How much sodium?

Options
StacyReneO
StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
What is everyone's intake of sodium. I set aside 3 tsp. the other day and was adding to my bone broth, lunch, dinner - and I still didn't make it thru the 3 tsp.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You should be aiming for 5000 MG of sodium minimum during adaption, due to the water/electrolyte dumping process that is keto adaption. After that, most people find a comfortable spot between 2000-4000 mg, depending on person and needs. For me, yesterday turned into an unplanned extended water fast, so my numbers were weird, but after breakfast and lunch, I was at 3,424 mg, give or take, based on estimates. Everyone has thresholds they feel better or "best" at... Find yours.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I sit around 3,500mg most days. If I'm working out, I intake 1,200 - 2,000mg more (with potassium) during the workout, because I sweat absolute buckets and feel like crud if I don't drink that extra bottle.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I (my body) seem(s) to require a minimum of 5000mg every day. To that end, I dissolve a couple of bouillon cubes in the appropriate amount of water and drink one cube twice a day.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    5000mg of sodium daily. Please understand, this amount of sodium is replacing what's being lost with the ketones excreted in the urine. This isn't just extra salt. My experience has been that I'm unable to eat enough, so I use salt tablets.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I take 6g a day in tablets, then another 2-3g in my food, especially on heavy workout days.
  • bartdorman
    bartdorman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 5g supplemented a day, then with what I eat I get another couple. If I know for a fact that I am going to be doing nothing that day, just sitting around and watching tv or taking it easy some how I may skip my supplement. I also take 3.5g worth of potassium with the sodium. I also take a magnesium supplement daily. I find that this works best for me. I am a runner so I do have days that I sweat a lot.