How did you get hooked on SYSK? When? (If you can remember)

Options
Lovethesnow35
Lovethesnow35 Posts: 2,070 Member
My friend suggested "Ted talks" since I live an hour from work. I started with that for a few. Then started looking around at what else was out there and this was the one! 2015. I've dabbled a bit since with "stuff mom never told you", "stuff they don't want you to know" and "stuff you missed in history class". SYSK keeps me from texting and driving! I always spread the word!

Replies

• lazydaisy09
    lazydaisy09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started looking for motivational podcasts years ago, the browsing around led me to sysk. It's been a few years now and I still love the show. Wish it was daily!
  • Lovethesnow35
    Options
    Cute pic!! I have been listening 2x daily and still haven't caught up. I'm sure I'll be a mess when I get caught up. I'm addicted and love it!
  • MelodyBri
    MelodyBri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love history, and found the Stuff you Missed in History podcast back when it had just started, and it directed me to Stuff you should know.
  • gottawearchades
    gottawearchades Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually saw a post on Imgur recommending different podcasts. This was top of the list. I work at a desk all day and they keep me occupied all day. Makes my day go a lot faster now!
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I got hooked while working on the railroad! The first podcast was the refridgerator one, so fairly new listener compared to some! Hey fellow fans!
  • Lovethesnow35
    Options
    It's nice to see faces and hear stories of SYSK fans thanks for posting!
  • lmgroupiegirl
    lmgroupiegirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't remember when I started listening...maybe the 2nd year? I love listening when I'm doing housework (hate housework, anything to distract me!) and now that I'm trying to get fit I listen while I take walks.
  • Lovethesnow35
    Options
    I also listen while doing housework.
  • Monkeyeliza
    Monkeyeliza Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I stumbled on SYSK while on the hunt for reading for the blind station equivalents. I'm not blind, but our local station reads nonfiction in the morning and fiction later, and I kinda dig it on my commute. Couldn't find what I was looking for, and this podcast app recommended SYSK since I had added NPR. No idea what my first topic was. My first love was the one on horses.
    Having SYSK with me at work makes my job a lot more enjoyable. It's like having role models for friendships. A little bit silly, a little bit nerdy, always positive, and forever encouraging.
  • Lovethesnow35
    Options
    I love the final sentence! Couldn't say it better than that! Thank you for sharing! And I love ur photo!
  • KHenneBee
    KHenneBee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We moved to a city where my commute was all on public transportation. I started listening after my husband recommended it. I especially enjoyed their company while on maternity leave! I thank SYSK for not letting my brain turn to total mush! I don't remember the first one I listened to but some that stick out are the male and female puberty episodes, BASE jumping, Mars and Operations Mince Meat.
  • Lovethesnow35
    Options
    I can't remember my first one either. I was hooked right from the start and started binge listening. I remember a lot of bees and stuff from the beginning i listen out of order. I'm one of those.
  • bandithansen
    bandithansen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't remember my first episode but it was about 2 years ago. I listened to about 10 before I decided to go to the beginning and listen in order. I am almost up to current (I also heard about this group on the chigger episode). It was hard sometimes to want to chime in my opinion in listener mail but couldn't, because the episode was from several years ago! I also missed a live show in my area which was a heart breaker :( I always keep the tipping episode on saved though, I LOVE that episode, makes me laugh every time.
  • Lovethesnow35
    Options
    I have always wanted to write in but haven't
  • chercher82
    chercher82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been listening forever it seems like, 2010 I think. I wanted something to listen to at work and was just looking at podcasts and picked a few including nerdiest and some NPR. I think the first episode I listened to was about redheads feeling less pain, because my kid is a redhead. Or maybe the ocean trash patch. Somewhere in there.
  • ewalker9
    ewalker9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My cousin suggested podcasts after hearing how much I liked audio books (how did I miss that connection?) and SYSK was top on his list. I deal much better with life's unpredictable events when I understand. So SYSK has been there for me understanding how to help my loved ones who've dealt with Alzheimer's, addiction, panic attacks, just to name a few. As an educator, I love how well they explain complex things so simply.
  • Lovethesnow35
    Options
    ewalker9 wrote: »
    My cousin suggested podcasts after hearing how much I liked audio books (how did I miss that connection?) and SYSK was top on his list. I deal much better with life's unpredictable events when I understand. So SYSK has been there for me understanding how to help my loved ones who've dealt with Alzheimer's, addiction, panic attacks, just to name a few. As an educator, I love how well they explain complex things so simply.
    I really enjoy that part of it also. Dealt with family going thru things and I was able to find out more about it by listening to sysk. Thank you for sharing!
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had some health problems when I started listening, about 5 years ago. Josh and Chuck kept me giggling as I learned new things. I can't say enough good things about the podcast!
  • Lovethesnow35
    Options
    I had some health problems when I started listening, about 5 years ago. Josh and Chuck kept me giggling as I learned new things. I can't say enough good things about the podcast!

I hope that those health problems have gone away for you! Thanks for posting!
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options

I hope that those health problems have gone away for you! Thanks for posting!

Very much appreciated..