Acid Reflux

Options
Cryren8972
Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
Hi all!
I'm on day 6, and I've lost 7 lbs! (whoop whoop)
However, my acid reflux has gone into overdrive.
I had it under control eating "clean", but I couldn't lose weight.
So my question is....
Did any of you have this issue starting out, and did it get better?
Should I be doing something different?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I believe some people have this problem in the beginning when increasing fat intake. I don't know if it stabilizes or not. But I have other acid related issues and I've been taking a tablespoon of acv in a glass of water each day and it seems to be working. I had been taking omeprazole 40mg daily and haven't taken any in about a month. If you want to go that route to see if it helps, get Braggs or Spectrum, they will have a cloudiness to them and those particles contain enzymes that are helpful. Last week I picked up a small bottle of regular acv because it was all the store had and I was out, first off its disgusting, and secondly it doesn't seem to help as much, though it does still help.
  • 1Kristana
    1Kristana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem as well at the beginning. It did clear up as I became adapted, occasionally I need Tagament or something OTC, but it's mostly gone.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    I believe some people have this problem in the beginning when increasing fat intake. I don't know if it stabilizes or not. But I have other acid related issues and I've been taking a tablespoon of acv in a glass of water each day and it seems to be working. I had been taking omeprazole 40mg daily and haven't taken any in about a month. If you want to go that route to see if it helps, get Braggs or Spectrum, they will have a cloudiness to them and those particles contain enzymes that are helpful. Last week I picked up a small bottle of regular acv because it was all the store had and I was out, first off its disgusting, and secondly it doesn't seem to help as much, though it does still help.

Unfortunately, I'm very familiar with ACV and acid reflux, I used to practically drink the stuff. That's why I'm a little concerned. I Googled low carb and acid reflux, and it actually seems to be curing some people. So fingers crossed that it goes away.
    Thank you for your response. =)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The medical wisdom, with regards to acid reflux, is backwards, for many. It's been believed that reflux is caused by having too much acid in the stomach, and is treated with poison err, medication that's supposed to treat it! There is research out there that shows the opposite to be true instead. That it's actually a lack of acid that causes it! When pH levels are higher the lower esophageal sphincter relaxes, which allows any stomach contents to reflux into the throat, creating heartburn. When the pH is lowered the sphincter functions properly, thereby keeping the acid/contents in the stomach. This is where the acv comes in to play. Mixing a couple of tbsp in a glass of water, and drinking it, will ease the heartburn!

All of the medications used for GERD only raise the pH by reducing the amount of acid produced, which continues to reflux issues and need for more medications to try to control symptoms!

I had been on these poisons for far too long, yet continued to have the problems! I even developed a peptic ulcer while on the medications that should have prevented them! Now that I use the acv instead I've been able to eliminate those poisons from my life!

Seriously, read the side effects they are seeing from medicines like Prilosec, Protonix, Prevacid, and Nexium! They are now proven to cause memory loss, and the chance of a heart attack increases by 22%! Also, chronic kidney disease can be attributed to the use of them! The pharmaceutical companies say that as long as they are taken according to the label the chance of serious side effects is decreased. Thing is, the label says to take them for up to eight weeks, and in my case I had been on them for twenty five years!!

We have serious health care issues when it comes to the medication recommendations! Pharmaceutical companies don't want to FIX anything! They only want treatment that leads to the need for more treatments (read medications)!

Some trying LCHF will have these issues, but they are usually short lived, and go away once adapted. Using the acv will alleviate symptoms in the meantime.

Also, look up the use of "cabbage juice" for gut health! You will find lots of information about this!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Sorry about the lines through everything above! Serious typo!! Too much for me to fix! Sorry!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Digestive enzyme supplements with meals might be helpful too
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm on a ppi and have been for 2 years (hernia and hole) mine has gotten alot better. Still on meds but normally it's still much worse. Another month and I am looking at trying to slowly decrease it.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I keep thinking about this thread because my heartburn has been in high gear lately. One thing I remembered from when I first went very low carb, was a sour acidic feeling in my belly, I remember posting on here about it and most didn't have that issue but someone recommended drinking some pickle juice so I did and it took it away immediately.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking about this thread because my heartburn has been in high gear lately. One thing I remembered from when I first went very low carb, was a sour acidic feeling in my belly, I remember posting on here about it and most didn't have that issue but someone recommended drinking some pickle juice so I did and it took it away immediately.

