Carb creep

Options
becwana
becwana Posts: 157 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
It's happening!!! I need to nip it in the bud right now!! I have not even craved or thought about foods I shouldn't eat and then yesterday, I was in the supermarket and they had samples of cookies and donuts and without even thinking I popped a bit of cookie in my mouth and then thought sod it and added a bit of donut 'oh it's only a bite of each, it won't hurt'.
Then today, just a couple of bites of a cheese scone.
That's all it took and now I feel bloated and bleurgh!
How is it possible to just mindlessly randomly do that when I didn't even want it and haven't eaten that stuff for months!?!

Replies

• jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Letting your guard down typically comes when you get really comfortable in your diet, due to success or long term use. If it happens to me I think I would get my permanent fix on this by making a KETO dessert recipe, and enjoying the crap out of that. I have a few I have saved for such an event..
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    It's happening!!! I need to nip it in the bud right now!! I have not even craved or thought about foods I shouldn't eat and then yesterday, I was in the supermarket and they had samples of cookies and donuts and without even thinking I popped a bit of cookie in my mouth and then thought sod it and added a bit of donut 'oh it's only a bite of each, it won't hurt'.
    How is it possible to just mindlessly randomly do that when I didn't even want it and haven't eaten that stuff for months!?!

I will not go to the grocery if I haven't had a filling meal in the last hour or so. I get tempted when I am feeling hungry. Had you eaten shortly before entering? I find once I start down the path, it is sooo easy to get lost in it.

Good luck on getting back on plan.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Isn't it crazy that a bite of sugar will set off a craving!
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience this week....started with a bite...yikes!! I was happy for the bloated crappy feeling as it made me kick those bites of refined carbs to the curb...I can see how easy it could cause a downward spiral. Plan for this week is different foods think I got too lazy making same things and I'm bored of them.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @jaymo602 -
    jaymo602 wrote: »
    Letting your guard down typically comes when you get really comfortable in your diet, due to success or long term use. If it happens to me I think I would get my permanent fix on this by making a KETO dessert recipe, and enjoying the crap out of that. I have a few I have saved for such an event..

Do you require bitcoins.... or could you persuaded to post them as a humanitarian gesture?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »

@becwana - You wouldn't take a sip of Drano or chew a glass shard just because someone offered you a taste. (Right?)

Same mindset should get you past the cookie and doughnut samples, if you just can't steer your cart around that aisle.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oh man, one "slip up" and I crave HARD for days. I am sorry you are going through this but you will get through!!! B)
  • becwana
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    Isn't it crazy that a bite of sugar will set off a craving!

Totally - I imagine all these little creatures in my brain waking up and going 'ooooh, sugar, we remember you!!!
    It was just so mindless! I'm my defence I've been extremely frazzled and busy and sleep deprived lately - this week I need to practice more mindfulness!

@RalfLott - that is a good way to think about it - I'm guessing Drano is drain cleaner right?? I think I need to do more reading about the rubbish that passes as food in this modern society as whenever I do, it reaffirms my intentions to steer away. Think of it as 'Non-food'! I'm on it!! ;)

• treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It happens live and learn I keep forgetting the learn part ! My cravings stopped and my bad day was Saturday. ..hope yours stop soon too.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I think this carb creep will be an ongoing struggle. I'd lost 130 lbs mostly on keto then since maintenence, I'm up and down 20 of those lbs several times. I haven't really found a sweet spot for handling carbs. It seems I just need to keep the carbs at 20g or else I just go carb crazy very soon after. so maintenance for me may just be fiddling with fats and protein and leaving the carbs alone. Sad for me, as I would love to be able to have a dessert sometimes, but for me that just leads to carb binging.
  • becwana
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    I think this carb creep will be an ongoing struggle. I'd lost 130 lbs mostly on keto then since maintenence, I'm up and down 20 of those lbs several times. I haven't really found a sweet spot for handling carbs. It seems I just need to keep the carbs at 20g or else I just go carb crazy very soon after. so maintenance for me may just be fiddling with fats and protein and leaving the carbs alone. Sad for me, as I would love to be able to have a dessert sometimes, but for me that just leads to carb binging.

If we could live in a bubble we'd be fine - it's just the bombardment of carbs is hard to withstand sometimes - and it is most people's normal - and indeed was my normal for so long, it makes sense why it would be so easy to slip back into bad habits!!
    130lbs is an amazing achievement by the way!! Well done you!!

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I did when I was at a fair the other day staring at maple flavored cotton candy, is I talked to myself about how toxic it was. I watched a 45 minute video someone posted in a thread here the other day about how badly sugar affects your body, and I thought of it as a poison. I was able to turn away and the craving for sweet went bye, eventually.

That is a great approach. Now that I am testing eating well over 50 grams of carbs (Sunday I expect was over 150) I still eat no sugar or grains. So far the carb cravings have not returned from eating only whole food carbs and the weight loss rate is high.

Culver's has Lemon Ice again and I tried it about a month ago but it was hard to stop wanting to repeat that experience but the chemicals were enough to say NO MORE.

For me at this point in time it is the kinds of carbs it seems more than the amount of carbs. At this point in time I have no plans to ever eat sugar and grains again.

I am just testing some ideas on myself and do NOT recommend this to others because I have already been full time nutritional ketosis for nearly two years having maintained at 200 for the last year after LCHF had helped my health issues resolve.

Basically the idea comes from The FAST Metabolism Diet book by Haylie Pomroy which to date is the most common sense diet book I have yet read. Maybe it is because she is an Aggie.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As I read this, I am having my higher carb treat: blueberries with whole goat milk kefir and heavy cream. I just add the heavy cream to balance out all the carbs! If you do have a carby day, you could balance it with a day of fasting. I have starting to incorporate regular fasts into my week, and I started losing weight, even though I wasn't trying to. I didn't think I could lose anymore weight, honestly.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I did when I was at a fair the other day staring at maple flavored cotton candy, is I talked to myself about how toxic it was. I watched a 45 minute video someone posted in a thread here the other day about how badly sugar affects your body, and I thought of it as a poison. I was able to turn away and the craving for sweet went bye, eventually.

Do you still have that link by chance?
  • eileenhernandez456
    eileenhernandez456 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »

This is me too... I feel your pain!