Very Long Winded - I Am Just Composing My Thoughts

Options
jaymo602
jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
Sorry about the long winded post I am about to unfold.
A new friend/mentor here on MFP here sent me a private email asking how I was doing on my diet today.
As I was composing the message back I found myself actually gathering the thoughts I have in my head for the last 30 days about this WOE, and if it will be right for me in the long run.
After composing it I realize I probably should be chopping it into 3 segments and selling it as a trilogy to any movie producer that would listen, but hence the only captive audience I have is right here on MFP. I share this with you, and am curious if you think or feel the same in the process?

The message sent out was -

Thanks for checking in.
Funny, I have been pondering about this new way of eating for me, and why it seems like a natural fit ...
This message is going to be "long winded" as its actually helping me to compose my own thoughts....so here goes...
I may just post it on MFP for my own accountability and just to share it...

Firstly it is inherently strange to me that this diet extensively goes against any medical nutritional advice given over the last 30 years I would say. I have always been a bit of a diet nutrition scholar, reading all the books and studies I can.. I guess trying to find my own way and understandings.

I am still pondering if this Diet is correct for me, YES - the scale is certainly moving in the right direction, and for some that's the only selling point needed. But for me I have other concerns on its long term effectiveness, my ability to cause ultimate failure, and its overall impact on MY health long term.

Let me look at eating and what I enjoy and what I don't' -

1. Firstly I have no problem avoiding bread, rice, or potato carbs, I have not been a huge fan of it since my 20s.
2.When it comes to carbs, I greatly prefer green leafy natural (no sauce or butters) vegetables more than any others.
3. My prior diets always centered around the 40/30/30 method of eating and I always found it troublesome to force some carbs in when all I really desired was more protein and fats.
4. Eating fats feels really "natural" to me (fatty cuts of meat , avocados, nuts , olive oils) and as mention I had always made a limit of it (low fat, lean cuts of meat, the better nuts..) because it didn't conform to what the medical teachings say a diet should be.

With the above seeming quite natural to me I have to look at other differences that may be propelling my success on this diet. -

A. One big difference I have to acknowledge is that my current diet puts me at around 2100 calories, and I don't always inherently hold myself to that number, there are times I eat more protein than I should and times when I do fats...but I really don't find myself ever going over on Carbs intentionally.
B. Previous diets were around 500 calories less, and perhaps that level of calorie was too low for me, causing some failure.
C. I may currently be in the diet "Honeymoon" finding everything great and easy, and not seeing obstacles.
D. I have not had a binge eating episode in 30 days...I am an emotional binge eater, when I am happy, when I am sad, when I am frustrated....Owning a small business a few years back probably was the WORST thing I could do when it came to diets.
E. I currently have a new motivation, I had my first child recently late in life (I am 42) and my biggest fears and thoughts turn to "I need to be around for her for the next 20 years easily, and how can I keep up with a child running around at this size?"
F. I have always enjoyed cooking, and with this new diet comes new recipes to make so a level of entertainment is currently invigorating.
D. I have in the past been on MFP and if you go way back in the diet logs (years) you can find my attempts. You would see that I was following 40/30/30 eating, and I am really comfortable keeping a daily accounting log, so this is not a hindrance for me, and I find it keeps me accountable, knowing just how much I have left in the day.

Lastly, looking forward, medical reasoning says that this type of diet is BAD for your body and future health. And while I have read studies and positives, I am NEVER a true believer unless I can prove it to myself. I have vowed to stay with this diet for 90 days, and despite the weight loss that comes with it, I will ultimately decide if this diet is correct for me based on my doctors blood tests. I visited the doctor prior and got full labs done to cover the bases. I am one of the "LUCKY" fat people that have no additional weight related concerns (diabetes, high cholesterol, heart problems, kidney problems, etc..) with the exception of my blood pressure being on the higher side of the spectrum, but not requiring any medications. I currently take no medications with the exception of over the counter types, I don't smoke, and I don't drink unless there is a Craps table and the drinks are free.

