chinese food suggestions

Options
kennygang
kennygang Posts: 93 Member
My family has requested to have Chinese take out tonight.....any suggestions on what would be best low carb options? I know to stay away from the rice and anything breaded or fried. Was thinking of shrimp an broccoli . Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I believe they add sugar and starch to almost every item. It's something that's best avoided. I would suggest finding a recipe online for stir fried cauliflower "rice" or a broccoli and protein stir fry if it's a must have.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    uggh.... I have avoided all Asian food unless I make it at home. Scares me to even think about trying to budget carbs for it. I would scope out the place first, call and ask them about ingredients and see if they can accommodate you in some way. Pepper Steak is the only thing coming to my mind that may be ok. However like @McShorty7 said...I think every sauce is thickened with corn starch.
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I actually had my daughters graduation this weekend and she wanted to go to PF Changs . So I went on line and looked up the menu and the nutritional value of things and found quite a few options. I did go over my own carb target but I keep my carbs at 13 or under. But I was under 50. and like you said I stayed away from fried foods and rice. It was fabulous.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Steamed chicken & vegetables, sauce on the side, no rice. Even if you don't see what you want as a menu item, ask for it.
  • kennygang
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments I figured this was going to be tough. I will try steamed chick and veg with no sauce or rice. I will adjust my carbs accordingly and it is only one meal .

• LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I always get the spicy chicken ...I can't spell it and would embarrass myself if I try!!! :). I have never had a backslide due to eating Chinese. I stay away from rice and egg roll wrappers.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Our Chinese place has a diet section on the menu.
    I order beef & broccoli, when it gets delivered I add
    2 packets of Soy sauce & 2 Tbsp butter.
    Good stuff :)

>:) or o:)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I stuggle with this, all the lower carb options I've tried are just not tasty to me, so I've since been making it at home instead. I just use chicken and dice it up then brown it and add some low carb teriyaki, or ginger soy sauce, you could add some veggies too if you want more, but the chicken on its own is awesome, cheap and doesn't make me feel ill afterwards.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Steamed chicken & vegetables, sauce on the side, no rice. Even if you don't see what you want as a menu item, ask for it.

This. I've ordered the same thing for 20 years! I love it.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I order the war wonton soup and eat everything but the wonton skin lol my chinese place puts shrimp, bbq pork, chicken, mushrooms, scallions. the wonton is pork meatballs. I just pull the skin off, its practically falling off. then its just a chicken broth its swimming in lol
  • kennygang
    Options
    I guess I will try steamed chicken and veg sauce on side. but the wonton soup sounds good too without the skin
    thanks all
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I do egg drop soup - regardless of the bit of corn starch they likely thicken with. If you do a place like PF Changs, they have lots of options. I typically get ahi ahi tuna tartare and sub in steamed veggies with butter in place of the wonton chips.
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great....Now Im Hungry... :D
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be steamed, you can ask them to stir fry meats & veg (no carrots or baby corn if you are really watching) and top with butter and plain or GF soy sauce and chili garlic sauce. I have to be gluten free so I always get my Chinese food done without any sauces and add my own after. If you know you will be going out you could always bring some LC sauce that you like from home in a tiny container. Egg foo yung is pretty good too (there are <5 net carbs in a whole cup -3.70z- of bean sprouts), just get it without gravy and put chili garlic sauce on it instead.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    jaymo602 wrote: »
    Great....Now Im Hungry... :D

Lol now I want Chinese food for dinner instead of my steak that's thawing.