Disappointed with wait time.

Options
nakeddog
nakeddog Posts: 79 Member
This process for me started the day my dr sent out my referral. That was Jan 2015.

May 6, 2016 was my first appt. I was to meet the nurse...he said I'd be looking at a year. Sent me for routine blood work, said I had to lose weight around 10%...but not to gain, a gain would be a dismissal of the program. So I did the blood work, continued the daily tracking, and he said to get a step counter. I did that, got a FItbit.

2nd appt...go over the blood with dr, saw dietician, and saw the psychologist. Those went well, nothing medically to prevent my surgery. However...the dr said 2 years. It'd be a year before I get approved, and move forward...and then another year to get from that to my wait in the line for the surgery. I might be able to move ahead of others that didn't complete the steps, or just aren't ready...but ya more 2 yrs.

So kinda bummed, at first I thought since I did sooo much prep work, took all the required classes and more. I would be able to show I am ready, and be good to go...expecting surgery before end of this year...making Jan 2yrs. Then I settled in the idea of another year...well that was hard...but okay.

2 more years...making it 3yrs...is really hard. Both my kids will have graduated highschool, and our family picture will most likely still have me, the fat mom in them. I just wanted them to proudly display their photos...likewise I wanted to make it special for our house.

This really sucks...

In other news, I am losing some weight, I am walking everyday.

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hang in there, keep pushing. It's worth it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If you were to go ahead and eat like you will be after surgery (which will be low carb, for life), you can prove to yourself that you will be able to adjust to this way of life!

Low carb is considered to be 150gm of carbs, or less, daily, which isn't that hard when you increase your healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil , butter, ghee, tallow). Log all of your foods, so you learn what you're putting in your body! This can be very eye opening! At least it was for me! Why not go ahead and commit to what it's going to require anyway? You don't have to be the "fat mom" in the family photos! Plus, the pride you feel from the accomplishment of changing your health for the better can't be beat! Just my opinion, since you've got the time. Why not use it?

• livnndnvr
    livnndnvr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a different program? I am going to Mexico in July and I know you can go this other with a month or two.
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Have you considered self pay? My insurance had a WLS exclusion, so I took out a loan with my credit union and paid out of pocket for it. There were no hoops to jump through. I was able to schedule a date as soon as I paid my surgeons office.
  • nakeddog
    Options
    Thanks, but no we can't afford to go to a private facility. We can't even afford a vacation to Mexico let alone the cost of the surgery. I know if I did go down that route, the doctors here, do not take care of the after care...and it can lead to alot of problems...it's just safer for me to stay put and wait.

I am going to make the changes, and do what I need to do...but until the surgery actually happens it is a diet that I won't be able to commit to 100%. I don't mind eating healthy, lots of veggies and fruit., protein...cut out the bad carbs is a little tricky because that's where deprivation sets in, the family wants to eat things I have to say no to...and that tends to spiral me into bad habits again. I wanted the surgery to provide the physical restriction, the dumping feelings if I chose bad foods...something physical to remind me...that hey you can't. Because now I can, and it tastes good.

We have all perfected dieting...and we all came to the surgery route. My issue is that I feel like I have been mislead...I was told if I did this it will be this...so I did. Then to be told, it's longer than that...and then told by someone else they were wrong it's double.

I was just venting...I had all these plans looking forward to the end goal, and the goal line didn't just change a month or two...it changed 2 full years.
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having to wait so long. 3 years is a long time, but WLS is definitely in your future which not everyone can say.

What makes you think your children can't proudly display a picture of their fat mom? If you asked them if they love you and are proud of you now I wonder what they would say?
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I understand how frustrating the wait must be, I do. What concerns me is your thinking that restriction and dumping will stop you. Not everyone dumps. There are many people that claim they don't feel the restriction. There are local people that I know that will purposely NOT follow rules and drink tons to flush their pouch/sleeve to be able to eat more throughout the day. **NOT SAYING YOU WILL DO THIS!** I'd take this time to get yourself focusing now on the rules you have seen on here, the internet, other forums, etc. Even if you slip (post-surgical you will too, we're human) you'll have a much better grasp of things than someone that gets pushed through quickly.

I guess my message is this...POSITIVE THINKING. You have this time, don't look at it in a negative light. Set your self up for success now as well as later. If you stumble, don't look at it as a setback but a lesson. Keep dusting yourself off and getting back on track. The past 8 months have been a complete mind game. Use this time to get yourself ready for that part as well.

Best of luck to you!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Surgery doesn't "fix" the desire to overeat certain foods. You have to change that within yourself! Yes, you will lose weight, but without fixing the thinking it will be very hard to remain a success.

