @Kerryatoon ! Welcome and I love your name :)

Week 7/Day 14/Total Weeks 7
    Today's workout, SL's B

Squat: 45lbs 2x5, 80lbs 5x5
    OHP: 45lbs 5x5
    DL: 45lbs 1x5, 95lbs 1x5, 135lbs 1x5
    BB Curls: 30lbs 3x8

Back in the gym again, Saw my Ortho last Wednesday, he said my MRI didn't look that bad, but that didn't mean that I wasn't in pain and I was, a lot of pain :-(
    He gave me a cortisone shot, within minutes after the shot I was able to lift my arm over my head comfortably, what a nice feeling :-) He wants me back in 4 weeks to followup and see what is happening.
    I did end up taking time away until today to let my shoulder rest & recover. So overall it went pretty good, I was able to OHP again, barbell only, but I was able to do it relatively pain free :-)
    Deadlift, ehh, not so good, funny, I knew as I was doing it that it wasn't going well, tried to adjust my form but just couldn't get it together & ended up rushing through to make it end and probably made it even worse :( But today is over and the next B day will be better!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ^^^ wrong thread, silly me.
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    5minty, so glad to hear that your Ortho doesn't think things are too bad. I know it's hard not being able to lift the way you way too.
    So glad everyone is hanging in there and getting their routines done.

Week:7 / Workout: A /Total Weeks: 23

Squats - 76 lbs 4x6
    Bench Press - 64 lbs 4x6
    Pendlay Rows - 63 lbs 4x6
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi all. I meant to post yesterday but forgot.

WEEK: 6 / Day 3 (Disregard last post. This workout was done yesterday)

Squats: 5 x 6 @ 100 lbs.
    Bench Press: 5 x 6 @ 60 lbs. Darn the shoulder. It hurts again! Errrrr!
    Rows: 5 x 6 @ 60 lbs.
    Cardio: bicycling and 3.5 mile run
    Macros: back to IF 16:8 since I ate so badly this weekend plus it's that time of month.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Been out for a bit, not checking in. Summer always crazy it seems. Great to see everyone doing so well!

Still working on my hip getting back to normal. Had another adjustment on Sat, and stayed away from the gym until Tues. Got in and was feeling really good for a change. I have started doing some yoga stretches before hitting the weights and not sure if that is helping or it's the chiro, but going to keep both up.

Tues, May 31
    Squat 5x5@155lbs
    OHP 5x5@70lbs
    DL 1x5@150lbs

Wed, June 1- trying to go 5 days a week and get some cardio in (which I just really don't like). Feel like a gerbil on a wheel....
    General warm up, hopped on the treadmill and was done at 10mins.
    Squats 1x10@45pds
    1x10@65pds
    3x10@95pds
    Lat pull down
    1x10@65pds
    1x10@90pds
    1x7@105pds (couldn't do anymore)
    2X10@95pds
    Leg press
    3x10@145pds
    2x10@165pds
    Then finished off with 20 mins interval training on the bike, 2 mins rest 1 min balls to the wall.

Was fun!

• Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies! I was at the gym late last night and didn't get to posting. Here was my workout last night:

Week 3/Day 9/Total Weeks 3
    Workout A - All Exercises Warmup: 1x5 45lbs

=== I didn't increase weight because I was nursing a slight wrist strain. But I was able to do these without much discomfort. It actually feels better today than it did yesterday.===

1.5 miles treadmill run, 5.3mph
    5x5 squat 85lbs
    5x5 bench 65lb
    5x5 rows 50lb
    Face pulls 5x10 50lb
    Cable crunch 4x14 100lb
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you all had a relaxing Memorial Day weekend! I'm catching up for this week. My schedule got thrown off by being out of town on Monday.

@5minty - good to hear that you're healing well! Take your time getting back and listen to your body - it knows what's best to keep you well.