One more thing, I am deathly afraid of failure in dieting, in the past I have lost poundage, and became a preacher of how great this diet or that diet is, only to eventually fail the diet myself. Its just embarrassing really, and this time around I really prefer not to put all my eggs (cage free) in one basket, nor find out what my own foot tastes like again..... So I am trying not to push this WOE on all that are around me, and have to realize that if our genetics can differ based on race , religion, color, and global location - certainly at the very least our diets and the type of diets that are successful for us in weight loss would also. Certainly one type of "diet for all" cant be the truth, and different diets would be more effective for different genetics than others.

The toughest part is finding the right one for me and me only...... and I hope I may have.

Replies

• becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Whilst I totally get what you are saying about genetic differences, fundamentally we are all human beings and would have evolved to eat in a particular way as does any species. We would have been hunter gatherers so this diet for me is as close to how we are 'meant' to eat as you can get, which, as we have not only survived but have actually thrived as a species, surely cannot be wrong.
    In fact, it's only now, with the trappings of over advancements in food production and technology causing us to mass produce and process our foodstuffs, that we begin to see a decline in the health and wellbeing of our species. Moreso in the western world where the money and want is there for the cheap, easy, convenient life.
    The reason it all seems so great and easy and natural (in my opinion) is because this is how it is meant to be. So for your body, it's like coming home.
    Good luck!
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    Whilst I totally get what you are saying about genetic differences, fundamentally we are all human beings and would have evolved to eat in a particular way as does any species. We would have been hunter gatherers so this diet for me is as close to how we are 'meant' to eat as you can get, which, as we have not only survived but have actually thrived as a species, surely cannot be wrong.

Thank you for the good words. As far as natural diets goes as species, idealistically if we are thinking evolution then I would think that if we evolved from the ape, our diets would be composed of a large amount of carbohydrates via grass and plants, as well as an occasional fish, bird, lizards or eggs that would have been obtained . This would have gone on for many years until the advent of opposable thumbs and standing upright, in which a whole new level of food was then introduced. As far as my thoughts on geographical locations, certainly the diets from the beginning would be different, as you will not find the same food from continents to continent, so the dietary essence of nutrition would defer from your origination.

Thanks again, all the best!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Peter J D'Adamo addresses the genetic aspects of what we "should" be eating in his book "Eat Right 4(for) Your Type." He basically explains how and when the different blood types (O, A, B, AB) originated in humans, what foods were available to them, and thus what their bodies were designed to work best with as fuel.

I think the waters of the gene pool may have been "muddied" a bit over the centuries, so what works for one type O may not work for all type O's, but overall what he says makes sense. It's a good read, in case you enjoy that kind of thing.

• becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (when I was researching raw food eating for my dog) that an evolutionary change takes around 10,000 years to happen - we developed the ability to hold tools to enable us to process foods such as meat around 3 million years ago so I am satisfied that we were far enough from the very primitive 'ape' diet you describe by the time we were recognisably 'human' - that being said we would most definitely have had periods of higher carb consumption (plants, fruits etc) depending on season, availability etc.. So where we were geographically would definitely have had an effect which could explain our differing levels of carb tolerance and sensitivity to particular foods. But again, these plants and fruits themselves would have been much different left unaltered by human hands - someone posted something recently showing the difference between the sugar laden examples we eat today vs how they would have been in their natural state and the sugar/starch content would have been much lower.
    In conclusion, I won't be eating grass and lizards anytime soon :D
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    One argument that fits with the "what we evolved on" is the rice eaters of Asia..people point to relatives and say " my mom and grandma always ate rice, and soy and they are not fat" type of comment..but they are NOT allowing for the many thousands of years SPECIFIC to that culture...while others ate meat and chased animals some cultures developed rice and grain staples, AND many used 'night soil' for fertilizer which the rest did not..so 5-10 thousand years of that diet was an adaptation.

So when some experts point to The China Study as the best way to eat, it is, for SOME.

The introduction of dwarf wheat over tall grains, and consumption of multi grains like Amaranth, etc allowed for wide nutritional variety, and now with massive processing of food most of us barely eat any fresh veggies or truly unprocessed foods.

Back to Jaymo's fears that this diet is 'bad' is one each of us must overcome, or in my case I am ticked at myself for not sticking to original Adkin's diet when I discovered it in the 70's..but strong family influence steered me away for too long, to my detriment. I never gave up butter or HWC tho..just ate far less.