back again to seriously try it

Options
DSFfit
DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
I tried this too briefly last summer for only a month and got discouraged when I began to gain weight
after nearly two years of dieting and intense workouts I am more overweight than ever and I do have more fitness-muscle but a huge stomach now.
Im 54 and have joint pain too.
Dieting has failed, eating 1200 calories failed.
This is my last ditch effort

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I hear ya on getting discouraged. Same thing happened to me, but eating too low did nothing for me, so I decided to give this another kick at the can. I've seen an increase on the scale yes but my clothes still feel the same, and I still feel lean. Your body will thank you for it.

Might I suggest a metabolism reset? Especially if you have been eating so few calories.

eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

Slowly increasing my calories right now so my body doesn't get too shocked by it. If you need anything help, feel free to ask anyone!
  • DSFfit
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hello thank you for your reply--so if I have been at 1200 calories for a year and me TDEE is about 1910 --I need to take about 6 weeks to get there and then stay at that for about 8-12 weeks before I cut?
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Some people jump right up to their approximate TDEE from day one. Some, like me, add in 100-200 calories per day, eat at that for a week, increase again, eat at that a week etc. It's up to you. I preferred the slowly adding calories in so I could see what happened to my weight, get a better handle on it so to speak. It's all up to you which one you do.

I'd suggest once you find your TDEE that you eat at that longer than 8-12 weeks. If you have been dieting a long time, the longer you eat at TDEE the better. I'd plan on at least 4-5 months there.

Go read, and read, and read. This WILL work for you, you just have to trust the process.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi. Glad you are giving it another try. Did you have a look at the EM2WL.com website before? So much useful information and the forums are full of people who have been where you are/ are where you are and share journeys together. It's a very supportive community.
    This is great too http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/
    This simplifies everything as sometimes it's all just too much information and complicates things.
    You can do this! We are here to help and support you. Anything you are struggling with or are confused with, the answer can be found over at EM2WL.com or ask here and we will answer you.
    So great that you are giving this a second try. Just concentrate on one step at a time, don't change everything all at once. You got this!
    ~Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Welcome back! Sometimes we have to walk away in order to realize this is the right path. Many of us have done that before:)

As the others have said the EM2WL.com site has a lot of information that can be helpful for you. The FAQ and reset guide already posted are great sources to start you off. Consider hitting the forums at http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/ to write your own journey post? Its a great place to write down your thoughts and processes as you go through this as a way to record your story.

Begin your journey slow. Consistency is key, so pick one thing right now to change and change only that. So in your case, raising to your TDEE would be a great place to start:)
    You are so ready for this now:)

Kelly
  • DSFfit
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Yes- I've really been frustrated because I have been working out daily with circuit training and a 3 mile walk for 2 years now and it has caught up to me with all over joint pain.
    The last month or so I have cut down my workouts to only 1 or 2 a week and my belly has puffed out. This is with MFP set to 1200 calories which I rarely go over (I do eat most of my exercise calories back though) I thought maybe my daily glass of wine was the issue so I quit that for 2 months and still no progress.
    I am 5 ' 3.5" and when I was younger and working out 135lb was a good weight for me even though I preferred 125. I have been stuck at 155 since my third child at age 40 (I am 54 now) despite doing everything I did in the past after previous childbirth to get back to the 130s I haven't gotten out of the 150s for 14 years.
    I know it has to be due to a slower metabolism because in a lot of ways I am more active now than I was 15 years ago.
    So, I reset MFP to 1550 to start with and I will try to stay there for at least a month to see what happens. I am also going to give up alcohol again and restrict sodium.
    Thanks for reading!
    --D
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @DSfit , that's exactly how it goes. After a few tries, no matter how hard we push ourselves, what used to work does not work anymore. We end up eating less, exercising more and we end up gaining weigh. It can be undone, but takes time and patience.
    In your case, a metabolism reset would be a great idea. You don't have to do it all at once, a slow increase, 100 cals extra per day. The though of this process being long may be unappealing, but it a sure deal, it's a process that will lead you to lifelong results. Despite the summer being here, take a deep breath, check our free starter guide (http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=DM&utm_campaign=quick start ).
    We are here to help!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • DSFfit
    edited June 2016
    Options
    And the thing is I know what I've been doing is impossible to maintain. I wake up at 3 am hungry and don't eat and fight the hunger all the time, my nails are very brittle and break really easily. I need to eat more. Its hard to get my courage up to allow myself to try this.
    I rechecked and my maintenance TDEE is supposedly 2230 --I am going to work up slowly to that since I've rarely had more than 1500 calories a day in the last few years.
    How long should I stay at TDEE once I get there? Should it be longer since I have been restricted for so long?

• TerezaToledo
    Options
    Yes, increase it, even is slowly,your body and mind will thank you! Brittle nails and hair are a big telltale of under eating. Like Kelly said, consistency is the key. Start raising you calories, than look at your protein intake and just keep going. You will see results, in no time you will feel less aches, your skin will look better, nails will improve, the whole thing.

Don't worry about how long you will stay on your TDEE, get there first, you may end up staying there even longer that you expect once you start feeling the positive side effects.

Make it simple, don't worry about crazy calculations.

