Trying to get back on the wagon...

Options
Tripaway
Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
So a friend of mine, well, she's a rather large woman. And by large, I mean really, really, unhealthily large. She was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and she has made a complete 180 over the last year or two. She actually competed in a 5k run last weekend - her first!

She logs her activity on MFP each day, and I'm just really inspired by her. I'm nowhere nearly as far from my goal weight as she is from hers, but I'm kind of getting a little more motivated to stop slacking off with my diet and exercise. She went from someone who criticized runners to becoming one herself - so I guess a health scare really is all you need to reprioritize?

At any rate, I'm going to give this another shot - I feel like I've been on-again off-again for several years now, so I think I'm going to make a healthy lifestyle a priority.

I've been listening to several podcasts over the last few weeks, and an overwhelming majority deal with bettering yourself - motivation tends to be the biggest factor! I'm learning that I need to decide what I want, decide how badly I want it, and then go out and get it.

Well done to my friend, naturally, so let's hope I can glean some of her ambition and apply it to myself!

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Good to see you back. I totally agree with what you said. You have to want it, I mean REALLY want it before it can happen. I think I have a quote about that, let me check... Ah, here it is.

Work hard for what you want because it won't come to you without a fight. You have to be strong and courageous and know that you can do anything you put your mind to. If somebody puts you down or criticizes you, just keep on believing in yourself and turn it into something positive.
    -Leah LaBelle
  • Tripaway
    Options
    Exactly! My new goal is to not get discouraged by missing a day. I plan to go to the gym and do at least something every day of the week. I used to think "aww, crap, I missed Tuesday, may as well take the rest of the week off and try again next Monday." And that just wasn't a very good outlook, haha. My son had to stay home sick yesterday, so I missed Wednesday, but I'm gearing up to go after work this afternoon!
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That's the right attitude. Life is going to interfere with our workout plan, no doubt about it. But a small bump should not derail the train.

You might think about getting some weights for home so you can do something without going to the gym. (I never go to the gym.) I also found a whole suite of apps for my iphone from Fitness 22 that are all no equipment needed workouts. Sit-up, push-ups, squats... that sort of thing.

I have some used dumbbells I've picked up over the years and I have my own treadmill for cardio that I use during my off-season. With those and the F22 apps, I have no excuses to not workout at home.
  • Tripaway
    Options
    I'd thought about getting some weights from the house, but I'm not sure where to put them. I have this ridiculous need for everything to have a place to belong within the house, and nothing can look "cluttered." Consequently, I don't have a ton of stuff occupying space, and my closets are all full of what "belongs" in there with no more room for miscellaneous stuff. I just need to come up with a designated space for them. I definitely don't have room for a treadmill, haha. But yeah, weights would be a good idea! Once the stupid cats die, I'll have plenty of room after I get rid of all of the stupid toys the wife insisted on buying, haha.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Work hard for what you want because it won't come to you without a fight. You have to be strong and courageous and know that you can do anything you put your mind to. If somebody puts you down or criticizes you, just keep on believing in yourself and turn it into something positive.======= I like this quote, but I would like to add to it......" If somebody continues to put you down or criticsize you, then hunt them down....wait til they are alone....then walk up to them and.....throw a banana creme pie at them. then run like the wind. Either that or just give em a wedgie"