New and Nervous

Options
Kbuhl64
Kbuhl64 Posts: 3 Member
I am starting Saxenda on Saturday, any advice? I am 52, about 70 pounds overweight, and very nervous about taking this medication

Replies

• ChrissyB4848
    ChrissyB4848 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think this medication is great! I have been on it for just over a month and I am down 20lbs. I am extremely hopeful about this medication. My bloodwork was done over a week ago and everything is fine. What are you nervous about? I had a bit of nausea at first, and I can sometimes be tired. That said, I have two children under 4 and I go to bed at midnight and get up at 630, so I have other reasons for being tired. Any single side effect I have had is nowhere near as awful as being overweight, for me.
  • Kbuhl64
    Kbuhl64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is impressive results! I am really worried about the side effects! I don't want to fix one issue and create another. There is so little literature other than the side effects to help guide a person! What do you eat in a typical day? Do you have to go up on the dosage every week?
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options
    I did increase my dose every week. Now, I am at at highest dose. I don't eat too much, but I never feel hunger the way that I used to. I ate well beforehand, now I just eat much, much, less. I never did crave sweets. I've had 2 chips, literally 2, since I started. I've had much smaller portions on or in smaller dishes. I snack on carrots or nuts an I drink half my body weight in water. I also just started working out on my Elliptical.
  • stamac79
    stamac79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did increase my dose every week. Now, I am at at highest dose. I don't eat too much, but I never feel hunger the way that I used to. I ate well beforehand, now I just eat much, much, less. I never did crave sweets. I've had 2 chips, literally 2, since I started. I've had much smaller portions on or in smaller dishes. I snack on carrots or nuts an I drink half my body weight in water. I also just started working out on my Elliptical.

I think my problem with not losing the past couple weeks has been not watching my calorie intake, not enough protein, water and exercise. This week I started tracking calories through MFP, with adjusting my macros and have made a commitment to workout at home and with a group at a bootcamp. Fingers crossed i shake this. I want to start losing again!
  • KC5115
    KC5115 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am new too, just started today. Everyone seems to have positive things to say except some side effects at first.
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options
    stamac79 wrote: »

I think my problem with not losing the past couple weeks has been not watching my calorie intake, not enough protein, water and exercise. This week I started tracking calories through MFP, with adjusting my macros and have made a commitment to workout at home and with a group at a bootcamp. Fingers crossed i shake this. I want to start losing again!

Great! Good for you! I'm a stickler on here for tracking. I track all of my calories. I feel better seeing it. What's great able lower calories all week is that if I do eat more one day, I really don't have to worry about it!
  • KC5115
    Options
    I am on my third day. Haven't really eaten that much. Which I know is the point but I am only able to nibble at stuff.
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options
    2 months later, I'm still just nibbling at stuff. For me, it's liberating. I hope you are feeling good about it!
  • KC5115
    Options
    Today I bumped up from my first week on .6 to the next section. I weighed myself and I haven't lost anything yet. I was really shocked and kinda disappointed.
  • KC5115
    Options
    Update, I have lost 4 pounds now. My body was holding onto it I guess.
  • neliapedro
    neliapedro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started 2 days ago and I want to hold off on increasing the dose as much as I can. I am at .03 and hope to keep it like this for a little while. I am also really careful about what I am eating. Will see what happens.
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options
    KC5115 wrote: »
    Update, I have lost 4 pounds now. My body was holding onto it I guess.

That's great news! Just keep sticking with it. Though, it's an amazing tool, it isn't magic. I have lost 33lbs since February and I am just learning to cut myself and the drug some slack. I was between 194-195 for a full week. Up until that plateau I had been consistently losing everyday 0.2, 0.3, you get the idea. Now I've been at 193 for two days in a row. I just have to remember to be grateful that the struggle is happening under 200 and that I am still losing even if it is slowing. It can be frustrating, of course.. The one thing I know I can't do is cut my calories more than I already have. The nicer weather already has me outside with my kids two days in a row, so, I am still hopeful.
    neliapedro wrote: »
    Just started 2 days ago and I want to hold off on increasing the dose as much as I can. I am at .03 and hope to keep it like this for a little while. I am also really careful about what I am eating. Will see what happens.

Are you feeling sick? Is that why you are nervous? Some people don't feel as sick as the dose increases. Did your Dr tell you to take it slowly?
  • KC5115
    Options
    Wow, Chrissy! 33 pounds is amazing. I have lost 6 now. The 30th will be a month of me on the medicine. Not bad I don't think. 2 pounds a week is pretty steady loss.

I'm up to my 2.4 dose as of Wednesday. I never got sick until I got to the 1.8 dose. I threw up quite a bit on that level and I tried drinking and it made me sick from that too.
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options
    KC5115 wrote: »
    Wow, Chrissy! 33 pounds is amazing. I have lost 6 now. The 30th will be a month of me on the medicine. Not bad I don't think. 2 pounds a week is pretty steady loss.

I'm up to my 2.4 dose as of Wednesday. I never got sick until I got to the 1.8 dose. I threw up quite a bit on that level and I tried drinking and it made me sick from that too.

2lbs a week is fantastic! At the Doctor, I have lost 40lbs. At home I'm at 38lbs. Are you still feeling sick? That is terrible. It doesn't bother me at all anymore. I barely notice I'm on it, you know, until I give myself a needle lol.
  • de7inhim
    de7inhim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started May 2 down 7.2 pounds. No hunger at all. Anyone get back pain, kidney region lower right. Woke me last pm. And all day. Aleve has helped but can't work due to pain.
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had serious pain in the beginning and had to get checked out. The labelled side effects had me convinced I had screwed up my life by taking this. Turns out that I need Pantaloc - it was giving me an ulcer. And Alive only contributes to it because I was taking it too!!!! So don't panic like I did, but get it checked out.
  • jsharpnack
    jsharpnack Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Third day on 1.8..... Bruising a bit at injection site. How long does it take to titration to 3.0. Tired during the day. I take it in the morning. How soon dis everyone see weight loss after starting?
  • WxGirLiz
    WxGirLiz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm also at 1.8...I'm stepping up .6 per week.
  • deannadalziel827
    deannadalziel827 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! Seems to be a lot of positive reactions to this medication! Besides the nausea! I just started last night! Not feeling so hot today but that's probably because I have not eaten very much ;p I hope to see the same loss as the rest of you! Can not wait to weigh myself next Friday!! Hopefully I will be down atleast a couple of pounds!
  • QuueneBee2
    QuueneBee2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yikes!!!
    I start today