I'm back and starting over

Options
PaleoPath4Lyfe
PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
Good morning all.

It has been a long while since I have posted anything on this site. I have been battling my health and have recently gotten diagnosed and was told to go back to a lowish carb lifestyle and to ditch the grains and sugar by my Doctor.

Watching carbs with my host of health issues should help in several ways........

Anyone else with any of the following that could tell me how eating this way helps you out. I know this works for health and well being; I just have not been motivated to spend the time required to eat better; shame on me.

I have PCOS, T2 Diabetes, Thyroid issues, Fibromyalgia and recently diagnosed with both Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Thanks for listening to my whine this morning. I am going through a range of emotions currently and just needed to get it off my chest.

Replies

• karenenriquez1225
    karenenriquez1225 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good Morning~

I do not have any of the above mentioned conditions and I'm pretty new to Primal, myself. I just wanted to say welcome back.
    BTW, no shame on you. You're human and fallible. The important thing is you are here now! :smiley:
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Welcome-- I have a couple autoimmune conditions too, Myasthenia Gravis and Neuromyotonia. Just underwent Rituximab infusions for the first time, keep your fingers crossed for me! I'm also on high-dose steroids and several other meds, so I get what you're going through with all of it!

I did the Autoimmune Protocol diet initially, and now follow more of a low-carb primal diet (minus the trigger foods identified by the AIP)

I've had to develop all kinds of energy-saving cooking techniques, as well as figuring out how to manage the chewing and swallowing problems caused by MG flares. I'm happy to help if you want someone to troubleshoot or offer some help.

There's a group for Fitness and Autoimmunity you might want to join. It's not the most active group, but the people in it are generally supportive friends.

And no shame. You're dealing with some major issues. Kuddos to you for reaching out for support and for taking steps in the right direction. Give yourself credit of all you do to manage your health-- it sure sounds like it hasn't been easy!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I'm also T2 diabetic, and for me Primal is the only way I keep my BG levels in check. Welcome back to the right way of eating, you're on your way to better health!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, gastritis, IBS, TMJ, headaches and a meningioma brain tumour. I was paleo for year and it really helped. Just lately my diet has been terrible and my fibromyalgia is the worst it has ever been. I was previously a half marathon runner and lifted weights regularly now all I do is walk my dog and do my dance classes and their a struggle. Starting back on primal initially then going paleo. Add me if you want anyone I could use the support.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Back after being sloppy for too long and now paying for it in terms of unwell feeling and lack of energy. Have managed two whole days of primal eating so far... Working on day 3.

It's doable. Hang in there.
  • BoltzDaMeek
    BoltzDaMeek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have Myasthenia Gravis and I'm trying to lose 40 pounds. Feel free to add me. I'm new at this app
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm posting in this thread because I too am back and starting over.

I've been on MFP for 9 weeks and I'm happy to say I felt empowered to experiment with my foods, adding in yogurt, grains, legumes and even processed cheese. Counting CI/CO works! But it's harder with these foods in my diet, as they are easy for me to overeat. Most importantly, I don't feel WELL like I did eating primal, after I finished my Whole30s of last year.

So I'm recommitting here.

I'm tossing the grains, legumes, processed cheeses, and yogurt (I'll miss the yogurt but I think it makes me feel less well!). This will help me stick to my no-added-sugar ideals too.

Anyone else want to re-commit? I want to see PROGRESS with my body recomposition and losing these last 11 lbs, and I want to feel well again.
  • zakgirl58
    zakgirl58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Back on the wagon again. Had some gout issues recently and some unknown joint pain. Hoping to get it all under control.
  • gidjinswife
    gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, PaleoPath4Lyfe. It took me quite awhile to really commit to paleo, even after I knew it would be what's best for me. I have Graves' Disease (hyperthyroid) and was able to keep my symptoms at bay for a year eating autoimmune protocol (AIP) on my own. This will help. Paleo is an excellent step in the right direction and may even be all you need. I ended up needing to see a functional medicine doctor to help me with supplements and specifics to work on healing, but that's not always necessary. I was starting to develop some joint pain also and took out all nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and that went away. I still need to experiment with adding the others back in but I know for a fact that potatoes will cause me joint pain. It may be something to try if just paleo isn't helping you with your RA pain. I know many people have problems with nightshades, and you don't need to remove them forever, remove them for about a month and then add them back in, one at a time and see which ones, if any, trigger pain.

I'm jumping back on too. But I'm also 14 weeks pregnant! I went off a bit during first trimester, but I know AIP+known reintroductions is what's best for me and baby and now that I can tolerate more food again I need to work at making sure I'm eating enough and enough of the right things, which is why I joined MFP.

Good luck to all of us who are recommitting. Today is Day 1 of 100% AIP+ and tracking my food. :)
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was diagnosed with lupus... Did AIP before and while pregnant but was eating lots of cauliflower and broccoli...when baby was born he had lots of gas and my doctor told me to try changing my diet since I was BFing. Ever since then, 2.5 years ago, I have not gotten back to long term paleo because for some reason taking my staple veggies and spices out of my diet unravelled everything for me. i just re-started a week ago. Good luck. I know eating paleo helps me... I notice less joint issues although I have very mild lupus...could be that the weight loss is what helped more so than the food choices, but this is the only lifestyle that has ever worked for me to lose weight because staying away from grains and sugar reduces my cravings, and I also feel more satisfied \full.