Keto and calories

Hello everyone,
I'm very interested in doing keto and normally mfp shows my calories being 1370. When I calculate with the keto calculator online it shows I'm supposed to eat almost 1700 a day. That is freaking me out because that sounds like way too much. Any input please? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• tmorgan66030
    tmorgan66030 Posts: 8 Member
    I would go with what calories you are comfortable with. I try to keep mine at 1500 or lower. What macros did it give you?
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    The keto calculator gave me way more calories than MFP as well. I've been following MFP calories mainly because it syncs with my fitbit, so tells me how much exercise calories to eat back and I don't have to do math everyday to figure it out... lol
  • armyesposa2001
    armyesposa2001 Posts: 5 Member
    tmorgan, I'm using 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Are you losing weight at 1370? You can keep that calorie count but use keto ratios.
  • shilahjean
    shilahjean Posts: 13 Member
    It took me over a month to really find the sweet spot for my calorie range bc the keto calculators only estimate and for me it was too high. My sweet spot is 1200 cals for steady weight loss. If I go above that I just maintain or gain.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I am older and metabolically damaged and my cals have to be lower or I gain fast. If you play around with it you will find what works for you. Also, keep in mind you may need to adjust as you lose body weight in order to keep losing. And it depends on how close you are to goal weight as well. Seems like most people slow down as they get closer to the goal. The macros look good.