Too many people think surgery will be the answer to all of their problems. How will you handle family pizza night after surgery,(if you aren't willing to inconvenience your family now...)or when you're at the office and someone so kindly brings in donuts? If you can't handle these things now, surgery won't change that.

I'm sorry you're having to wait.

I would use this time to my advantage (knowing what I know now).
  • nakeddog
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know that the waiting seems to be the hardest part, but imagine being scheduled for your procedure. You had done everything that they asked of you up till that point. Had all those appointments at different locations, and finally, after coordinating with your employer, filling out the FMLA papers, ready to go in one week, you start your hell week, and then you get a call from the physician office that they had to cancel your procedure.

Why? Because the insurance company after doing the initial approval, and trust me, I got the letter from them stating that I was approved and for how many days and all of that, changed their minds and added six months of additional nutrition counseling. Um, say what? I had already completed that, I felt devistated. I was pissed off. I was crying, I mean, I felt like an emotional wreck. I was there, one week to go after a year of jumping thru all of their hoops. Them, the docs, the counselor, the this and that, and of course, the insurance company.

Now, with all fairness, it wasn't just me hit by this, it was several people who were in my 'group' who were hit with this. We couldn't understand how this could happen, especially when we had approval letters in our hands. A few days after that phone call, we all got our denial with exception letters stating it. It sucks and really, I was an emotional basketcase.

But! I was even more determined then ever. And my docs office was very understanding and tried to circumvent it, but short of paying for the whole thing out of pocket (about $28,000) or with the insurance ($3,200 my part), this was just a delay in what I knew was to be the best thing that I was doing for myself.

It sucks, jumping thru hoops and delays. But let this struggle and/or delay be more of a trial of your will to fight it instead of struggling with it.

Work it and fight it, but know that one day it will come to just be a small blip of time and look forward to what happens as you work your program to change your whole life.
  • nakeddog
    Options
    Oh my gosh, that would totally suck...yes I would be very upset too. I hope you are still not waiting, and was able to get the insurance to help. I don't think we have the same procedures here, for me I will have it covered under my health care, we do have insurance for things like prescriptions, eye glasses., dental. My hubby pays thru work, into our medical health, regardless if we use it, it gets paid montly, and we get our health card and go to the dr when needed.

I've been doing well so far, keeping to 1500 cal-1550 cal range, and I've lost 10lbs.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    nakeddog wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, that would totally suck...yes I would be very upset too. I hope you are still not waiting, and was able to get the insurance to help. I don't think we have the same procedures here, for me I will have it covered under my health care, we do have insurance for things like prescriptions, eye glasses., dental. My hubby pays thru work, into our medical health, regardless if we use it, it gets paid montly, and we get our health card and go to the dr when needed.

I've been doing well so far, keeping to 1500 cal-1550 cal range, and I've lost 10lbs.

Where are you at? I have Blue Cross here from my employer in Missouri and I had the VSG almost a year ago now.
  • nakeddog
    Options
    alberta, canada...we have Blue Cross as well, but it only covers some of our things., they are two separate things...our healthcare is one, and Blue Cross is another, and if we want we can allocate funds into a 3rd health spending account...kinda like a back up I suppose...with a family of 6, it is always used up...but my gym membership and some vet bills came out of that...and now his employer has changed things...so we don't get the same benefit pkgs anymore.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Waiting stinks! But take the time and really get used to the new way of eating that you will use as a tool after surgery. And exercise, exercise, exercise! It will help with recovery and help you as you continue your journey. Time will fly by and before you know it --- you will arrive on surgery day! Best wishes.
  • nakeddog
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Last week I had my 2nd appt with the nurse...I've completed everything asked of me. Haven't lost the 10% yet, but did lose 12-16 lbs in the 3mths so he was very happy with the safe weight loss...1-2 lbs per week. He has approved me, and I get to move on. I still see him, but it's more so just to check in, as far as he is concerned I am a go ahead.

Today I see the dietitian and the psychologist again...both of them said last visit, I likely don't need to keep coming, but they have to do today's visit., as a follow up as well.

Then pretty much, I just keep doing what I've been doing. I signed up for 2 new classes thru the Health Services.

My hope is that, since I am ready...perhaps I can move along faster than the 2 years I was told...esp if others are not there yet. I know the O.R/hospital sets its schedule and the clinic has no control, so alot of the wait time is for that.

My new goals:

1) Increase activity....(which is hard when I have plantar fascia, and literally hurts to be on the feet)...but I did buy some shoe inserts, hoping it helps.

2) Chew slowly., and

3) Be more aware and eat more clean.

Starting weight 268lbs...today's weight 252 lbs. At the clinic it will likely say 255...always up in the afternoon.