Starting again...

Options
Leanbean65
Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
I'm coming out of winter hibernation and have a few pounds to lose. LC has been the only thing that works for me without turning me into a starving maniac. My question is how do I go about logging my food on the diary? I don't want to count calories and when I'm eating LC the macros are out of whack with the recommendations. I'm also a bit hesitant about allowing myself too much fat. I'm a product of the low fat era and still have a hard time eating fat. Will staying lower fat hamper my efforts?

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    You can really tweak your diary to show what you want or not show like mine. ;)
    If you need help don't hesitate to ask.

>:) or o:)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I was in your camp with the low fat issues...plus I am a nurse who teaches the exact opposite of what it is we do here. I'm a full convert now. I love my high fat WOE and wish I could talk my family into it. It works and I'm healthier than ever. I started April 18th so still new but now live in the camp with those adding butter to coffee! Eat the fat; you'll be glad you did!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm on day 9. This isn't my first go at it, but I won't hesitate to throw a chunk of butter or coconut oil in my former cake hole and suck uponit like I used to do with frosting. It really helps. Sometimes I wash 'er down with salt water, it eases the flu like symptoms. Good luck! I wouldn't even attempt this woe without plentiful fat.

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The fat will really help with the starving maniac problem. You don't need to go full hog on fat at first, but adding HWC, coconut oil, butter to foods really helps with satiety. Don't fear the fat, it will be your friend if you are in it for the long haul. You get much more bang (energy, lack of cravings, mental clarity) for your calories with fats. I get much more mileage out of each meal and less inclined to go off program. Also, I was hesitant about sodium, but found that too is a necessity. What worked for me was to try one week without additional fats, If I found I was white-knuckles, the next week I added in a little more fat, like cooking vegs in coconut oil, added butter. The problem with 'fat-free' foods is that they often substitute sugars, which just end up creating more cravings. Even if you don't want a ton of fat, you can make small adjustments like remove skim milk or 1% milk and use heavy cream, you need less of it and it will keep you longer. I had to tweak, review, record my energy levels, hunger levels in a notebook, the following week review, tweak, try this -remove that. It was a process for me to come around to what worked and what doesn't.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I don't understand your question about the diary. If you have customized your macros to reflect your LC preferences, but don't want to worry about calories, then focus on hitting the macros and ignore the calories.

Regarding your fat aversion, please get yourself over that. Read "The Obesity Code" or "Why we get fat" to understand how the dietary guidelines were instituted by politicians and guided by food manufacturers. Americans are literally killing their bodies by eating low fat, and dying as obese people! If you eat low carb and low fat, you will fail. Find a fat you like (olives, rib eye, eggs, butter, HWC all top my list) and eat a lot of those...don't set yourself up for failure by clinging to dangerous and outdated recommendations.
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    Thanks for the great info, What is HWC? I'm trying the 2 week challenge from Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's program that I found on a link on the getting started page. Only day 2, but I did my normal workout at the gym with no problem. What about cheat meals? I'm such a carb/sugar addict that I'm afraid if I allow myself to cheat I won't be able to go back. I've also heard that the minute you eat carbs all the fat you are eating immediately gets stored as body fat :( Sounds unlikely but I'm not sure. I am a bit headachey and fatigued but I know that will pass.

Any encouragement is welcome.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As DAM5412 said, read "The Obesity Code". The decision that we should be eating more carbs and less fat was made by a politician, not a scientist. The increase in carbohydrates correlates with the increase in obesity, yet we insist on sticking to that module. In the book, he quotes several human only studies, all of them supporting a HF/LC diet, and shows how incorrect assumptions have been made with other studies done. I have always done better when I ate less carbs and more fat, but I veered away from that with eating and drinking throughout my 20s and am glad to be back on the wagon at 30. But the book helps you understand more of the science behind it so you can apply it to your way of eating.
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    I'm on day 3 and woke up a bit groggy and headachey. I'm taking a magnesium supplement today and will put salt on my eggs. Coffee is a must for me, I hope this won't effect my progress, what about aspartame? Can I use it in small amounts?
    I've also decided to keep this eating plan to myself, I'm a single mom so not really having to account to anyone else about how I'm eating. My only concern is getting negative comments from others as I know this is not a popular way to eat. I'm going to my parents for dinner this weekend. Probably a big BBQ. I know I can avoid the carb foods but my mom watches what I eat like a hawk, any ideas what to say if she comments?
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    OK, I just had 2 boiled eggs with salt and butter and 1/2 an avocado and I'm feeling better ( 2 coffees also)
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    HWC = Heavy Whipping Cream - it is amazing in coffee :smile:

Can you tell your mom a white lie, if you don't want to tell her about LCHF? (Something I totally understand - it has taken me a long time to get over what people think about how I'm eating). You could tell her your stomach has been upset and you are trying some sort of elimination diet maybe? Technically you are eliminating things :wink: Or maybe that your doctor suggested you try LCHF?