Karlottap wrote: »
    The medical wisdom, with regards to acid reflux, is backwards, for many. It's been believed that reflux is caused by having too much acid in the stomach, and is treated with poison err, medication that's supposed to treat it! There is research out there that shows the opposite to be true instead. That it's actually a lack of acid that causes it! When pH levels are higher the lower esophageal sphincter relaxes, which allows any stomach contents to reflux into the throat, creating heartburn. When the pH is lowered the sphincter functions properly, thereby keeping the acid/contents in the stomach. This is where the acv comes in to play. Mixing a couple of tbsp in a glass of water, and drinking it, will ease the heartburn!

It sure sounds counterintuitive to add acidic content to treat GERD, after all we've heard on commercials over the decades about antacids, "sour stomach" and the like, but there you have it.

And since some elevation in GERD may due to increased BMI, it would seem to reason that reducing BMI through weight loss and ketosis may be responsible for some of the improvement many of us have noticed over the course of the first few months of LCHF.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2710497/

8558289578_bab3f2acc3_z.jpg
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I developed GERD after VSG surgery. The doc prescribed pantoprazole. I took it every day, sometimes twice a day for a while, but my lab values went wonky, some result that can happen with VSG patients on pantoprazole. Apparently it makes it difficult to absorb calcium, so you start leaching from the bones and that can give you weird results in some more obscure blood chemistry that makes it look like you might have an adrenal tumor.

Long-winded way to say - Since VSG, I can't eat grains. I mean...they look good to me. I used to eat them, but the moment I swallow a bite, it doesn't 'set' well. I also noticed the GERD got worse when I ate grains. So I cut them out, although sometimes I'd give in because it looked so good, and I'd regret that. I take the pantoprazole when I need to, like when I can tell I'm going to end up with stomach acid shooting out my nose while I sleep if I don't. Otherwise, I find staying away from grains and processed foods helps a lot. And also getting in some dairy - yogurt or cottage cheese.

I'm having new bloodwork done in August and I hope my numbers have normalized with severely reducing the pantoprazole. I do try to NOT take the pantoprazole if I've just eaten something dairy, or calcium containing, so I absorb it properly.

Gosh, this is lengthy. Basically, I take a pantoprazole now every few days, instead of once or twice a day. So I can see how LCHF would be helpful for GERD. At least the post-VSG kind.
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have Gerd for so long. I am completely switched over to fat burning now. I had the heart burn the first two weeks. Its been really good now. No more heartburn. I am shocked. This lifestyle change i made is really good. If i get heartburn i just take 1/2 tsp baking soda with water and it neutralize it asap. Keep going don't give up> Don't take pharm pills! This is the best diet/lifestyle change ever!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Okay, I didn't get to read all of this in great detail, but the majority of acid reflux issues are related to both too much and too little acids. Typically, most people have one major missing acid component from their stomachs. This causes overproduction of the other types of stomach acid. So it is too little of one, too much of the rest. Other things play in like the stomach flap not closing, increasing needs in stomach acid for higher fats, etc.

I discovered that I have low stomach acid. This article here: http://nobunplease.com/diarrhea-low-carb-keto-diet/ lead me to research low stomach acid, partially because I had my gallbladder out in 2000 (likely also the low stomach acid contributed here, too).

I came across this article: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/how-to-supplement-with-betaine-hcl-for-low-stomach-acid/

And I alternate with these and Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (which apparently is available in capsules - not name branded - for ease of use). I don't have to take them with every meal, but I generally take them with most. 1 diluted TBSP of ACV and/or up to 2 of the digestive enzymes - some combination. With the meal or just before so as not to damage the stomach lining.

I start getting burps and feelings of acid in my throat/belly aches and such if I eat a meal and need more acid than I have "on-hand."

Here are the links from the Launch Pad on these general issues. Happy to answer any more specific questions. I've been supplementing about 6-8 weeks now and have never been happier. I can eat an entire spicy fatty meal and go right to bed with no indigestion, gerd, heartburn, or misery anymore! BLISS.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    The acid reflux is getting better!
    I noticed a flair up after eating pork rinds the other day, so I've cut those out, and haven't really had any more issues.
    I'm full aware of the "powers that be" pushing meds that are hurting us, I'm always speaking out about it, but have a hard time finding anyone to listen!
  • whitneyr137
    whitneyr137 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Glad to hear things are getting better for you. I have had acid reflux for years and had to take a PPI and h2 blocker most of the time to control it. However, I've been off all meds since a week or so after starting LCHF and I'm 3 months in now. I've only had 2 episodes of reflux since, and it was quickly relieved with a tsp of baking soda in water.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »

I'm not familiar with these. Specific brand/dose recommendation to start with?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Cheesy567 wrote: »

I'm not familiar with these. Specific brand/dose recommendation to start with?

