How to keep fat down???

Options

I am trying to get my Macro’s at 40-30-30. How do you keep your fat down? My protein goals are like 150-170 a day but try to stick to a pretty whole foods diet so I eat a lot of eggs, grass ground beef, sirloin steak, homemade granola that has peanut butter. I make a lot of from scratch meals so I cook with olive oil, coconut oil and butter. I eat regular (but no more than one serving because of dairy issues) of full fat sour cream or cheese. I don’t want to use the full of added carbs low fat crap. I’m not a big fish eater and I already eat a ton of chicken to get my protein goals in. I don’t eat wheat so I feel like I don’t get many carbs that don’t come with fat…. Veggies and Potatoes I add grass fed butter, Oatmeal I add peanutbutter to make it edible. Should I stop obsessing about clean eating and eat a low fat rice krispy every now and then to lower my fat and get carbs in? I have tried to add a little fruit in but I get sooo sick of it real fast. I my TDEE -10 is about 2200-2400 that’s like 200 gm of carb a day!! Every day I’m over on my fat. Probably because I work in something sweet like Dark Chocolate or a Lara Bar that both have fat (healthy and natural) but still fat!

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is overrated. As long as you are getting all your nutrients and such from good wholesome food, you are able to fit in a nice treat. Too restrictive of diets can lead to binging. I've gone over on fat a bunch of times myself, but i make sure I still hit my protein and my carbs
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Its funny how everyone has different macros they struggle to keep down. Mine used to be carbs and I hardly ever hit my fat macro:)
    But thats changed.

Based on what you have posted for meals, Id say the first thing I would do is make sure the diary entries you are choosing are correct. Some of them, even with that green check mark can still be wrong, and there might be a few that are wrong for your fat intake. If that is all in line, then the next thing is your oils. If you are using oils to cook. (which is great, more people should:)) You may have to lower your amount down a bit to keep your fat ratio down. Its amazing how a tsp here and there can add up. There are some home stores that sell an oil sprayer.. it acts like a Can of Pam Spray, but you put real oil in, so you can spray your pan but it takes like half of the amount of oil you would dish in with a spoon, or just pour in. This is one I found on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466087703&sr=8-3&keywords=oil+sprayer

I wouldnt fear the fat intake. Its part of the "diet" mentality that was ingrained into our heads that fat = FAT... but thats not the case. Work on making sure your protein macro is hit daily and let the fat and carb macros fall where they will.. Sometimes thinking about what we can add into our diet to hit the protein macro, will help eliminate the overatures on the other two:)

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Like you, I have hard time keeping my fats low. What Beastmode said about clean food is right. I love clean wholesome foods, but I love my treats as well and by adding lots of healthier foods, I can definitelt leave some room for the not so healthy but yummy ones. Restricting leads to bingeing.

The idea Kelly mentined about spraying the oils is excellent! And yes, fats are good.

The idea of adding more lean protein to crowd out the other macros works well for me. On the ground beet, I switched to the 90% lean. Have you tried ground bison? Very lean and tasty! For the peanut butter, have you tried the PB2 and other brands of powder pb? Great substitutes! Not everyhing fat free is bad and it's ok to try 2% on some things. I eat a lot of dairy, but I don't always like the full cream flavour, specially on my lattes. If you lke rice krisps, just go for it!
    Keep experimenting with different foods!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As a vegan most of my protein comes with carbs or fats.
    Maybe you could borrow some of my carby proteins? :)
    Things like beans, lentils, peas, the starchy types of proteins.
    I find I try to make my protein macro hit and the rest falls into place.
    And EM2WL lifestyle totally gives you enough room to have crispy treats or whatever else you fancy.
    Hey it's summer, I'm cutting and there is still room for chocolate dipped waffle cones and vegan vanilla ice cream :-)
    ~Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Thank you so much guys!! I have tried the Spray Oil but I sort of forgot about it!!! I think I will start using that on my roasted veggies that I make a lot! Most of my entries are custom made by me adding up ingredients. My lists would probably look insane to the outside looker. I label things so weird lol. I do use the scanner a lot and it doesn’t look right I’ll check somewhere else because I have found some discrepancies before. I do use the 90% lean beef but I don’t think I have ever seen bison! I will be on the lookout.
    I’m going to work on adding more protein too. I’m to 120-140 which is good since I was at 70-90 a few months ago. I don’t restrict out of fear of binging I restrict out of fear of poison GMO food which I know a little will not kill me. It’s like I gave up control of restricting calories to only to find a new obsession. I'm trying to find a good balance! EM2WL has been a big game changer!!!!!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It’s like I gave up control of restricting calories to only to find a new obsession. I'm trying to find a good balance! EM2WL has been a big game changer!!!!!

You know, I did the same thing when I started focusing on eating cleaner. You can find bison at whole foods, Publix (ground). It's free range and mostly grassfed. I like the taste. There's a lot of trial and error, but with some experiencing in the kitchen you will find things that you like and that can become staples in your kitchen. I love Ichel's idea on borrowing some vegan tips. I'd love to find protein bread in the stores nearby.

BTW, one treat that has some clean and not so clean to it are black bean brownies. I add unflavored protein powder to them.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I only worry about fats if they are coming from unhealthy choices. Sounds like yours are coming from mostly healthy choices (nuts, coconut oil, avocado, etc). Those are good fats and in my mind...well, they just don't count! lol