Why am I afraid of fruit?

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've been eating LCHF for probably about four years now and I aim to eat as many carbs as I can and still get the benefits of low carb. For me, as long as I don't go too much over 50g of carbs too often and I dip into ketosis at least occasionally I'm good to go. The source of the carbs really doesn't matter - fruit, flour, beans, table sugar - it's all the same (again, for me).

You have to enjoy and feel good about the foods you're eating to sustain a diet - that's so important and often glossed over I think. I'd eat the apple and see how you make out. :)
  • jetsamflotsam
    jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Whoa... looking at that chart, I'm very glad I picked all the mango off my salad when I ate out today! I had some berries last week, but honestly it wasn't worth the carbs for the tiny amount I had. Mostly I get a lot more satisfaction from the carbs in cheese, nuts, and non-starchy veg... Today it's hot and humid, so I'm having a single fruit sweetened popsicle... It's 11 carbs... I looked at the artificially sweetened ones and they were 10 carbs, so I decided for the difference of saving 1 g of carbs, I'd rather have the real fruit.
  • macsmom07
    macsmom07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to count the carbs for the apple (honey crisp) and see how it goes. I guess I need to determine how my body reacts to it then go from there.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I take a trip to an apple farm every fall with my kids and friends and I decided that last fall, I would have an apple but I would choose a small one (more skin) and it would be a tart one. I chose one that was marked as a baking apple and very tart. The lady thought I was crazy for choosing that one to eat. It tasted very sweet to me! I was walking around the farm for a while after that and it didn't give me any issues with increased hunger or anything. I literally haven't had one since the though because I honestly would prefer berries over an apple anyway.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    macsmom07 wrote: »
    Can you explain to me that an apple is ok? (Or maybe not?)

It's an apple, it's Ok. If you want a sustainable way of eating for the long-run, then it has to be something you can stick to. Work the apple into your meal plan, and see if it impacts you. If it works, and keeps you compliant with everything, the stay with it. If it knocks you out of ketosis and makes you feel terrible, then you won't want to keep it in your plan!

I eat an apple most days at bedtime, along with a cheese stick. I find it works well for me. There are nutrients in the apple skin that are beneficial, too. And it's an apple. It's not a dozen sweet rolls.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Easy to compare

l2trast9dui2.jpg

>:) or o:)

What the heck is a "sugar apple"?

Also, whats:

pomerac?
    rambutan?
    sapodilla?

Where did you get this chart, from some exotic island in the pacific? I've been shoping in grocery stores for 40+ years, never seen those before. And I love new things. I saw the passion fruit when I was in China, but didn't care for it.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Yep, people differ. A single glass of wine in the evening might be fine for most folks, but it might not be that far removed from a fifth of gin for others.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    From the cartoony picture, it kind of looks like this:

lcrcx0zlgds1.jpg

I put that on facebook a couple of years ago after a mystifying nature walk and found out it was a "hedge apple", "horse apple," or "osage orange."
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    lv8t3oidb4w8.jpg

Sugar-apple is the fruit of Annona squamosa, the most widely grown species of Annona and a native of the tropical Americas and West Indies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    w3odg60gd21b.jpg

Pomerac are fruits that are about 5 cm long with a whitish-green color, but color variations exist including red skinned fruits. The skin is thin and waxy.

tz87p56utyty.jpg

The rambutan is a medium-sized tropical tree in the family Sapindaceae. The name also refers to the fruit produced by this tree. The rambutan is native to Malay-Indonesian region, and other regions of tropical Southeast Asia.

xdpro6mw16nq.jpg

Manilkara zapota, commonly known as the sapodilla, is a long-lived, evergreen tree native to southern Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    From the cartoony picture, it kind of looks like this:

lcrcx0zlgds1.jpg

I put that on facebook a couple of years ago after a mystifying nature walk and found out it was a "hedge apple", "horse apple," or "osage orange."

No, a hedge apple is not the same as a sugar apple. I live in southern IA where there a lot of hedge apples - nobody wants them and everyone who has them is always trying to get rid of them. People will bring bags full into work and hand them out. Some suckers will take them because they think they can put them around their foundation and keep insects out. I don't know anyone who has ever eaten one.

