primal/Paleo diet fatigue

Options
Hi pals,
New to the group. I just feel like i'm needing some extra support. I've lost nearly 50 pounds eating a low carb, primal diet. lots of healthy fat, and i've been feeling SO great. All of the gut pain and itchy skin and misery i've had for years POOF, gone. But here's the thing, all of a sudden I find myself losing momentum. I've been drinking wine almost daily again and sugar has been creeping back into my life - two things that just make me feel yucky. I feel like this year has been transformative, but also EXHAUSTING as i've thought carefully over each bite i've put in my mouth. I just feel like i need some support, and maybe some new friends who understand the way I eat and can give me solid help and support on a regular basis. I log religiously, and i'm a committed friend supporter...I just REALLY want to get back on track and lose this last 25 pounds and STAY committed to this lifestyle without the fatigue.
THANKS!
Callie

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Add me, I am in this (although I struggle with it!) for life due to intolerances and allergies! I am not perfect but who is?
  • auntneen
    auntneen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Add me as well. I am in that boat, for over three years. Every now and then sugar, dairy, and alcohol just creep back. Then comes a little organic popcorn or tortillas and the next thing you know I'm eating popcorn covered in "butter" at the theater and eating Mike and Ike's. I find I can handle a little alcohol once or twice a week but have to completely abstain from sweets in order to stay on track. The sugar is what really kills me, fatigue wise. Once I give in, even for a bite, I will get completely off track. I also have intolerances and always remain gf.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hang in there girl, I bet there is someone out there who can help you figure this out!
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm having issues kicking the booze :( I just started 2 weeks ago but also because of a suspected autoimmune disease (still looking to see which one) you can add me too if you'd like
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have fallen off the Primal wagon again myself and climbed back on lately. The sugar or chips would always derail me. This time, I have done a lot of reading about the effects of sugar on your body and have really bought into just how terrible processed foods of any kind and sugar are for me. This time, I was able to pass up donuts in the breakroom because I could actually visualize what the sugar would do to my body. You've had so much success feeling better so you might want to really concentrate on how bad you feel when you eat sugar and even if you don't feel it, what sugar is doing to your body when you aren't looking. As for wine, I just refuse to believe in life with out a glass of wine or 2 Friday and Sat night although I do try to stay away from it during the week. Love to be your friend. Good luck and don't give up!
  • qbnprncess
    qbnprncess Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Just keep at it! I recently had to reset my mentality back, and even went to the extreme of making sure i measure out everything on a scale that I am eating. and recording it. I have the last 12 lbs to lose and it is really critical to for me to stay within the calorie goal as well. Just this last week i dropped 6lbs, which is the most I have dropped in a while. My word of advice... you have to get you mind in the right place to get back on track. If im not fully committed I just maintain.
  • kmanrique321
    kmanrique321 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I know all about diet fatigue!! I've been doing the Paleo lifestyle for about 6 months & I'm sooo tired of having to cook! Staying away from grains, sugar, potatoes & dairy has really been so good for me, but keeping to whole fresh, unprocessed foods means cooking & I was never a fan. I've noticed my two demons (bread & sugar) are sneaking back into my meals & I definitely want to stay away from them. I've lost 110 lbs in the last year & I want to keep losing. I also don't want to lose the other benefits I've gained from going Paleo- I feel so much healthier, have more energy & don't have any nasty gastric issues!! (As much as I love yogurt & dairy, it did NOT love me!!) We need to stay strong, keep focused & remind ourselves why we chose this lifestyle to start with!! Good luck!!
  • stormytea
    stormytea Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am definitely in the same boat - I also lost 50 lbs eating paleo and have sort of fallen off lately. I am prepping food for this week and getting stricter. Feel free to add me!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think that part of making it a lifestyle is figuring out how to make it sustainable. So, if you go thru a phase where you cannot stand to cook or hate all the foods that you've been eating you need a fall back. Mine is rotisserie chicken from the grocer. I know it's not the best. I have one place that is organic chicken so that's my go to. But, still I know it has too much salt. Still, it is better than falling completely off. And, a chicken will get me and my family thru at least the next 24 hours. Maybe longer if I can make myself put the carcus in the pressure cooker for some bone broth.

Bags of prepped veggies (kale, salad greens, green beans, brussel sprouts) are a waste of money but help me when I'm lazy. Even if I do use the dressing in there (or cut it in half or whatever trick I use to make it better!) it's better than most alternatives that I can think of at that point

Although I normally stay away, this might be a place for a paleo treat

Breakfast can be a real problem for me. Then, I'll add back in oatmeal for a couple of weeks. Better than mcdonalds biscuit which is probably what's going to happen if I just go with it. Or greek yogurt. Then, I can go back to my usual leftovers or eggs or whey protein smoothie and I've got a better outlook

And, doesn't hurt to either go to the library and get some new cookbooks or splurge and buy one. Then, make yourself fix something compeltely new.
  • dk6boys
    dk6boys Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm having issues kicking the booze :( I just started 2 weeks ago but also because of a suspected autoimmune disease (still looking to see which one) you can add me too if you'd like

I here you there! My biggest struggle, and I think the hold up on my weight loss. How are you doing with it now?
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I think one of the above posters is right when she says sometimes instant bagged food is the way forwards in this situation. Those bagged, chopped veggies are twice the price but 3m in the mircowave and you are done!

My other suggestion is to either pull two weeks of primal recipes you know and love to eat and not log those two weeks (so you don't have to think about it), or go the other way and try and inspire yourself with some brand new exciting looking meals
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real. You are not alone. I read a great article from a "famous" paleo blogger who had a cook book, was speaking on paleo to groups and WAs dying from boredom. Lol it made me feel so much better that even she knew the struggle.

I eat mainly primal due to food intolerances. There are only 2 non primal approved food that don't give me massive problems, rice and oats . So guess what ? I stay 80:20 and allow myself some rice with my curry or some granola on my yogurt. I stay within my calorie goals logging - guess what ? It's so much easier! Even Robb Wolf in his book suggests 80:20 as an idea way of following the lifestyle and I think for good reason. I've been at this 6 years and went through years of being 100% and years feeling like a failure because I was eating rice or potatoes everyday . So I found a happy medium. The main thing for losing is CICO and for optimum health, not eating things that your body doesn't process well. Good luck!