Tereza
    TeamEM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Options
    As Tereza said, dont worry about how long at TDEE right now, just aim to get there. Like you, I joined having my hair falling out, my nails were so brittle, they split in half all the time, and I was tired constantly (even with small children at home:))
    Knowing the low cal diets are not sustainable, and understanding that this is a complete lifestyle change are the biggest steps. Concentrate on getting the cals up, get your protein up and then we can go from there

Kelly
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It's such a good thing that you recognise under eating is not sustainable.
    Many of the benefits of eating more will solve things like brittle nails. You will have more energy, better skin, growing hair and nails, better sleep, better moods.......... So much!
    Trust me, you will not regret raising your calories. I would suggest trying to eat something light before going to bed. Waking up hungry during the night is definitely a loud message that your body wants more food!
    Let us know a progress update.
    ~Ichel
  • TerezaToledo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just came acroos this article and thout about you, @DSFfit :smile:http://eatmore2weighless.com/metabolism-reset-how-much-longer/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • DSFfit
    Options
    Here is whats been going on the last 10 days or so...
    I went on a trip and have basically been on the road eating out of a cooler and restaurants and hotel breakfasts.
    I tried to not think too much about calories but still found myself skipping meals and afraid to reach my new goal of
    1600 calories a day.
    I didn't get as much exercise as usual either.
    I haven't gained any weight though.
    I am having a hard time mentally allowing myself to get to 1600 a day.
    But really haven't been logging so maybe I have been eating more than that.

so now I am home and back on regular schedule I am ready to focus.
  • DSFfit
    Options
    Tereza
    Thank you for the link to the article
    it makes a lot of sense.
    I am struggling mentally with allowing myself to eat more
    I thought when I was traveling it would be easy to do but when others at the restaurant were ordering a full meal I would get a side of a plain potato and sprinkle it with pepper and that was all I would eat.
    I think back at the times in my life when I was at a healthy weight I really wasn't thinking about food very much. Seems like all I think about is food, numbers and how much exercise I have to do to eat.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    DSFfit, I was obsessed with numbers and calories and all that once. The mental part is one of the toughest ones in this journey, no doubt. To let go of the old mentality that we need to eat like birds to look like stick figures is not an easy task, but that mindset has got to go. For me I decided that if was was going to obsess about food so much, it would be in a way that would let me enjoy it and be happy. With the EM2WL lifestyle I get to eat what I want and like, enjoy life, feel good and look the way I want. To just have a baked potato while everyone is eating yummier stuff is sad, you deserve better than that!

This is a nice journey story talking about increasing those calories: http://eatmore2weighless.com/not-eating-enough-calories-for-weight-loss/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • DSFfit
    Options
    one problem I have that Ive noticed while logging for the past 700plus days is
    although I am usually under the calorie goal of 1200 I am nearly always a bit over the fat
    grams
    maybe if I eat more calories I will crave less fat? Its generally due to eating peanut butter and microwave popcorn. I eat a lot of popcorn to try to stop the hunger pangs.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    DSFfit wrote: »
    one problem I have that Ive noticed while logging for the past 700plus days is
    although I am usually under the calorie goal of 1200 I am nearly always a bit over the fat
    grams
    maybe if I eat more calories I will crave less fat? Its generally due to eating peanut butter and microwave popcorn. I eat a lot of popcorn to try to stop the hunger pangs.

By increasing your protein levels, you will find you are way less hungry, and it will automatically balance out the fat and carbs. Craving or Binging is a huge sign your body is not getting the fuel it needs.

The mental game is a huge hurdle to overcome. But it can be done as long as you are willing to do it. Take it day by day. Put your daily cal amount up. If its still set to 1200, then increase it up by 100-200. Focus on hitting that number. Promise yourself to give this a fair shot. Work hard to build the calories up. Breathe and let go of your past. Remember how horrible it is to sit in a restaurant and eat nothing but that plain baked potato, while everyone else ate "Real" meals? By getting your cals up and hitting your correct levels, you will find you no longer have to eat that side of whatever as a meal. You can actually have a real plate of food and ENJOY it with everyone else. Think about how happy you were when you never had to concern yourself over what you ate.. Don't you want that feeling back? You CAN get it again. Rip the bandaid, and give yourself permission to fuel your body. Allow yourself to feel happy about food again.

If you need a challenge to focus on while you are building up your cals, try our 7 day protein challenge. This will help you to focus on increasing your protein amount and get those cals in
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/eat-enough-protein/

We are here to help. :)
    Kelly
  • TerezaToledo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Kelly, I loved your post! I couldn't have said it better!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • TerezaToledo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @DSFfit this is a quick post from EM2WL nailing proteins easily: https://www.facebook.com/EM2WL/videos/1141387395913666/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @DSFit I've been working my way up to my TDEE for almost a year now. I still have a little ways to go. I have had to fight with myself almost every day to up my calories. The mental aspect is crazy difficult to deal with some days. After getting my daily average up to 1900 consistently, I'm working on getting them consistently up to 2100. I've hit it two weeks out of four, and not two weeks in a row yet either. I'm not going to give up! I can't believe how much energy I have now compared to a year ago when I was eating under 1000 calories a day. I ate so little then that I considered 2000 calories a major binge and would become physically ill the once a week that I hit that many calories. Once I hit that 1900 a couple of weeks in a row I no longer had the desire to binge, and I haven't since! I have learned so much this year, it's been a crazy roller coaster ride mentally though.