I saw these mentioned in an article the other day, with a link to these http://www.swansonvitamins.com/now-foods-digest-platinum-120-veg-caps?SourceCode=INTL405J&CAWELAID=1356705049&catargetid=530002460000103300&cadevice=m&mkwid=6KD9k9Xq&pcrid=80480698807&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-YO7BRDwi6Stp7T296ABEiQAD6iWMTljsMdQdUOcsa6bLZM4GogEl5hxYPACSO2z80_iHoAaAugh8P8HAQ
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Holy crap, @auntstephie321 - there are a lot of things in that bottle! I'd be scared to have an issue and not know what the trigger was.

I started using Beano, then switched to the Equate generic, which worked better than the name brand. Then I moved to ACV. Then I added in the NOW Betaine HCL outlined in the article I linked above (http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/how-to-supplement-with-betaine-hcl-for-low-stomach-acid/). This article does a good job at breaking down how to try the supplements. Personally, I wouldn't go up in pills that quickly, unless you've taken them for a bit. They increase with each meal. I'd stick with the lowest dose for at least a day or two, given your reactions with the ACV, to make sure it isn't going to get worse.

I do also take a probiotic now (it's an RX with samples so far), but the diatomaceous earth ironically seems to be making the most difference, from what i can tell...

I alternate between the ACV, the Betaine HCL, and both. It just depends what I'm eating, whether I'm out and about, and if I have to take my supplements away from my meals... My threshold seems to be no more than 1.5 TBSP of ACV at a time (I aim for 1 TBSP diluted in at least 4x as much water), no more than two pills alone, or 1 pill with the ACV. If I add the supplements apart from my meal due to weird timing, I take 1 pill with them, and so far, I've not had much drama. I did find out that 3 pills at once with a meal lead to acid loose stool.

The NOW brand also makes a Super Enzyme (you can find it on the amazon page for the first one linked from that article) that may work better for some folks, if the Betaine HCL doesn't work well.

Also, just to ask, you did use ACV with the mother, like Braggs or a similar brand, correct? ACV without the mother does not have the same nutritional properties.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Holy crap, @auntstephie321 - there are a lot of things in that bottle! I'd be scared to have an issue and not know what the trigger was.

I started using Beano, then switched to the Equate generic, which worked better than the name brand. Then I moved to ACV. Then I added in the NOW Betaine HCL outlined in the article I linked above (http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/how-to-supplement-with-betaine-hcl-for-low-stomach-acid/). This article does a good job at breaking down how to try the supplements. Personally, I wouldn't go up in pills that quickly, unless you've taken them for a bit. They increase with each meal. I'd stick with the lowest dose for at least a day or two, given your reactions with the ACV, to make sure it isn't going to get worse.

I do also take a probiotic now (it's an RX with samples so far), but the diatomaceous earth ironically seems to be making the most difference, from what i can tell...

I alternate between the ACV, the Betaine HCL, and both. It just depends what I'm eating, whether I'm out and about, and if I have to take my supplements away from my meals... My threshold seems to be no more than 1.5 TBSP of ACV at a time (I aim for 1 TBSP diluted in at least 4x as much water), no more than two pills alone, or 1 pill with the ACV. If I add the supplements apart from my meal due to weird timing, I take 1 pill with them, and so far, I've not had much drama. I did find out that 3 pills at once with a meal lead to acid loose stool.

The NOW brand also makes a Super Enzyme (you can find it on the amazon page for the first one linked from that article) that may work better for some folks, if the Betaine HCL doesn't work well.

Also, just to ask, you did use ACV with the mother, like Braggs or a similar brand, correct? ACV without the mother does not have the same nutritional properties.

Lol I didn't look at it, just a starting point for someone researching as I had seen it recently linked elsewhere
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I take the Now Super Enzymes from amazon. I tried the betain type, but have found the others work best for me. I use acv diluted in water every day. I also make my own cabbage juice (Google it, very easy!), and drink it daily. This has helped me eliminate all GERD medications for about three months now! I had suffered from GERD my whole life, and am finally free of the symptoms!

Shoot, I had even developed a peptic ulcer while taking Prilosec, and Zantac everyday! They were a waste of money in my case!