Motivation and Kicking Old Habits

Options
RunescapeChic
RunescapeChic Posts: 27 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
I have been a member of this group for years, though not active.

In 2013 I wanted to lose weight, for all the wrong reasons, and lost 124 lbs in about 9 months. During that time I allowed people close to me dictate/sabotage my efforts. I have grown to realize that it was purely due to their lack of self-esteem, confidence, insecurities and selfish needs that fueled their desire.

So, here am I, again... nearly back up to the highest weight I have ever been. My, now husband, same person who decided my desire to get fit and healthy wasn't good for him, wants nothing to do with me because of my weight gain. It's quite ironic. Although he doesn't see it the same way I do...

So, with little support from anyone close to me, I am wanting to get healthy and fit. Not for him, not this time. I want to do it for me. I want to be healthy for my kids. I want to be happy. I want to feel the energy and desire to workout that I did before. But, It's so hard!

Before it seemed like it was so easy to change my bad habits but now I am really struggling. I know I am 1 step in the right direction by cutting out sugar. But there's so many to change...

Eating out, daily
Diet Dr Pepper -120 ounces or so a day
Smoking, which will be easier than the others.
Exercising, again easier than the first two.

Not to mention cutting out a drastic amount of carbs.

I think it just comes down to routine...

In the morning I literally get up, get dressed and leave. I stop and Kum N Go every morning for a 44oz Dt Dr Pepper and 3 breakfast tornados. Lunch, always some form of fast food since I have an hour break. Then dinner is prepared for everyone and deviating from what everyone else is eating is frowned upon.

I am the type that can easily skip dinner. Breakfast and lunch are a must though. I say that but if I skipped dinner my husband would make some snarky remark about being too good to eat with the family.

Ughhhh I dont know what to do. I wish I had some support. I wish my husband was more supportive than cynical.

What are some easy quick go to meals that people rely on short time?

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I love eggs muffins! You can bake up a couple of batches and freeze just pop then in microwave in the morning, heat and go. You can add cheese, bacon, low carb veggies to them,I love them. I understand when you don't have a supportive partner, my hubby can eat anything and not gain an ounce. he's got perfect blood sugar and blood pressure. And here I am with diabetes and high blood pressure. you know what motivates me? my 600lb life I know I'm not close to that weight but when I see them after their surgeries learning how to eat healthy again, I say if they can do it, so can i! You can do it!'.Wish you the best of luck!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It can be challenging to find nutritionists, doctors, etc., who are knowledgeable and supportive of ketogenic diets, but they're out there, and having good pros in your corner can be a real blessing.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You are correct! It just comes down to routine.
    First, welcome back. There are a lot of very supportive folks on these threads, so I encourage you to come and post and log your foods. I received a tremendous amount of feedback and encouragement from this group and making this part of my new routine has helped.

The hardest part is making a new routine. I took about 3 months of solid awareness and being mindful of changing what my habits were to creating new healthier habits. Then it has become easier and easier. The first place I started was at the grocery store. Buying healthy meats and veggies and planning out my meals for each day was the biggest hurdle, but the most rewarding. It helped me stop the drive-thru habit. I also don't recommend skipping dinner in the beginning, it lead to binging late-night. I started with 3 planned meals, that included lots of protein and fats and a snack, usually berries and cream for my bedtime treat.

Egg muffins are a great suggestion for breakfast on the go. Things that you can make on Sunday night and freeze for the week will help to retrain your habits. I pre-cook hamburger 'something' and make 5 portions in storage containers to bring for my lunches for the week. Dinner is meat and veggie. Pork loin, grilled steak, hamburg, pot roast, lamb, chicken, with either Brussels sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, any lower carb veggie works.

More importantly, love yourself and do this for you!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    My husband is snarky, sarcastic, and hypercritical.
    I started this WOE in that environment. He will eat his chips and ice cream and other carby things. In my face. And I was told point blank "Just because you can't have this stuff doesn't mean you have the right to keep any of the rest of us from having it." Even when I hadn't even made a single comment about how he or anyone else ate. So I made my own breakfast and lunch after making everyone else's. And I made suppers that were low-carb with a carby side. Or separated out my portion of meat and veggies before the carbiness was added. I just did me. About 6mo in, hubby started eating a little bit more like me and lost some weight. But he still eats his junk. And the kids occasionally eat junk, though I have placed limits and rules that have improved their diet. But he has seen my progress and he mostly leaves his critical comments to himself, because he is happy with me now. He is proud of me and actually said so more than once.

