Pre op sleever

Options
Hey all!
I have decided to get the gastric sleeve to have a permanent weight loss tool in place since I haven't been able to keep weight off for the past...ok since birth. So I am in the very early stages, was just approved B) and will have my dietary visit in a couple weeks. I want to get the weight loss ball rolling before that however. Does anyone have any tips for pre op weight loss? You know, before liquid hell. Thanks!

Replies

• wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And I think you'll be pleased with your decision about the sleeve. I would say eat a calorie deficit, let mfp calculate that for you. Weigh and measure your food also. Liquid diet is liquid hell! Lol. I only had to do three days before my surgery. I'm 4 years post op, sleeve
  • cup_o_jo
    cup_o_jo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was sleeved on 4/26 of this year. I followed a 1200 calorie, lower carb diet until 2 weeks before, then followed an 800 calorie/low carb diet until surgery. This is what my insurance recommended. It worked, and I was able to lose 24 lbs in 7 weeks.
  • MetallicHeart
    MetallicHeart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I am super excited about the surgery and I appreciate the advice. :)

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My pre-surgery diet was a preview of the post-surgery life. 1500 calories, 100g protein, 64 ounces water, log everything and start exercising. Putting those rules in order for me started me here and my five months pre-surgery were very valuable in training me for the post-surgery life. It was certainly difficult to make those changes in my life, but it was much easier than trying to do it post-surgery starting from scratch.

Try not to see the pre-surgery time as wasted time, put that time to use getting prepared. the weight *will* come off, but i look back at the pre-surgery time not as a time for weight loss as the goal, but as training where the weight loss was a natural byproduct.

I went into more details here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10123987/six-month-ramblings/p1

Good luck!

Rob

• MetallicHeart
    MetallicHeart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you Rob!
  • loridawn16701
    loridawn16701 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm also pre op. Going to 5 diet doc visit on 7-12. My advice is stay on track if you have a bad day it's ok. Start anew the next day. I quit everything cold turkey and have lost 47 lbs since march. You have to expect a life style change.