Mild Petchiae from LCHF

Options
Pinklantana
Pinklantana Posts: 12 Member
I develop mild Petchiae on my stomach after a few weeks into LCHF diet. When I stop LCHF it goes away almost immediately. I feel great when I do this diet but this happening worries me. It's happened twice. I looked at causes but it's enough to make you a nervous wreck. I'm positive it's a result of the diet. Has this happened to anyone else here? Does anyone know why this diet would do that? I would love love to get back doing LCHF without worries. Thank you for any and all input. Much appreciated.

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Is there something you are eating now that you were not before? Or a lot more of something that you you only ate in moderation before? I'd start trying to rule out foods. If I were you I'd go back on the WOE but try to limit your food types until you rule it out the way we would any possible food allergy. Start with a "bland diet" and work in one food at a time that you think may be the cause.
  • Pinklantana
    Options
    The only thing that comes to mind is the use of coconut oil. I pretty much ate the same things as before but cut carbs down to about 20-30 and increased proteins and a lot of fat. I'm not a big meat eater. My ketone Stix were pink-purple. Thank you for taking time to help give me an idea!
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Huh, so I had to Google "Petchiae" to know what you were talking about - and it turns out I have them too! I've just been noticing them in increasing numbers within the last few weeks, and I've been keto since February. I thought they were just a "getting old" thing :smile: . I guess if they are my only negative side effect from this WOE, I will put up with them!
  • jetsamflotsam
    jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Never heard of that before and I had to google it too. From what it says on Wikipedia, I'd be going to my doctor and getting it checked, or at least getting some blood work done at a minimum.
  • Pinklantana
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've thought that too jetsamflotsam, I thought I would get back to doing it and just call the Dr while they are present on my stomach. Just hoped to avoid my 6000 deductible if possible if this wasn't uncommon or a normal process. Thank you very much for taking time to respond.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C or vitamin K deficiency? I didn't research LCHF diet and vitamin deficiency, but do know that those two vitamin deficiencies can cause petechiae. Maybe try higher dose vitamin C and see if you develop petechiae or not. If not, then you can still save you're deductible*!

*I would only say this as it seems to be diet related and not ominous-medical-problem related. If you're sick, spend the deductible!
  • Pinklantana
    Options
    I thought about that, I always took a lot of vitc. I do have a liver tumor that was accidentally found and had regular c-scans and had blood work done and nothing unusual was found and that was a few years ago. I would think something would of shown up in that time. The appearance of these just didn't line up with Dr visits. I also had an emergency surgery last year and I would think if there was something underlying it would of come up on something. I think I will try to ease into this WOE slowly and be critical about nutrients. Thank you macybean very much for responding. I do appreciate it.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have them on my stomach too. For quite awhile, been keto for 2 years....Don't seem to be problematic, but I hadn't associated the diet with them.....hmmmm.
  • Pinklantana
    Options
    Elize7, thank you. I worry over everything. Maybe you can up on the vit c and k and see if that's it. I really wondered do I worry or not too much. I really wanted to know if others had this and if so then what. The whole kicker of it all was I was feeling better than ever! Thank you so very much for your input. I just couldn't wrap my head around it because it's clearly only when I eat LCHF. That's why I really don't think it's life threatening but very scary symptom and I'm trying to figure out what it is. It helps to know other people have it happen also. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate it!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the boards often and just dropped in today and saw this. I have them too!!! all over my abdomon, especially from my braline to my belly button. I've been eating this way for about 2 years and have had them the whole time. THey aren't itchy or anything so I never really worried about them but now you've got me wondering about it.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a Vitamin C deficiency. A lot of times, supplements don't give you viable quantities of the Vitamin...your body doesn't know what to do with it.
    I would suggest adding lemon juice to some of your foods, and make sure that you're eating good quality leafy greens.
  • Pinklantana
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Kristafb that's exactly where I get them but of you've had 2 years and nothing else that helps put my mind at ease.
    Cryren8972 I didn't eat nutrient dense foods and just popped vitc tablets. I figured it was good enough. Maybe not! I'm learning still.
    Everyone thank you so much for input on this. Knowing other people experience this helps me feel like I'm not crazy or I'm hurting myself. So far with the suggestions I am getting it's giving more tools to do this properly. I honestly can't thank yall enough for taking the time out of your day and responding and giving the support. I'm still would love to hear from others also. Thank you all so much again.