Week 6/ Day 18/ Total Weeks 6
    Workout B (Friday before Memorial Day)
    Squats
    5x5 @ 125lbs

OHP
    5/5/4/5/3 @ 80lbs. Was very tough. I tried very hard to make the lifts. I got a slight strain in my upper back/ neck area. I'm proud of my effort.

Deadlift
    5x5 @ 170lbs. Started to feel very challenging!

Week 7 / Day 19 / Total Weeks 7
    Workout A (Tuesday)

Squats
    Work Set - 5x5 @ 130lbs. Lift went well, starting to really feel all muscles working.

Bench Press
    Work Set - 5x5 @ 90lbs. Surprisingly well. Made all lifts with no issues. Kept good form, too.

Row
    Work Set - 5x5 @ 110lbs. Got tougher towards the end. We'll see about this one. I'm working on learning to do a laying row.

Week 7/ Day 20/ Total Weeks 7
    Workout B (Thursday)

Squats
    Work Set - 5x5 @ 135lbs

OHP
    Work Set - 5/4/5/5/4 @ 80lbs - 2nd time around and didn't make reps/sets. No worries, did better than last time.

Deadlifts
    Work Set - 5x5 @ 180lbs
    Made it. Very challenging. I remember when I liked to do more of these! :o Was happy to get through it - but felt good.

Back at it on Saturday!! Will get my 3 days in somehow!
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Happy to see a very motivated group of strong ladies!

Deadlift 120lbs 1 X 5
    OHP 47.5lbs 3 X 5
    Assisted pullups
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @lwhayes , thank you :) and you are KILLING Strong Lifts! Keep it up girl, you deserve to be super proud of yourself!!!!

Week 7/Day 15/Total Weeks - 7
    today's workout, SL A

Squat: 45lb 1x5, 65lb 1x5, 80lb 5x5

BP: 45lb 1x5, 75lb 1x5 (unghhhhh, shoulder not quite ready yet)! 70lb 4x5

Row: 45lb 1x5, 65lb 5x5
    +
    Skullcrushers 25lb BB 2x15
    Shrugs: 2x25lbs 2x15
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Good job Kerryatoon, Sixpacklady, Iwhayes, Isca_1, Dcresider, 5Minty!
    My apologies if I missed anyone. Have a great weekend!

Week:7 / Workout: A /Total Weeks: 23
    Deadlifts - 105 lbs 4x6
    OHP - 46 lbs 5,6,5,5
    Reverse Pullups - 4x6
  • dcresider
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi guys. I think I typed up everything yesterday only my post disappeared. So here's my workout from yesterday.

Week: 6 / Day 3

Squats: 5 x 5 @ 105lbs.
    Overhead Presses: 5 x 6 @ 50lbs. Managed to finish all reps and sets. Shoulder still twinges but doesn't hurt.
    Deadlifts: 1 x 6 @ 145 lbs. Did fine with these
    Romanian deadlifts: 5 x 6 @ 95lbs. Hamstrings a bit sore and love that feeling.
    [Bench press narrow hold for triceps: 5 x 6 @ 45lb. bar. No soreness at triceps but my shoulders and back are pretty sore so that's a good sign.
    Cardio: 30 minute hilly run

macros: Stayed within my macros. Once I conquer this, I know my weight loss will start showing.

weight: .5 lbs. loss.
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Thanks 5minty and DDHFree!

Week 6/ Day 21/ Total Weeks 6
    Workout A

Sat workout

Squats
    5x5@ 140lbs - went well. Breathing correctly really helps me complete these. They were challenging. Really feeling it.

Bench Press
    5x5 @ 95lbs - surprisingly, completed sets with no issues. Felt good.

Barbell row
    5x5 @ 115lbs - on last 2 reps of sets 4 and 5, very hard. Even though completed, feel like staying at this weight again.

Getting back to my Mon-Wed-Fri lift schedule, with 2 days of cardio next week. Certainly needed today as a rest day :*

See ya guys tomorrow.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Iwhayes you are lifting some heavy weight. How long have you been lifting?
    Dcresider congrats on the .5 lbs loss. Way to go girl!