Good luck with the social situations! They can be the hardest things sometimes!
  • slimzandra
    Options
    I also recommend looking at Dr. Mark Hyman, just wrote another book, Eat Fat, Get Thin. He was on PBS last night.
    He also has some videos on Youtube. You can read a brief summary of his conclusions here:
    http://ecowatch.com/2016/01/02/mark-hyman-eat-fat-get-thin/

Sounds like you are on the right path with mag supplements, eggs, avocado. I'm not a fan of aspartame or other sugar substitutes, just use HWC.

If mom comments, just say I'm eating healthier, getting rid of junk food and reducing my carbohydrate and sugar intake, increasing my proteins and buying real fresh produce, dairy and meats. When the pounds start dropping off, she's more than likely going to ask you "Wow, what are you doing? you look great!" I limit my discussions with others about food and JUST DO.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Load up on veggies (stay away from corn, though). How could your mom judge that? Yes, they have more carbs than meat, but much of that is fiber, so that's not a bad thing. My body building friend said don't worry about veggies so long as you're mostly eating green leafy, non starchy veggies. Also, you can make yourself a bulletproof coffee to start your day with some fat (I made it for the first time yesterday, it's got an interesting flavor, but once you get over the fact that your coffee is oily, it's tasty!)
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice. I'm feeling quite wozzy and shakey right now, I'm at work and don't have time for a break until noon. I don't feel hungery just kinda out of it? Any suggestions?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Leanbean65 wrote: »
    Thanks for the great advice. I'm feeling quite wozzy and shakey right now, I'm at work and don't have time for a break until noon. I don't feel hungery just kinda out of it? Any suggestions?

@Leanbean65 SALT!!! Someone can link you to the post of why. Pickles. Broth. Or if desperate, like salt out of your palm.
  • slimzandra
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Eat the other half of your avocado with salt. Drink some water.

I'd also suggest to go easy on the coffee, I had more sensitivity of caffeine at first and it also acts as a diuretic, so you need more water. If you have any herbal teas you should explore those - teas that are caffeine free and add Heavy cream or I have a bottle of MCT oil in my office. I add that to my tea, it helps with the mental clarity.
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    OK, thanks, what is MCT? I'll see if I can go out quickly, there is a coffee shop right below my office that serves broth.... the mental lag I'm feeling is also from this?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    MCT is a refined form of coconut oil (sometimes palm oil, etc.). You can get it in some grocers, health food stores, and online. I can give you a mental boost but start slowly. It can cause bathroom issues.

As for the coffee, if you are not drinking a cup of water in between each cup, at this stage and with how you're feeling, you're getting dehydrated. Period.

Salt. Water. Then coffee, maybe, with more salt and water. Make sure you look into the post on magnesium and other electrolytes.
  • slimzandra
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Here's a link that talks about dehydration and the need for salt. Broth will work.

https://authoritynutrition.com/5-most-common-low-carb-mistakes/
    4. Not Replenishing Sodium

One of the main mechanisms behind low-carb diets is a reduction in insulin levels.

Insulin has many functions in the body, such as telling fat cells to store fat.

But another thing that insulin does is to tell the kidneys to hold on to sodium.

On a low-carb diet, your insulin levels go down and your body starts shedding excess sodium and water along with it. This is why people often get rid of excess bloat within a few days of low-carb eating.

However, sodium is a crucial electrolyte in the body and this can become problematic when the kidneys dump too much of it.

This is one of the main reasons people get side effects on low-carb diets… such as lightheadedness, fatigue, headaches and even constipation.

The best way to circumvent this issue is to add more sodium to your diet. You can do this by adding more salt to your foods, but if that doesn’t suffice then you can drink a cup of broth every day.

I personally like adding a bouillon cube into a cup of hot water, then drinking it like a soup in a cup. It actually tastes really good and supplies 2 grams of sodium.

Bottom Line: Low-carb diets lower insulin levels, which makes the kidneys excrete excess sodium from the body. This can lead to a mild sodium deficiency

Yea, @KnitOrMiss is correct - ditto start slowly, I made that mistake.
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    OK, Thanks, I'll go for the broth!
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    This may be TMI but I'm going the washroom a ton too, feels like Niagara falls!