water intake

Options
tugsandpulls760
tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
how much water you drink do you do 8 8oz glass or the new standard 1/2 your body weight

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have to beat myself senseless to get 64 oz, including coffee and tea, so no way I'm drinking 80 oz!
  • tugsandpulls760
    Options
    Coffee don't count as water it dehydrator
  • tugsandpulls760
    Options
    I would have to drink a gallon a day
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Counting all fluids, I can easily come close to a gallon a day without batting an eye. However, I've always been a thirsty person; one of the hardest things for me after surgery was having to take such small sips. I felt like I was constantly thirsty for months.

Depending on your reference source, coffee does count toward fluid intake. Caffeine can act as a mild diuretic but, assuming fluid intake is otherwise sufficient, it has little impact on overall hydration for most people.

Caffeine has been shown to interfere with absorption of some vitamins and minerals; for post-op patients, that's a more logical reason to avoid it than hydration needs. It can also aggravate reflux which is also a challenge post-op.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Meh to coffee isn't water. It's made of water. It's water. And since the alternative is probably not drinking anything, I'm counting it. Most importantly, coffee has been one of the few substances with which I can tolerate taking protein powder, so with my nut's blessing that is how I start my day, every day.

I'm also almost two years out, nearly at goal, and a runner. No reflux (off PPIs for a year). My biggest nutritional challenge is iron--which nets me a 2-oz serving of OJ every day, too. I definitely drink more when it's hot outside. I'll probably drink a half gallon of unsweetened tea by the end of the day, and that is surely getting counted as well.

Rules of thumb are just that. It's important to listen to your own body and your nutritionist to make a plan that works and that you'll stick with. I could go my entire life without another bubbly soda, but I knew going in that coffee would, barring it making me ill, be back in my life after my healing period was over.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm always thirsty so I drink as much as I can get in.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Meh to coffee isn't water. It's made of water. It's water. And since the alternative is probably not drinking anything, I'm counting it. Most importantly, coffee has been one of the few substances with which I can tolerate taking protein powder, so with my nut's blessing that is how I start my day, every day.

I'm also almost two years out, nearly at goal, and a runner. No reflux (off PPIs for a year). My biggest nutritional challenge is iron--which nets me a 2-oz serving of OJ every day, too. I definitely drink more when it's hot outside. I'll probably drink a half gallon of unsweetened tea by the end of the day, and that is surely getting counted as well.

Rules of thumb are just that. It's important to listen to your own body and your nutritionist to make a plan that works and that you'll stick with. I could go my entire life without another bubbly soda, but I knew going in that coffee would, barring it making me ill, be back in my life after my healing period was over.

I make my own vitamin water...1/4 cup Trop50 orange juice, a flavor packet of some variety, open up a Bariatric Advantage plus Iron capsule, water and ice to make 20 ounces or so (the occasional pinch of salt). It has to be agitated before each drink, but it goes down easier than swallowing my vitamins whole and the vitamin C, as you already know, helps with the iron absorption. It also helps me avoid inadvertently taking my vitamin with something that is going to inhibit absorption.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do about 120oz a day - this includes a cup of coffee...I can tell immediately if I am not on pace with my water (headachy and foggy). I drink like it's my job because that is exactly what it is :)