Week:8 / Workout: A /Total Weeks: 24
    Squats - 77 lbs 4x6
    Bench Press - 65 lbs 6,6,5,5 (so proud to finally be able to bench 65 lbs)
    Pendlay Rows - 65 lbs 4x6
  • Kerryatoon
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies! You are all so inspiring.. I'm gonna keep on keeping on!

I didn't get on here this weekend but here was my workout on Friday night: I'm increasing all my lifts! Had to move up less than 5lbs on OH Press but still managed to increase! My Deadlift kicked so much kitten!

Week 3/Day 11/Total Weeks 3
    Workout B - All SL Exercises Warmup: 1x5 45lbs

1.0 miles treadmill run
    5x5 squat 90lbs
    5x5 OH Press 50lbs
    1x5 DL 85lbs
    Upright rows: 5x12 25lbs
    Face pulls: 5x10 40lbs
    Hanging Leg Raises: 5x10
    Assisted Pull ups: 3x5 70lb assist
    Assisted Dips: 3x8 70lb assist

My body is getting so much harder.. I'm loving this! Ready to destroy this week. Looking forward to the gym tonight!! :)
  • dcresider
    Options
    Do you know what I love about this group? I love that we are all determined and that we keep coming back. You are all inspiring.

WEEK: 7 / Day 1

Squats: 5 x 6 @ 110 lbs.
    Bench Press: 5 x 6 @ 60 lbs. WTH! Shoulder felt fine today. I think I'll move up on Friday.
    Rows: 5 x 6 @ 65 lbs. I decided to move on weights and these were pretty darn easy.
    Cardio: bicycling and 20 min HIIT intervals on treadmill.
    Macros: back to IF 16:8 for the week. Still at 1330 calories and adding my cardio back in so calories for the day is 1630.
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    DDHFree- I'm a newbie. Started Strong Lifts 7 weeks ago at Mehdi's recommended levels. Before 5x5, I was doing DVDs with hand weights and kettle bells. I feel like I'm starting to reach my max on certain exercises. But, I committed to follow 5x5 pretty closely, only exception is with the HIIT cardio. I'm known for trying "to make a program better" :)

Week 8/ Day 22/ Workout B/ Total Weeks 8
    I had the weeks wrong in my last post.

Squats - 5x5@ 145lbs - went well. Felt strong today. Really focusing on form and breathing.

OHP - program deloaded me after 2 failed attempts at 80 lbs.
    5x5 @ 70 lbs.

Deadlifts - 5x5 @ 190lbs Yep, 190lbs! It was really hard today! I really don't know if I can do 200lbs. But, I'll give it a try and do my best. I remember when I wanted to do more sets of DLs ... those were the days! ;)

Warm-up - did the progressive weights recommended by the program. Planning to try the Agile 8 warm-up next time.

I love this group. I learn so much. And, there is so much to learn!

Will take my half-way measurements and photos this Sunday. I have to work Saturday.

Take care all!
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Hi ladies! You are all doing so good!!! Major props to each of you :)

Week 4/ Day 12/total weeks 4.

I ate on point today, nailed my macros. Tonight's workout: running felt pretty amazing.. Getting better and better. Upped my weights too!

Workout A

Jog 1.5 miles 5.2 mph 170cals
    Squats 5x5 95lb
    Bench 5x5 70lb
    Barbell row 5x5 55lb

Accessory lifts:
    Face pulls 5x10 60lb
    Cable crunch 4x12 100lb
    Assist pull ups 79 lbs lifted 3x5
    Assist dips 79 lbs lifted 3x8
  • dcresider
    Options
    Good job Kerryatoon and IWhayes820. You are both killing it and I'm trying to catch up. :)

Today's cardio workout: light 40 minute run plus commute to and from work by bike about 44 minutes total.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good job all of you!!

Squat 85 lbs 3 X 5
    Bench 57.5 3 X 4
    DB rows 22.5 3 X 8