Here is some interesting information on them: http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/10-10-1997/hedgeapple.html
  • midcitycat
    midcitycat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just learned that the 1 large banana in my AM green smoothie is self-sabotage... will be using only 1/2 a banana until the last couple are gone and then not buying again. Darn it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    midcitycat wrote: »
    Just learned that the 1 large banana in my AM green smoothie is self-sabotage... will be using only 1/2 a banana until the last couple are gone and then not buying again. Darn it!

@Midcitycat - you can actually cut them into quarters or whatever size, freeze them, then use them slower if you want.
  • midcitycat
    midcitycat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    midcitycat wrote: »

@Midcitycat - you can actually cut them into quarters or whatever size, freeze them, then use them slower if you want.

Good idea - thank you! Would not want them to go to waste.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad how high in carbs rambutan is. I grew up eating that stuff and I would always beg my mom to buy some, as they were expensive.

It took me years to learn what they were really called - I grew up calling them 'hairy fruit'.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    petunia773 wrote: »
    Apples are one of the worst fruits for me, personally, as I always feel hungrier after eating them, and if you keep the portion size reasonable (I think I've been told that 1/4-1/2 apple is doable on higher carb limit form of LCHFMP (not low carb low fat - I'm hoping that's a typo!!), you might be able to do it.

Personally, I aim for lower sugar fruits, and stay away from ones with fructose at all....

http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

The main reasons that I personally am somewhat scared of fruits is that my body doesn't process a banana any differently than it would a candy bar, and for me, these have to remain a rare treat (aside from berries), as any real dessert should be... It becomes a slippery slope for me of cravings and sugars and all that mess...

So, you may be able to eat apples, but you may not. Personally, I'd say at the lower carb end of that spectrum.

I agree! I found when I did eat apples when I was just counting calories and not watching carbs, apples definitely made me hungrier for whatever reason and I'm not diabetic or insulin sensitive that I know of...never been diagnosed with any of that.

Apples contain enzymes that will aid in digestion. That's probably why you feel hungry after eating one. I used to eat them if I was REALLY full right before bedtime, because they will help you break down foods in a hurry.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    When I eat fruit at all (besides savory ones, but most people aren't talking about savory fruit when they say "fruit") it's in the evening and paired with a good amount of fat - berries with heavy cream or half and half, apples (a small one, preferably tart) with either cheese or peanut butter. I find if I go to bed shortly after, and increase in appetite is not noticed, but if I eat those types of things in the morning, I'm hungrier all day long. But, yes, you can have fruit, even sweet fruit. Pair it with something, watch the timing, and keep the portion small.
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have noticed when I have days with fruit in, I tend to feel hungrier by the evening than days where I am mainly carnivorous - so I am going to make sure I limit any fruit (including berries) to an occasional treat
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    http://www.lowcarbsosimple.com/guest-post-strawberry-cheesecake-fat-bombs/

Easy thing for me is 1 block cream cheese, 1 stick butter, both at room temp, splash vanilla, puree strawberries, sweeten to taste.

I made these using the recipe from @KnitOrMiss and just had one. It will take a team of wild horses to keep me from having another. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Hint: I don't have a silicone ice cube tray so I used the bottom of a Styrofoam egg carton (18 egg size) and it worked perfectly.

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you want to take the natural sugar carbs out of any fruit, do this:

Buy or make Kombucha
    Add fruit to it, dice up into small pieces (size of a penny or less)
    add a small amount of cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon)
    Let it ferment for 2-3 days
    drink the kombucha, eat the apples

The bacteria in the Kombucha will eat the natural sugars out of it. The longer you let it ferment, the less sweet they are. A week will make it tart. Still tastes good. It actually makes the fruit "fizzy" because the fermentation process makes carbon dioxide gas (carbonation). I ate an apple done this way today.

Warning, it may form a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria & yeast) on the drink, just take a fork and sift/scoop it out. You can eat the SCOBY, but the texture is slimy.

I've done pineapple, honey crisp apples, strawberries, and other fruits this way.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program

jly8df3ad259.gif