So maybe your SO will come around. In the meantime, do you, day in and day out. I'm not going to lie and say that practically making a separate meal for yourself sometimes isn't a PITA, because it is. But it's worth it. Like I mentioned above, most of the time, I just make a low-carb meal and add a carby side to add. No complaints from the critical spouse as long as it is tasty. :+1: Of course, when I add fat/grease to my veggies I still, after 2 years, get incredulous looks. I just laugh. Once he said, as I scooped a tbsp of bacon grease out of a jar, "Please tell me you are NOT putting that in your food. Oh God, you are. That is messed up." I LMFAO over that one. I told him it was delicious and he should try it. I don't think he is going to. :lol:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    My husband is snarky, sarcastic, and hypercritical.
    I started this WOE in that environment. He will eat his chips and ice cream and other carby things. In my face. And I was told point blank "Just because you can't have this stuff doesn't mean you have the right to keep any of the rest of us from having it." Even when I hadn't even made a single comment about how he or anyone else ate. So I made my own breakfast and lunch after making everyone else's. And I made suppers that were low-carb with a carby side. Or separated out my portion of meat and veggies before the carbiness was added. I just did me. About 6mo in, hubby started eating a little bit more like me and lost some weight. But he still eats his junk. And the kids occasionally eat junk, though I have placed limits and rules that have improved their diet. But he has seen my progress and he mostly leaves his critical comments to himself, because he is happy with me now. He is proud of me and actually said so more than once.

So maybe your SO will come around. In the meantime, do you, day in and day out. I'm not going to lie and say that practically making a separate meal for yourself sometimes isn't a PITA, because it is. But it's worth it. Like I mentioned above, most of the time, I just make a low-carb meal and add a carby side to add. No complaints from the critical spouse as long as it is tasty. :+1: Of course, when I add fat/grease to my veggies I still, after 2 years, get incredulous looks. I just laugh. Once he said, as I scooped a tbsp of bacon grease out of a jar, "Please tell me you are NOT putting that in your food. Oh God, you are. That is messed up." I LMFAO over that one. I told him it was delicious and he should try it. I don't think he is going to. :lol:

I'm mostly the same boat as @baconslave... My guy not so lovingly calls this my "whacked out diet." He doesn't seem to understand the concept that this isn't a diet, a fluke, a short term fix, etc. He seems to think about it about like SlimFast, HydroxyCut, or Jenny Craig or some other program not exactly intended for life-long compliance. He doesn't understand that sometimes I make the choice to eat off plan to keep my sanity AND long term compliance. He says, "I don't understand why you eat crap and break your diet. Why bother to do it at all?" "Why should it affect me?" "I always swore I wouldn't live with someone who eats like a diabetic!" "Your whacked out diet is affecting my ability to enjoy my foods." "Eating something else at dinner is ridiculous." "Now you're torturing yourself through fasting." And so many other comments, plus the ever famous, "Damn, woman, just have some willpower. Ever heard of it?"

But lately, despite a lull in physically obvious progress, I sometimes get an, "I'm proud of you." or "It's your cooking, I'm losing weight" or something. They comments still aren't complimentary all the time, but it is progress...
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I love eggs muffins! You can bake up a couple of batches and freeze just pop then in microwave in the morning, heat and go. You can add cheese, bacon, low carb veggies to them,I love them. I understand when you don't have a supportive partner, my hubby can eat anything and not gain an ounce. he's got perfect blood sugar and blood pressure. And here I am with diabetes and high blood pressure. you know what motivates me? my 600lb life I know I'm not close to that weight but when I see them after their surgeries learning how to eat healthy again, I say if they can do it, so can i! You can do it!'.Wish you the best of luck!

I love that show! They inspire me!
  • falalaholly
    falalaholly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    let me start off with, i'm a single mom.. that being said..

I have recently quit smoking (i still do on the weekends but that is stopping this week actually.. anyway), its really hard and if you're not careful, you can gain more weight just from quitting because most people who smoke - have an oral fixation. it sucks, i know.. but just keep on track with logging on MFP - that's what helped me the most!

as for breakfast - i personally set my alarm clock 15 mins early and started taking showers at night time (mainly because i go to the gym after work...) so that leaves extra time to make breakfast & pack my lunches in the morning.

for lunch - every weekend i buy all my produce and such and cut, cook and package everything aka MEAL PREP.. that way i can literally just grab it out of the fridge, put it in my lunch box and run out the door.

for dinner - my boyfriend & son are not vegan like me.. they're not even close to vegetarians... they dont even really like veggies.... so for my son i am slowly incorporating more and more vegetarian like meals into his breakfast & dinner routines.. as for my boyfriend... if he doesnt want to eat what im cookin then he can either make his own food or go out and buy it himself. i do make him dinner if he buys the food for it though.. which i know, sounds a little harsh but.. again - im vegan - if im not eating it.. im not spending my hard earned cash on it.. especially meat (because its expensive!)

im sorry your husband doesnt understand and is cynical towards you and your actions.. he's probably just feeling like you're finally starting to become mentally independent.. he can no longer mentally control you and i've seen it before with my own sister... eventually he will come around if he truly loves you!

good luck and add me if you ever need to talk or have questions!